1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What steering wheel do you suggest for drifting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Sgt.Kanyo, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Sgt.Kanyo

Sgt.Kanyo Gamer

Alright guys, so I have a Logitech G27 with the H shifter and it was alright, however it has a major design flaw. The calibration module on these things **** up after time. You can find tons calibration related problems on the internet.
    Basically there's a small (obviously) plastic gear on a metal rod and in time, this little plastic gear breaks messing up your calibration making you have to buy a whole new wheel. Now I did take the wheel apart, and I once glued the little gear back together, but guess what, after a few months it cracked again, and now it's so bad, it just cannot be fixed.

So my question is, what steering wheels do you guys suggest for heavy, throwing around action? I drift a lot, so it needs to be durable. Also as a **** you to Logitech, I'd prefer if it wasn't Logitech, but I'm not strictly excluding their products.
    I'm looking in the same price range, definitely not more. Also please write a reason why you'd want to suggest it.

Thanks

baboon likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions Problem with G29 steering wheel Mar 17, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is it possible to hide steering wheel on XSX? Nov 26, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Xbox steering wheel support Aug 9, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Invisible steering wheel/driver and greyed out button Jul 23, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Bentley GT3 Animated steering wheel not moving Jun 23, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals v1.9 Game fps decrease at 0 fps when I turn on the steering wheel May 11, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Ferrari 296 steering wheel animation Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Steering wheels & Linux OS Feb 14, 2023
    Bug reports Unable to join private servers with steering wheel settings selected (g923) on XSX. Jul 22, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Steering wheel rotation problem G923 Jul 11, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals steering wheel lock value in-game doesn´t change Jun 4, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Compeotizione - G923 - turning steering wheel freezes graphics but sound still plays Mar 27, 2022
    Steering wheels discussions assetto corsa steering wheel problem Mar 7, 2022
    ACC User Interface In car selection screen, rotation, zoom in/out by steering wheel needed Feb 8, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Ps4 G29 Steeringwheel and pedal input are not werking. Dec 28, 2021

3. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

In principle I'd suggest a direct drive wheel for that, because that's when drifting becomes really interesting.
    Can't drift more naturally than with DD because the fidelity allows for the steering wheel to be positioned exactly where it would be in the real car (self-aligning torque etc.).
    It took me maybe a week to learn how to drift with reduced lock-to-lock in my old Fanatec wheel, it took me about 15-30min to work it out on the DD system.

Having said that – and I admit it might not have been the most useful paragraph – it will likely be out of your price range, even if you only consider a wheel for drifting (thus no buttons on the steering wheel etc.).
    But the basic message is: look for turning speed. Anything that can turn fast should be a good bet.
    From what I've heard the Thrustmasters are quite capable and there are some within the range of the Logitech G-series. I'm not sure if there are differences in FFB and speed between the respective variants, but I guess others can jump in on that.
    The Fanatec CSL and CSW are quite fast as well, but it might be that they are out of your budget as well.
    If you can afford the CSW v2.5, I guess it would be the best choice for you and with a simple wheel rim like the P1 it isn't that expensive.
    Unfortunately, if you go beyond that, even with a simple drift wheel it would be quite expensive since you can't just purchase a quick release, instead you have to purchase the universal hub as well (which is expensive).
    e.g. their drift wheel costs 479€, which is huuuuuuuuugely overpriced, but it's almost exclusively down to the universal hub.
    Might be that there are 3rd party quick release adapters available, didn't check.

OliW likes this.
  4. baboon

baboon Alien

Ace Pumpkin and chksix like this.
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

There is a low-cost Direct-drive DIY system using a stepper motor that should provide quick response but, I don't have details. The cost figures hinted at being in the TM wheel range depending on wheel / controls / QR, etc. Stepper-motors aren't as powerful or precise as higher quality servo-motors but, they are much less costly and as the AccuForce demonstrates, it's not that far from the low-end servo units either although, the AF uses a custom-spec stepper.

Link

6. Sgt.Kanyo

Sgt.Kanyo Gamer

I'm no pro-drifter, so I'm not that hyped to get a DD wheel (honestly this is the first time I'm hearing about it), I just need a wheel that won't break. Also thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want no DIY wheel. I just want an already assembled one, that you can buy in a shop, but I appreciate the effort.

