1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CARS The BMW M6 GT3

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

The brand new BMW M6 GT3 made quite an impression in 2018 Blancpain GT3 series.

Following the dimensions of the street car, there is no denying that the race car is also very big, even bigger than the Bentley, especially in length and wheelbase. This same aspect, together with the impressive twin turbo V8, define the handling characteristics of the BMW.

The dimension of the car, results in a very large area of the underbody aerodynamics. The front splitter is impressive and the length of the rear diffuser is massive. Even the exhausts have lateral exits so that they do not interfere with the diffuser aero flow. Many smaller or bigger details can be found all around the long bodywork, achieving impressive amounts of downforce on par with the top of the class, even though the total drag inevitably stays a bit high given the big frontal area.

Nevertheless, the absolute aero numbers tell half the story. The best feature of all this attention to the aerodynamics is the quite stable aero platform. As we have explained in other posts, the main issue for the drivers of modern cars with high aerodynamics, is the stability of the aero platform in terms of aero balance, from the effects of pitch and roll. Often, the higher the downforce, the more sensitive the car becomes to pitch and roll, forcing the engineers to big setup compromises that make the car worse at low speeds, and forcing the drivers to change their driving style at higher speeds, in order to not upset the car. The later is easier to tell than do, especially for amateur gentleman drivers that participate in the Blancpain series.
    The long wheelbase and long under tray of the BMW, deliver a much more stable aerodynamic platform, especially under forward pitch (coasting, braking) that permits softer suspension setups and more natural driving techniques to be exploited. At low speed the car offers exceptional turn in and minimal amounts of understeer at power exits. A hint of understeer is present at the apex of slow turns, which is typical for such a big car with a bit of front weight bias, but it adds confidence to attack the corners at entry and can be easily controlled by the drivers. As the speed raises the big amount of stable downforce, result in a very confidence inspiring car that can be pushed at high speeds and if the driver makes the occasional mistake, it can be relatively easily corrected.
    The very very fast right hand bend at the end of the long back straight at Paul Ricard is the perfect example of the car’s stability. Even if you overcook the entry going in way too hot, you can confidently raise your foot or even pinch the brakes and the car will correct it’s trajectory without big drama. Not something you can do with the much more pitch sensitive Huracan for example.
    Similar situation at the Misano circuit. The very dangerous braking zone for T13 and T14(Carro) turns, must be approached in a very certain and precise way, by practically all cars. The BMW M6 showcases great stability and honest reactions, giving the driver the opportunity to attack and trust the car, without big setup compromises.
    Fantastic car then, is this the best of all worlds? Not so fast.
    The very very long body and wheelbase, does indeed provide stability, but predictably enough, makes the car sluggish at narrow turns, chicanes and fast direction changes. The car turns in fast but then needs some time to take a set and keep the line. The perception of the limits of the bodywork is also not so good and this is a disadvantage in close racing situations.
    Worse of all, the very long overhangs touch the ground easily and they will do often do so at the very worse moment at very high speeds while trying to ride a kerb in a very fast corner. The resulting loss of tyre grip and aerodynamic stalling can bring catastrophic results. This is where compromises have to be made on the setup, by rising the ride height, using stiffer springs and dampers and so on. Drivers must also adapt and find which kerbs should ride and which ones are better to avoid. In such situation the excellent behaviour of the BMW can quickly betray you and make you spin in no time at all. Beware.
    All in all, the car forgives some aggressive driving and a bit less precision, but it really shines when the inputs are smooth, both on the steering wheel and on the accelerator pedal. The smoother you drive it, the more speed it gains. The advanced traction control, is finely tuned for safe driving but lowering it to level 3 or less, will permit even more forward acceleration if you are smooth on your inputs. In a way, it is as if the looks of a grand touring coupe are mirrored one to one on its handling behaviour.

