1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AI is so much better than original AC

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by tlsmikey, Dec 1, 2018.

1. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

Just drove Nurburgring at sunset with AI at 95% difficulty and 70% aggression. For the first time ever in a sim, the AI went side by side with me through six straight corners. Mind blown.

Seriously great work guys. Can’t believe how good it is.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC User Interface Suggestion for much better replay- overview Dec 14, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FPS is much better when... Jul 1, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Runs much better on PS4 Pro Jun 27, 2020
    Screens & Videos Much Better than gt sport Oct 14, 2017
    Suggestions Track specific weather1.ini would enable much better mod tracks Nov 8, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Wheel much better than pad in ac. Oct 11, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Why is ac so much better than netkar pro? Sep 1, 2014
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions (BUG/Glitch) Feels like having too much horsepower/no backwing ! Jul 5, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions How much revenue do console sales generate and why is console so badly supported? Jul 3, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Why I don't play ACC as much as others.. Jun 12, 2023
    ACC Physics Anyone else finding the Alpine being much faster than any other GT4 cars since 1.9? May 30, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions How Much Longer ? May 3, 2022
    ACC Gameplay next lap invalidated too much exit speed? Mar 3, 2021
    ACC Gameplay How do I know how much time do I lose with damage? Jan 1, 2021
    ACC Physics 1.6.3 - 2018 porsche on 2020 track: wet tires pick up too much heat from brakes Dec 2, 2020

3. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Had amazing fight with AI on one of the endurance races i done was driving door to door, overtakeing him,being overtaken amazing stuff. Once you learn to give them space it can be amazing stuff.

Atak_Kat likes this.
  4. Skybird

Skybird Alien

What I see of the AI so far, is a mixed bag. While it is fast and reliable like in AC already, it simply lacks on a "meta-level". The field of cars after start stretches fast, and then nothing more seems to happen. Reminds me a bit of the AI in Gran Turismo Sport - the cars roll on in a chain with more ore less widening gaps, and wait that I take on them, and if I am too slow, then nothign happens (no rubber-band AI, thank God), else I catch them, and then its off to the next mobile pylon.

I must admit that the AI to me looks - well, flat. One-dimensional. The race-as-an-event thing is not there. Its like dribbling a ball throuzgha number of pylons and claling that "dnynamic football realism".

This already was a weakness in AC1. The AI fast veryx fast, and competent in not crahsign nwith me when i managed to give it a close fight, but AI-vs-AI scenarios: practically pointless to look for.

I hope for substantial improvement and more creativity here. I play mostly SP, and without a better AI than in AC, ACC really is an danger of loosing attractiveness to me, siccne it also lacks the Nordschleife already. My reference is Raceroom's AI - it gives me the feeling of fighting in the middle of a dogfight at times, and I see it flocking together in groups of three and four and the starting a brawl against themselves.

The driver spread in ACC's lineup als could be too huge. The field widens the gap between cars quites quickly, it seems, and then it is difficult to let some fight show taking place indeed.

Difficult to find the right words to explain what itches me. Right now ACC's AI just does not connect to me. Its so - sterile. Too perfect. Too well-sorted. Too well-educated, maybe. Inject some adrenaline, some beer, an already lousy lousy mood, and a good dose of "Who cares for you, here comes me!" into it. Its all so clean, so sterile, so well-tempered.

dodge33cymru likes this.
  5. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

To me the AI on builds 1 and 2 felt the same as AC1. Haven't tested it too much on build 3 yet, but I didn't see any changes in the changelog.

6. Still not tried racing against AI in build 3 if there are some improvements, in build 2 in heavy breaking zones and slow turns AI was potato.
    Most of the fun now is driving online trying to survive from dive bombers and all kind of stuff :rolleyes:

7. plaid

plaid Alien

Read that a few times from others, but In many cases you need to drive a really long time with them to spot how good they are in certain situations anyway, that may accure a few times or not at all in a short amount of time.* IMO the feedback often lacks there, not much time passed, but its praised while being medicore at best, also cause people sometimes are a bit too subjetive with their perception.
    *Like on time a AI car wanted to go into the pits and drove straight into me cause I was near the entry (AC) which was around the time they stopped to improve it.

