1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Zero FFB during understeer in modern Formulas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by claudiopolez, Mar 20, 2018.

1. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Just a quick question, is FBB cutting out in an understeering formula car (F138 and later, but also Tatuus) a bug, a feature or a wheel setup problem? To test you turn in at speed to create understeer, and then turn in some more. At the "turn in some more" stage, the wheel becomes completely empty, no FFB at all - but only in aforementioned cars, other cars (even older F1 Lotus 98T fro example) do continue to give FFB feedback even as you increase the steering input through the understeer.

My wheel is G29 and FFB is working great otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Zero / extremely light FFB when driving straight ACC v1.9.0 Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Zero FFB | Thrustmaster T300RS GT [FIXED] Aug 9, 2022
    Console Lounge Zero ffb on xone? Jan 5, 2017
    ACC Troubleshooting Zero traction bug Jul 5, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Zero Delta Racing - NA Time Zone friendly - ACC and AC League (PC) Aug 31, 2022
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards CP rating doesnot increase (sticks at zero) Dec 18, 2021
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards CP at zero after first Competition race Feb 13, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ZERO force feedback affects Aug 20, 2020
    ACC Physics Zero difference in max speed with max/min aero Aug 11, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Zero Damage isn't? Apr 20, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting TC & ABS switch to zero at start Apr 2, 2020
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Ground Zero Racing | Tuesday 7pm UTC | starting on 10th of september Aug 25, 2019
    ACC Virtual Reality Start with absolutely zero HUD? Apr 3, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Give us a real ZERO-deadzone! Oct 11, 2018
    ACC Troubleshooting No headlights zero opponent visibility fix not working Sep 13, 2018

3. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Are you using the enhanced understeer effect? Thats likely what it does at high settings. I dont use the effect at all and dont have this issue with my past logitech wheelsor current DD wheel.

4. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I keep using understeer effect on and off. For some car it is believable more with understeer effect to me.

In order to understand this, I think, we should know how much caster does cars have, and if they have powersteering. One guy in reddit wrote that cars with no powersteering are usually going really light on steering when tires completely slips. This makes sense, especially if car would have little or no caster (mechanical trail), so drop of pneumatic trail would be much more noticeable then.

This is random pic I google, but makes sense to me.
    [​IMG]

Maybe Lotus 98 is going light even with enhanced understeer being off, but it is very likely that you have it on. This being said you do something wrong with Lotus 98 or its setup if you make it understeer :D Commit to those little slides, it is fun how it grips up because of downforce when you just slightly lift off the throttle.

chksix likes this.
  5. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Sorry for abandoning the thread for a couple of days - RL and all that... :oops:
    Luckily for this discussion, we don't have to reply on subjective reports of feel but can simply analyse what the grey FFB bar in the pedals app is doing.

Here is a video of F138 understeer with zero or near enough FFB, the grey FFB bar drops to near zero and subjectively it feels like its steering rack snaps off once the front begins slipping.

Here is 250GTO (no powersteering) doing the same thing and it has plenty of FFB right through, grey bar fluctuates at around 30%+. Thus. this
    does not seem to apply here. The FFB is lightER than during the initial turn in, but it does not go to near zero.

Enhanced understeer effect is off in both cases.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  6. Out of curiosity, do you own RSS Formula Hybrid? Is it the the difference in scrub radius again? Without decent scrub radius AC doesn't provide any slipping feedback which might be realistic but makes me not like some cars.

7. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

I don't have RSS Formula, no :(
    Which other cars in AC have "indecent" scrub radius?

8. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Tire flex can give some scrub I think, or take away. But would scrub radius be significant when understeering ?
    [​IMG]

Scrub radius is more about responses when traveling straight, or relatively straight. Roughness and bumps of road, braking, tramlining, perhaps effort at the turning in moment...

[​IMG]

I think I have to find from where those pictures are taken out, this picture of prewar car is totally forcing me.

Edit... off topic, but just for the record these are by Erik Zapletal, it seems that he was writing for Racecar Engineering magazine ! Now thats a magazine I would like to read.

A little example I just found: https://hpdedriver.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/trailbrake.pdf

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    claudiopolez likes this.
  9. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Nice magazine:)

I finally did try the RSS Hybrid and understeer has plenty of FFB there, just like in normal AC cars. This is good as I thought maybe FFB limpness is related to 360deg steering lock of modern formulas, but now its clear that the steering lock is irrelevant.

So what now? The question is still the same: is the formulas' steering wheel going limp during understeer a feature or a bug?
    Is there any evidence that steering wheels in modern formula cars (with their particular scrub radii, weird suspensions etc) go completely weightless when understeering?

10. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I think you should post it in physics bugs/issues forum. You probably will get no issue without explanation, or explanation will be no mechanical trail or something like that.

claudiopolez likes this.
  11. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Will do just that. The name of the topic is not correct by the way as I've tested all the formula cars again and it is only the F138 and 2004 that show this FFB drop. SF15, SF70 (as well as Lotus Exos, 98T, MacLaren MP4-12C GT3) are completely fine. Tatuus FA1 is kinda midway between the two - FFB is not absent like in F138 and 2004, but it is less pronounced than the other cars in AC.

PS Done : https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ng-understeer-on-ferrari-2004-and-f138.49407/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018