1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What are these 'Baseline setups' that you speak?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andysonofbob, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Andysonofbob

Andysonofbob Gamer

Just watched another excellent GamerMuscleVideos video about when car setups don't matter. The idea is that setup are pointless until you are consistent on the track.

BUT

it was also implied that you do need a decent baseline, or whatever, setup to start.

Could someone point me in a direction for this? What I have been doing so far is to use SideKick, run a couple of laps, after the pressures have settled see how I need to adjust them to get them as close to 0 psi from optimum and adjust them accordingly. And that's it.

What else should be considered?

Thanks!

Tim Meuris and paul_wev like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge How to share clips to Assetto Corsa club Mar 17, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Career - Bonus objectives not awarded. Feb 25, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Maserati MC20 GT2 Tracion Control Cut (TC2) reported via Shared Memory API Feb 6, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Servers are offline Jan 27, 2024
    Bug reports problem changing TC on mclaren 720 evo. Loss of power Jan 26, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.6 update and GT2 Pack DLC are OUT NOW! Jan 24, 2024
    Chit Chat Room we are in the design of a force feedback pedals. Jan 20, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds All AI cars on all tracks are driving 50 mph during race! Jan 14, 2024
    ACC Physics Differentiate AC and ACC Shared Memory With Different Naming. Jan 3, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Career Duration Setting? Nov 26, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Career Oct 22, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Fanatec Arena Settings Oct 10, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Clear Calibration software logitech - anyone have this? Oct 2, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting GPU consumption rise if you enter menu options while water trails are rendered Aug 13, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars McLaren 720S GT3 EVO -dashboard - TC and ABS wrong on startup Aug 10, 2023

3. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

Gearing, ride height, aerodynamic balance (wings) and mechanical balance (springs & anti-roll bars).

xthenewkid, Tim Meuris, mms and 2 others like this.
  4. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Id say best to learn to make a setup, once you have run a car anywhere most similar tracks wont need massive changes. Jump into a server one run can give you an idea of pressures, gearing etc. Then simply make basic changes as needed each run.

Its really not rocket science and if you like to drive race cars with adjustable setups then best to learn how to use these cars to their potential. If you dont like setups pick basic road cars and race them, the biggest difference between a race and road car is tyres, aero and adjustability on setup. Having more aero isnt that big a deal as everyone in the car has this same as better tyres. This makes the key difference in these the setup options so choose the cars you want to race depending on how much effort you want to put in to it.

I find it funny how many say there is no point racing anything but race cars, then complain that they need a setup to get the most out of it. :rolleyes:

MrDeap likes this.
  5. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

I disagree that setups are pointless and doesn't matter, but a baseline setup can't be anything else than the default setup, because if anything else the point being made in the video will be completely pointless.

Tomcul likes this.
  6. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

That is true. In layman's terms: If you were given a brand new car you've never driven, you can still become consistent with it around a track with enough experience. Once you get to where you understand how the car works (even though it works poorly) you better understand what can be done to make it faster.

Having never driven that car, how can you possibly know what to do to it that will help you? You don't. The odds are just as good that whatever change you make will hurt you.

The best thing to do is use the default setup, save it as your own setup, and work on it after you get consistent with it. I'd go to a decent track that isn't very large like Nurburgring GT. It's got a little of everything and isn't so long it gets annoying racking up laps.

Once you can put together 8 or 10 laps within a second of each other, then you can start making some changes to see how to improve the car.

From there it's trail and error.

The big problem with downloading and using someone else's setup is that they may drive completely differently from you. You can try it, but don't be surprised when after 4 or 5 blown laps you ask yourself, "how the hell does this guy drive this thing like this?"

7. Andysonofbob

Andysonofbob Gamer

Thanks for all the replies!

I am really enjoying AC but know very little about the sport. Absolutely nothing about the technical stuff.

Gearing: At least I understand this one. Is there a typical strategy here though?

Ride height: as low as possible?

Aerodynamic balance (wings): no idea

Mechanical balance (springs & anti-roll bars): also no idea

8. mms

mms Alien

Can you recommend a guide how to set those things up, I have some basic understanding and read different guides, but sometimes there are some conflicts in them and I'm getting mixed results...

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  9. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

I'm not that fast, but I can run the same lap every single lap. The key is not to waste a gear. You'll notice some default setups you'll never make it to the top gear of the car. That tells you right then and there that you need a change. Example: Monza. Some of the default setups (especially on 7 speed transmissions) are so tall you'll never make it out of 6th gear. If that's the case, you can change the gear ratio to what in setup will appear to be a lower top speed, but a more usable range. Of course, the opposite applies if you come out of parabolica and run out of top end and are bouncing on the red line before you hit the breaking zone.

Not in this game, pal. The tracks here, for the most part, are VERY accurately modeled. It's not a sheet of glass you're running on like many other games. You get the ride height too low and you'll constantly bottom out to the point all kinds of bad things will happen to you and you wont understand why. Be VERY careful messing with the ride height.

I never change that much at all. The default setups are, by and large, pretty good. I might tweak the front or rear to dial in more under/over steer as needed, but that's about it. It's a matter of preference, really. Just don't jack your wings up on a speed circuit because you keep blowing one tight corner and make yourself a sitting duck by killing your top end the rest of the way. (Vice versa applies, of course.)