The big V8 placed behind the front wheels, produces massive amounts of torque and power. The favourable Balance of Performance, let the engine output around 650Nm of torque and approximately 550bhp. Most importantly the torque curve of the car seems like the great plains, or siberian plains, or Netherlands, or padania… choose whatever fits your definition of flat and infinite. Unfortunately it’s not what I would call an enthusiastic engine. Even though it pulls incredibly from as low as 3000rpm, the party ends at around 6200rpm. It feels a bit like a very big diesel engine and you need to keep changing gears as fast as possible as it arrives to the top end of the power in no time. Occasionally you won’t even be able to hear your own engine sound while changing at around 6000rpm, while an attacking Audi or Lamborghini are screaming besides you at over 8000rpm. Still, after 2nd gear and with the rear tyres finding traction, there not many cars that can beat you in a drag race down the straights.
    There is some turbo lag but it is taken care of with an anti-lag feature which makes the exhaust gurgle and our sound engineer happy. All this generous torque can easily result in power oversteer at any speed and gear, which normally would make the tyres unhappy but the very advanced new generation TC, helps both amateur and professional drivers, position the car properly and at the same time results in a big smile in their faces. Don’t overdo it though because after then smooth and gentle initial drift, the long rear end starts to slide and slide and slide even more, raising the heartbeat and destroying the tyres.
    Keep it all together and you’ll be rewarded with a best in class acceleration out of the turns. Yes the Huracan has amazing traction and the initial acceleration is great while the TC intervention is minimal… Yes the Ferrari 488 mid turn speed is incredible. Yes the Mercedes GT3 balance is exemplary… but keep them behind you and watch them become smaller and smaller on your rear view mirror as they can’t even keep the slipstream while you roar towards top speed. Which you will hit fast… and hard. As a matter of fact, the car arrive at a high top speed very fast and then it hits a wall. A wall of air resistance as the drag hits and stops the car. This is when the other smaller cars will start closing up to you towards the brake zone and so the play starts again… Overtaking you though, that’s a whole different story.

No surprise then that the car managed to win the 24Hours of Spa, at a track famous for it’s mid to high speed turns and long uphill straights. Look at the narrow bumpy Brands Hatch race though and you’ll get the opposite side of the coin.
    That is what the Blancpain series is all about, isn’t it?

ACC003 (16).png

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics New physics didn't work for the BMW M4 GT3 May 2, 2023
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Problem when I try to shift down with BMW GT3 2022 Jul 14, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars ROWE RACING BMW M4 GT3 STARTING NUMBER Apr 28, 2022
    ACC Physics Bug with Tire ware and drag (BMW M4 GT3) Apr 6, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions BMW M4 GT3 fuel useage Mar 2, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars BMW M4 GT3 - Customizable Wheel-LEDs Dec 29, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Rain flowing wrong way in BMW M4 Gt3 Dec 5, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Incorrect Documentation for Max Steering Angle of BMW M4 GT3 Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars BMW m4gt3 Wiper bug Nov 27, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions When will the new BMW M3 GT3 be released for XBox Series? Nov 25, 2021
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.8.0 major update and BMW M4 GT3 2022 OUT NOW! Nov 24, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos BMW M3 GT3 Need For Speed Most Wanted on Assetto Corsa Jul 18, 2021
    ACC Physics BMW M6 GT3 2017 Ignition Issue May 12, 2021
    Screens & Videos Hotlap | 2:16:908 | BMW Z4 GT3 | Spa-Francorchamps | Setup | Assetto Corsa Mar 13, 2021
    ACC Physics 1.6.3 - BMW GT3 Aggressive Setup Dec 1, 2020

3. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

while driving this car i noticed most of your descriptions. This thing is way faster then the Bentley. Also in rain the most savest car so far.

S-AMG, Robin_NL and p.g.49 like this.
  4. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Three things i recognized in this car before read your description, noticed in my 1st run with this bmw.

1- The car's stability, which is almost impossible to miss at least with the default setups.
    2- Attack the entry-turns like a boss almost without any troubles, expecially mid/fast entries.
    3- Similar to the Bentley to drive, but much faster due to exit turns (traction) and the trust to push hard into the turns.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Arlo, p.g.49 and Aristotelis like this.
  5. isma_c_r

isma_c_r Gamer

Many thanks for this, @Aristotelis . People can like or dislike what you do and how you do it, but the passion and the bother you take to write this to us (which is free and you wouldn't need to do it, you're not obligged) is absolutely priceless

Thank you very, very much

6. Axel Vogelsang

Axel Vogelsang Simracer

@Aristotelis
    Thank you for your awesome work dude! Not only providing all the interesting details of this beautiful car but especially for the pleasure to drive this thing! Made my day!

