1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Where to start with suspension set up?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by psittacus, Jan 15, 2015.

1. psittacus

psittacus Rookie

I have decided I need to learn how to set up the suspension on cars, I can usually do a basic setup without too much difficulty gears, brakes, toe and camber, overstear/understear but when it comes to suspension setups I've no idea where to start!
    Any suggestions for a good car and track to start with? I had thought of Brands Hatch as it has quite a bumpy road surface & kerbs, It's a track I like & know it well so wouldn't have to learn a new track but any car/track combo suggestions would help.
    The information given in the game for each part of the suspension is very good but what it doesn't help with is "where to start" with specific problems, eg: Rumble strips that cause you to oversteer or lose control etc.
    I have found that default setups are very good and with a few tweeks to gears, toe, camber, brakes etc I can lap consistently, it's only when I try pushing for faster laps that it's apparent that I need to do more to the setup and that usually means the suspension.
    I have tried messing with suspension settings but not having much success usually ends in frustration. I don't believe I'm the only one with these problems in simracing and think it's a good reason many people leave sims and go to more arcade games for their racing fix.
    Any advice or links to easy to understand "where to start" on suspension setups would be a great help.

Thanks for reading and any replys.

Blamer and Janos Liszkai like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer Is it possible to set the Dedi where the Practice/Qualify timer starts even if no body joins Apr 4, 2021
    ACC User Interface How do I know where sectors start/finish? Dec 8, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer So where has the accserver.exe gone..game just patched [Restart Steam!] Oct 7, 2020
    General modding discussion Differentials in modded car from scratch - where to start Jul 22, 2016
    Chit Chat Room kinda new to the sim racing. where should i start? May 12, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Where can I change my starting position in the race? Mar 20, 2014
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Where to start? Feb 26, 2014
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Where to start? Nov 13, 2013
    General modding discussion Where can I find all the versions? Mar 16, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Sound reverb everywhere AC Mar 16, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Where do you find the the driver assist settings? Jan 31, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Where is the tire.ini [tyre.ini] file in AC [not Competizione]? Nov 5, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Does anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DDoes anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Where Are the AC forums? I don't have Competizione. Apr 13, 2023

3. F1Dave

F1Dave Racer

Im no expert but...
    Easy simple advice I can give is hard suspension = over steer, soft = under steer, you will have to work out whats best for each track and find a balance that suits your style :)
    Take that into consideration and should give you a slightly better understanding, if you want to dig more advanced into this sort of thing there is a great load of info on Race department forum but try not to let it exploded you head :)
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-car-setup-guides.99049/

psittacus likes this.
  4. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handling/handling

I found this guide somewhere in this forum. Springs, shocks, ARBs amongst other parts explained. Cleared up some things for me. Hope it will help.

Cheers

Edit: it doesn't cover advanced race suspensions settings though. It is focused on road/trackday machines tuning. Good read IMO anyway

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    psittacus likes this.
  5. psittacus

psittacus Rookie

Thanks guys I've got a free day today so will try printing off these guides and settle down for a day of suspension tweeking.

6. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

All cars in AC come with as close to the real life default setup as possible.
    As such, follow this workflow.

Street cars
    - Start with camber.
    Maximize negative front camber on street cars. They are limited anyway for track use and the more you can use (negative) the better.
    - Lower tyre pressures.
    For track use I suggest pressures under 30psi, even under 25 psi for very light cars. Don't overdo it, it won't pay. I'd go 25-27 for heavy cars, 22-25 for light cars.
    Play with a difference front/rear pressure to balance the car. The axis with less pressure will have better grip (usually, not a rule of thumb for exaggerated values)

You can then play with toe values later, but that's all really for street cars and all that you need.

Race cars.
    - Understand the engine characteristics and work on the gearbox ratios to have the correct ratio for each corner exit/apex.
    Usually 300rpm less than max torque revs for low torque cars, and 600-800rpm for high torque cars.
    The gearbox alone can give you a second so to speak

- Check the Aero balance by modifying the wings. Once you have found a balance and drag compromise you're happy with, go back to the gearbox and fiddle again.

- Camber all around. More at the front, less at the rear. Race slicks can use tons of negative camber. -3.5 to -4 should be used at front. Rear around -2 but with exceptions from -1 to -3. As a rule of thumb, if the car has too much turn in oversteer, raise rear camber, but you'll have less traction.
    If your turn speeds got higher after that, fiddle with the gearbox again.

If the balance is still not what you like...
    - Play with the arbs. The explanations in the setup tool tips should be enough.
    - Still not good? Play with the Springs.

When you have played with springs, you'd need to check the ride height and then go to the Dampers and fix any bad behaviors. Dampers is the most complicated thing to understand, feel and setup. Not easy to setup.