Nobody does. LOL.

You'd might as well sacrifice a live chicken, put down a three-legged rain turtle and bow down before a graven image before you start messing with that.

Ace Pumpkin and Andysonofbob like this.
  10. Andysonofbob

Andysonofbob Gamer

Awesome!

So leave this alone then? Can one reduce it a little? Even a couple of CMs? If so, lower the front the same amount as the back? Is there a way to know how much one can reduce blind?

So for this and...

So, just leave these alone?

At least that minimises the requirements for a noob like me!!! Experimenting when you have no idea what the setting even mean is a PITA especially when it can take a good 10 mins to test each config! Yes I know...

Gearing makes sense and can easily be judged on the track. :)

BTW - Is my tire pressure adjustment method a resonable one?
    • use SideKick,
    • run a couple of laps,
    • after the pressures have settled see how I need to adjust them to get them as close to 0 psi from optimum
    • adjust them accordingly.
    • Rpt until 4 tires as close to 0 as possible.

11. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

I would leave the ride height alone. For now at least.

As for the suspension, that's trial and error. I rarely mess with it. The only car I've done extensive work on is the McLaren F1 GT. It did help, but not a quantum leap. After weeks of playing with it I think I shave just over a second off my time at Monza and about 2 seconds off of Spa.

So, yeah. It can make a difference.

Thing is, if you go out and run laps at Monza in any given car and get consistent with it, and lets say you're running 2:00 flat, there's no magical setup that's going to instantly shave 10 seconds off your lap and get you down to 1:50.

This is not an arcade game. It doesn't work that way.

You'll be clawing and biting and tweaking setups for 10th's of a second, not full seconds. That of course assumes you're driving properly to begin with.

Andysonofbob likes this.
  12. Turk

Turk Alien

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Game&track yet? It's a youtube channel ran by the all knowing Aristotelis. There are a few guides to specific parts of setting up a car. In one of the videos ride height is used but it's used to undo the height change that stiffening the suspension brought about.

The only real setup I do in any car is to get tyre pressures right, gearing for the end of the longest straight and some camber adjustments to get a 10 degree difference between the inside and the outside of the car. I don't even know if that kind of camber adjustment is right I just remember hearing somewhere that it shouldn't go above 10 degrees of a difference inside to outside.

But consistency is key, if you can't do the same lap over and over again you're just not going to be able to know if the changes you made in the setup have made things better or worse.

13. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

^^ Says it all.

In Aris's videos the ride height is changed to keep the suspension geometry correct after making spring changes. On the pit screen you'll see the ride height displayed, make a note of this with the car in it's default set up. If you change the spring settings etc.. the ride height will change too. You can then change the ride height , if it's adjustable on the car set options, to move this back to it's default value which keeps the suspension geometry correct.

There's a thread on here somewhere with the videos (sorry, can't be arsed searching it out just now)

Andysonofbob likes this.
  14. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

The funniest part are those who only drive race cars & claim setup is pointless. After they claim road car need the highest adjustment.

It's not totally false, but a lot of hypocrisy left & right.

@Andysonofbob
    I keep my setup guide updated, but give a rough idea what to do. I don't know everything, but at least I take my time linking, explaining roughly what those setting do from point A to point B.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=912315488

How you input your accelerator, brake & steering, what line you use affect what is optimal for the setup.

Andysonofbob likes this.
  15. xthenewkid

xthenewkid Gamer

In terms of ride height you can use the Aero app. Usually you keep the rear a little higher than the front. In the aero app you can see how much downforce (CL) each part of the car creates. You can go as low as possible in the front but you will see that the front loses a massive amount of downforce at a certain height (especially when brakeing). You should then increase the ride height (or stiffen the suspension) so far that this won't happen anymore.

On tracks like Spa for example your front gets even lower than when brakeing in some corners (Eau Rouge). When you notice massive understeer, too low rode height might be the reason.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Andysonofbob and MrDeap like this.
  16. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

I learned something new. Is the aero app is available in stock form in the game or you have to enable the dev app to be able to use it?

Exploit FTW.

Andysonofbob likes this.
  17. xthenewkid

xthenewkid Gamer

No idea tbh. I have dev apps enabled since i got the game. But enabling them is not hard nor a crime if im not mistaken

Andysonofbob likes this.
  18. LChaves

LChaves Hardcore Simmer

It's a dev app.

I don't know why someone would call it an exploit... the way it's used is basically live telemetry.

Andysonofbob likes this.
  19. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

@LChaves It's because the front lose a massive amount of downforce when lowered at a certain height & you can only see it through the dev app or a third party app.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_exploits
    So-called exploits, in this view, are not cheats because they do not change the game in any way and therefore could be accessible to all players if they know how to do it.

Without this procedure with having those tool, you'll never get the max front downforce unless you do it by luck.

Since I had no idea & not mentioned in any guide, it is an exploit.

Andysonofbob likes this.
  20. xthenewkid

xthenewkid Gamer

Tbh in reality teams don't setup cars only by the feeling of the driver.

Well but now you know it because you read my guide :D

Andysonofbob likes this.
  21. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Anyone who knows things that I don't is exploiting the game. I'm not being a retard. At all.