1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

VR: "Proper" mirrors option

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Obrom, May 31, 2017.

1. Obrom

Obrom Rookie

I know this may be performance intensive, however it would be wonderful option to have for VR immersion.

Proper mirrors.

What do I mean?
    Quite simply mirrors which look and act like mirrors!
    For example, they should have two things which are currently missing:

Depth: Mirrors have depth, they do not look like you are looking at a painting. your eyes must focus past the surface of the mirror to focus on the object you are looking at in the mirror.
    They should have stereoscopy.

Angle dependent:
    Obviously if you move your head and are looking at the mirror from a different position, what you can see in the mirror should also reflect the difference in your viewing position. When you stand 1m to the right of your bathroom mirror, and then move 1m back or 1m to the left, what you can see in the mirrors changes. This currently does not happen for the mirrors in the game.

Basically I am complaining that the mirrors in the game in VR currently act like LCD screens showing footage from a camera stuck in a fixed position, rather than actual mirrors. This is a real immersion breaker in the game when you try to move your head a little to see something which is just off your mirror, but it doesn't make any difference, completely unlike real life or how mirrors actually behave.

Rfactor2 vr currently has stereoscopy in the mirrors which is reallly nice.

Opel-King likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay AI unable to do pitsops properly and generally worse since GT2 update Feb 4, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Set AI Skill Properly Mar 30, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Unable to propery set brake pressure Jan 20, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds How to get proper resolution? Jan 17, 2022
    ACC User Interface not every setup property has got a help description afais Aug 16, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Game not closing properly Jul 31, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Wheel off center despite properly calibrated Mar 19, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting 1.7.6 Crash Loading Replays [audio system not initializing properly] Mar 19, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer Improper use of "&swap" causes server crash Feb 26, 2021
    General modding discussion HEADLIGHTS NOT WORKING PROPERLY Feb 3, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer Pit stop not happen even when everything set properly Jan 23, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer "teamName" property is always null in result files Nov 13, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting [ SOLVED ] Logitech Gamepad F710 not working properly , recognized as wheel... Aug 4, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Proper setup of an arbitrary direct input controller as a wheel - when? Aug 4, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec Podium Button Module Endurance Leds/Display not working properly Jul 26, 2020

3. mms

mms Alien

I just checked and I don't have stereoscopic mirrors in rF2, is there any special settings to activate it?

4. Obrom

Obrom Rookie

I could be mistaken, maybe it was positional in Rf2.
    LFS has perfect mirrors though..

5. CoolSpy

CoolSpy Rookie

Mirrors in iRacing are angle dependent. Although it looks cool and is handy (to avoid dead angles), it not very well implemented. It is kind of weird actually, the angle shifting does not feel natural. It's a good thing all things considered though.
    Not sure about performance impact but I know simracing devs seem to struggle a bit with mirrors as it draws performance quit alot.

6. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I can answer this one..

Its a limitation of ac im afraid.

I have worked directly with panky on this and there are fine tweaks which can be made to the position.. but all the mirrors display is a direct rear view camera..

Some cars, the older ones are worse than the later ones.. the L49 for example..

Some of the new ones are better but they will never have mirrors like iracing or lfs.

7. Serge M

Serge M Alien

If you had proper mirror you will find roll cages and all sorts of stuff in them as well, would be cool though

8. Obrom

Obrom Rookie

Was looking at this, the reflections on the cars themselves work perfectly like this, with stereoscopy / change in position based on viewing angle already... so it's already in the game, just not on the mirrors themselves!

9. Opel-King

Opel-King Racer

We need mirrors like iracing! In iR you see parts of your car in the mirror and can change the view with head moves like real life.

10. Obrom

Obrom Rookie

I have just now also discovered, this is already in the game, just turned off for cockpit view!
    If you have a rift and you press F1, then the mirrors behave correctly, stereoscopic, view dependent, all perfect! (as long as you have reflections options turned to max)
    In my most likely ignorant point of view, it appears that "all" the devs would have to do is enable this for cockpit view also, and then probably update the mirrors geometry for probably every car in the game..

11. Stereo

Stereo Alien

That uses the reflection map, which is not rendering a bunch of things (including other vehicles)

12. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

The mirror in LFS are very well implemented, would be fantastic to have those in AC.
    To me that is the main thing I would like to see next in AC, everything else is, from my point of view "perfect", as good enough that I can live with it for a long time.

13. Vannipo

Vannipo Rookie

It is just a question of performance.
    If u want to have 3 mirros in VR in 3D, u need 6 cameras to be rendered at the same time. And these cameras need to be calculated in position according to ur headmovement to any mirror.

It is possible to implement that perfectly (not simulated). U can calculate this. But the performance of that whole stuff... Heavy.

14. Vannipo

Vannipo Rookie

This is the way, how a head dependant mirror reflection is calculated. E.g. for the left eye. Just a scheme, I did for you.

[​IMG]

Btw, to see what u want to see, makes it nessecary to adjust the angle of any mirror. Like in reality :D

15. slopps

slopps Simracer

so basically.............you want the mirrors like in iracing. Thats all you had to say (unless you've never played iracing in which case fair enough lol).
    The mirrors are awful in AC - you can't see your own car's bodywork in them so it makes it difficult to gauge any perspective on how close the guy behind is.
    On top of that it seems so distorted that when the guy looks like he's on your bumper, he's actually still 5m away.

yes i know "objects appear closer than they appear" but in AC its exagerrated. That + no car bodywork makes it very difficult.

Vannipo and detoit like this.