Everything you do on a race car setup, always start the cycle again. Don't change many things at a time. Ideally just a couple of click, try, understand, see what the clock says (ultimate judge) and start the cycle again.

Have fun :)

(ok enough time out from me, back to the drawing board, workworkwork)

7. psittacus

psittacus Rookie

Thanks for the help, I think it's going to be a long night trying to get my head round these suspension settings.:(

8. Attached Files:

psittacus and PAKFA like this.
  9. Turk

Turk Alien

This has always been my problem with attempting setups. I've read the guides that explain what all the individual setting do in isolation but there's never been a process to follow, so I've always been afraid that I'm ruining any benefits by making changes elsewhere.

I understand changing gear ratios maxing out on the main straight from doing setups in kart racing pro but it was easier there as you only had one gear and didn't have to worry about individual gear ratios and an overall gear ratio.

Having a guide that says start here, then do this, and so on is very helpful, thanks Aris.

10. I read from someone (i think it was Luca), that adding Caster is a must for drifting. I haven't actually found any cars in AC that allow you to adjust Caster, are there any?

11. Henrique21

Henrique21 Rookie

this helped me understand setup.

Attached Files:

psittacus likes this.
  12. Rioku

Rioku Racer

Somewhere to download setups?

13. psittacus likes this.
  14. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

15. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

That's the first step right there. You need to feel what the car is doing (and ac is rly good at that, unlike some other that give a bloory image) and then you need to have a vision what the car is doing in a better world.

That might take some time. You almost need to be reluctant to feeling any pleasure from the car until you have handled it in the garage first. Let's be clear here, its a waste of time to drive something that is underperforming out of optimum.

Make a plan. You need a basic template which corners will you prefer. Slow or the fast ones. And ofc FF FR and RR layouts all need a different template. You'll get there with time.

Now let's handle the issue you've proposed. Obv the suspension is compacted from springs(wheel rate), arbs and the dampers. For your case you need to know that fast dampers are directly connected with ur issue. To balance it out you will need to work on those sooner or later. But u also need to know the springs. That is the starting point. Watch where the mass goes and if you want to add more of it then stiffen it. That will remove sloppiness. If there's already too much mass there and the car is too reactive or too jumpy then remove it. As a general rule of thumb for making the front heavier you get understeer. Now you can figure out the oversteer is opposite and the rear is also opposite in the way it works from the front.

Maybe you would want to make notes of things that worked. I've only done mental notes and there's so much more to it, but if ur commuted then paper notes will really help. Setups work in unity. Remember that. There's always more solutions to an issue but if you pick one it always leads to a path.

FezzantPlucka and psittacus like this.
  16. ouvert

ouvert Alien

17. Rioku

Rioku Racer

I was looking for a setup for McLaren MP4-12C GT3 in Imola.

In that link, when i use those setups, AC don´t valid.

Thanks

18. That's probably because the suspension height is too low, try changing it on the setup and everything should work fine.

19. Nao

Nao Alien

Not mentioned a lot is the problem of aero downforce and springs. On cars where downforce is important (formula cars, GT2 etc) instead of softening the spring/antiroll bars/dampers/packers etc to gain grip it is sometimes important to keep these values high enough that downforce from underbody and front/rear diffusers remains high. On fast, bumpy track, rock solid suspension that gives stable low ride height will net you more grip than trying to optimize (softening) springs for bumps. (ps: the lower downforce from ride height can come from both too low and too high height, although the too high comes up more often.)

Whenever you change a suspension element that influences ride height it will change not only the downforce but also camber and toe! (and things like lowering spring travel, thus hitting bumpstops earlier) So keep that in mind when evaluating the changes. (For example the grip increase you feel when lowering the rear suspension does not mean simply lower rear = more grip, rather it's most likely that the camber change due to lowered rideheight influenced the balance change the most.

And on topic of things connected with each other, springs and dampers come to ming: whenever you change springs the dampers should go in the same direction too. That is, you soften the car, then you want less bump/rebound damping and vice versa. (dampers are in a sense dynamic springs, softening springs makes dampers relatively harder, changing how they work on a given track.)

So experiment a lot but stay vigilant and don't jump into conclusions too quickly, or you will get confused really fast :p
    Have fun learning :)

psittacus likes this.
  20. Hanzales

Hanzales Racer

Thanks a lot Aris for this! For me as an absolute setup tweaking novice (also not natively English speaking) this is most understandable guide so far! I have a free weekend and looking forward to try go deeper into the setups tweaking. I understand the car dynamics and weight transferring, but so far I was not clear where to start exactly and how to proceed further, especially street cars vs racing cars. Really appreciated!