@baboon
    I did try taking it apart 2 times, but I'm not sure if I could replace the encoder, since it's on a rod and I have absolutely no idea how to take that apart. I only know how to have access to the side of the optical encoder. Also shouldn't that little thing have a hole in it where the rod goes through?

7. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Didn't want to suggest that you buy a DD wheel. As I said it's likely out of your budget. What I just wanted to say is that DD showed me that speed really matters in this case.
    So speed is what you want to watch out for. ;)

8. baboon

baboon Alien

Sorry I can't help you there. I also tried to glue the one from my G25 but it did broke again like yours. Because my G25 was so old (over 5 years) and also had shifter problems I decided against getting ordering the replacement encoder and got me a new G27. I don't drift that much so I hope it will reach 5 years too before it breaks :)

9. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Is the failing encoder wheel an issue with G29 too?

10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Rest assure of that, because your wheel, the G29 is almost only a repackaging of a G27.
    So good look with it.

chksix likes this.
  11. Yohnny240

Yohnny240 Hardcore Simmer

It is tight (and it needs to be) but can be pulled with fingers and maybe flat screwdriver as leverage after small circuit board around it has been removed.

The brass one @baboon linked is perfect but if the old one isn't completely broken it could be held together with washer. In the picture it's placed badly and one hole is double sized but it somehow still worked. :D I still switched to the replacement part as I had already ordered it but properly done this fix should be very durable and lot cheaper.

[​IMG]

baboon and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  12. Sgt.Kanyo

Sgt.Kanyo Gamer

Well tbh I'd rather buy a new wheel. As I've said preferrably from a different maker. It looks like as others said the G29 ain't no good either.
    And my H shifter is messing up as well. 1st is sometimes 1st, but sometimes 3rd, 2nd is sometimes 2nd, but sometimes 4th. And when you're doing a timed lap on the nordschleife and the H shifters ****s up for the 4th time... well let me tell you, you won't feel relaxed, but at least you'll be pissed off.
    Any thoughts on the Thrustmasters?

13. Matty28

Matty28 Simracer

My Thrustmaster TX has been great for drifting. I used to have a Fanatec CSR and I remember having to drag the wheel around myself because the FFB wasn't strong/fast enough which I don't have to do anymore with the TX. The difference between it and a G27 should be even greater since the G27 is imprecise and slower than the CSR was. Not too much money either now. T300RS is the same thing if you want PS4 compatibility.

14. ZethGAF

ZethGAF Simracer

Thrustmaster TX, T300, TS-PC. Fanatecs too, but more pricey probably. These are all belt-driven wheels that are a bit faster and more powerful than the Logitechs.

15. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

baboon likes this.
  16. Sgt.Kanyo

Sgt.Kanyo Gamer

The thrustmaster tx does sound nice, especially with the 458 wheel, but they don't have an H shifter. Do they have any common issues?

17. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

The H shifter is an addon (Thrustmaster TH8A), but it's the shifter with the best value for money around.
    Using mine (TH8RS, but it's the same thing, just without console compatibility) for a 3-4 years now and it works very well. Not perfect, but good.

The Logitech H-shifters just suck. The Fanatec CSS does seem to work very well at the beginning, but I've heard of a lot of them breaking down.

So IMO, the 125€ there are a good investment, even if you end up with a wheel from a different manufacturer.

18. moz9rt

moz9rt Rookie

g27 is good, if you have the dough, go higher and buy a ehandbrake made by fanatec, or if you know how to build, youtube has tuts to make own.
    the fanatecc sell for $100

19. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

G27 is too slow for drifting. At least when you use full 900 degrees rotation.

20. moz9rt

moz9rt Rookie

really? im good i never felt it was slow, i can spin it back 360 in like 1 sec and maintain drifts.

maybe its true. but i never use other wheel. its easy to compensate when the car is going fast during counter-steer,
    but if thats true, then other users need less brake to control counter-steer.
    i always brake a little, especially during 3rd gear when the counter-steer starts to shift on me.

21. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

It is indeed slow by itself due to a weak motor and also has a lot of mechanical damping which affects how fast you can rotate it by hands.
    Watch any real car drift video and see how fast the wheel turns by itself. This is just the first video I googled and I've seen it spinning even faster:

So, yes, you can drift with G-27, but it will be very unnatural due to the wheel's inherent shortcomings

Ace Pumpkin, baboon and moz9rt like this.