Soldier_003 and Aristotelis like this.
  7. Fernandito

Fernandito Racer

heh if this is how the car actually drives in real life then I'm afraid I don't like it much.

I'd recommend others to go aggressive setup with this car 24/7

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  8. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

That's a really excellent write up @Aristotelis, thank you!

9. APC900

APC900 Simracer

I actually like this car...a lot.
    I've only driven it at Circuit Paul Ricard so far.
    It is a circuit I do not know very well...even so the car feels quite manageable around the long sweeper, where if you miss turn-in the curbs can quickly get you out of shape.

10. Skybird

Skybird Alien

What would you say about Chris Haye's comments on the M6 in his video, Aris? He said how he did not like it that much at Paul Ricard, then went to Misano and felt the track meets the M6' characteristics better, and that he also felt the need to drive the car more sensibly, not overdriving it as he did at Paul Ricard, and so he started to like it very much. Your explanations and his impressions partly mutually confirm each other, but also seem to contradict each other. Wouldn't the M6 better run at PR and not as well at Misano, due to the long straight at PR? Even more so since some of the turns at Misano must be taken relatively slow and carefully, while the M6 favours the more high speed lanes with less tricky turns?

It has been posted before in the other thread, i add it for the sense of completeness in this thread and this post.

And yes, the car feels big, even inside the cockpit I had the impression of it being bigger in the cabin than the Bentley. I even wondered if this could be realistic. Apparently, it is. ACC's sense of immersion inside cockpit - and in VR - once again beats everything rolling out there.

11. LeiF

LeiF Alien

I think the guy in the video admits to knowing Misano better, personally I know Paul Ricard well and felt confident instantly there in the M6, whereas I still feel totally out of my depth at Misano, haven't even had 1 actual online race on there yet compared to maybe 100 at PR.

12. Aristotelis

I just watched Chris Heye's video. Amazing as usual, I enjoy them so much, thanks for the link.
    Can't see though how we contradict each other. I think we say more or less the same things. Did I misunderstood something?

All in all, the BMW is a car that you can "trust" and push. The problem is that while you can arrive at the limit sooner with it, and it seems to do what you want, to do Huracan laptimes you need to start driving it way more smoother and with much more self control than what you think at first is normal. And then it starts showcasing some of its limitations. Kerbs handling, understeer, traction problems... But still in a kind way most of the time. You don't feel in danger as often as with the Huracan

Btw, tomorrow Huracan blog... ;)

13. Quick OT question - Are you gonna be able to do one of these posts for every car? Could get a bit busy once EA finishes (as if its not already!) :D

14. Aristotelis

The other dev guys are working their brains out long hours every day. When I have a tiny bit of time, it's the least I can do to support their work and keep you guys busy and entertained. Besides, I really love cars so when I manage to start the text, then everything flows

15. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

When we are on track sites, he usually wears a t-shirt with "WARNING MAY SPONTANEOUSLY TALK ABOUT CARS".
    And it's not a joke

16. Aristotelis

Yeah all the girls say that I'm such an interesting guy for chit chat...

17. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

I doubt you ever noticed a girl at a race track with cars around

18. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

You guys did great job on M6.

Favorite real onboard. traction control in hyper drive.

19. Ziggi Hash

Ziggi Hash Rookie

Great reading guys. Thanks to you all.

Can't wait to try the M6 this evening! :)

20. @Aristotelis Great introduction like usual.

Just a quick question about the Motec display (not physics related):
    Is there just one page available?
    It's very bright during the night time :cool:

Greets After_Midnight

21. OrganDonor

OrganDonor Racer

Is it just me or is BMW a proper gas guzzler? Until now (with Lambo and Bentley) I was able to launch a 30 minute race and finish with no issues. I did the same twice with the BMW yesterday and ran out of fuel 7 minutes before the end both times (Paul Ricard and Misano).

I haven't checked what the default amount of fuel is for the other two cars but BMW has it set to 60L. Not sure if other cars get more fuel by default or if BMW is drinking it like crazy.