Too make a sim - rally aside - worth the full price for me and what would incease the appeal for offline players, I guess, would be a AI that gets beyond the average AIs anyway, making it more exciting (less predictable) and less frustrating (unaware or otherwise limited), besides creating a more immersive experience (ala Codies F1 series). And of course not many of these rare but still annoying situations.

8. Raklödder

Raklödder Simracer

I agree with you completely, it's great and a welcomed change from having suffered through 600 hours of buggy and poorly coded AI in Project Cars 2.

9. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Well, I went to drive a 2 hours endurance race, and they were fine as far as racecraft is concerned, but after 40 minutes there were 15 cars stopped on track with no fuel. So not that good,

10. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Now that is certainly owed to Early Access state of things and will be taken care of.

11. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

pretty much feel the same as AC1 tbh.. not much has changed really .

12. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

That I can accept, what I can't accept is that to me they feel the same as on AC1, they will still ram you off track depending on where you try to overtake them, they'll still go really really slowly in certain corners allowing you to overtake 3 cars at once, and a few other flaws I don't remember right now.

bgil66 likes this.
  13. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Im not really one to race AI too much, haven't raced it in AC for quite some time. I did do some AI races in ACC in either the special events or some custom 30 min races from the back of the grid with AI 100/88, in the 30 minute races I haven't won these except in earlier builds when most of them ran out of fuel and stuffed each other up but can get into the top 5 in 30 minutes from the back.

They have decent pace and the first 3 or so seem to get away with the rest of the pack fairly bunched up as they hold each other up a bit with some passing between each other but not heaps. I noticed AI still clearly is running a fair bit of stability control after one of them murdered me on the first right hander back straight of Misano. He turned into me a little which sent me straight left into the wall hard, could have broken fingers I think with the DD wheel lol but I have learnt to let go of it in a big shunt now, the funny thing was the AI had a big act of magic tank slapper full lock both directions 4 or 5 times with the car doing a very odd 90 degree spin to 180 tank slapper and getting a clear fake SC assist here.

Maybe its not possible to code the AI to run the same physics and be able to drive properly without SC, though id like to have the option to disable it for them and test. Quite likely there would be lots of carnage but this is what gives them the more solid contacts if its a big one. Minor rubs aren't really an issue but at my AI settings maybe once per race one of them will do their best to take me out, though some times I have caused the contact by not leaving them room.

If the AI gets a bit better it could be a bit of fun to do some longer races with them, I will need to try and do a qualy next time and see where I get on the grid and if the front runners are a bit more of a challenge then the backmarkers which I suspect they would be. Ideally I would like good solid grid pickup mp racing which hopefully the ratings provide just not sure how strong the user base will be in Australia so likely casual racing wont be as popular but it should be quite good in Europe. AI is fairly important in an official game so people can have a go at running full seasons etc with AI and longer races with bigger grids then most casual mp sessions will likely be.

14. SlimCharles

SlimCharles Alien

The AI is pretty much the same. They were already able to hold side by side several corners in the last updates of AC1.

The biggest flaw is the poor ability to overtake, even in high agression levels. Besides that, the AI is really good.

15. fbiehne

fbiehne Hardcore Simmer

At least I’m happy that they overtake if you slow down at the side of the track on purpose. In AC the AI started to park beside you if you slowed down. Too much respect for the player… :D

16. fabT

fabT Alien

I use to race vs 100% AI and noticed issues.
    Yesterday i tried a single 15min quick race ( with forced pit stop ).
    Misano / dry / 19 AI + me in the BMW.

Try #1:
    I picked the pole position and skipped qualification, since i wanted to check out AI pace.

[OT] that damn obstrusive notice in the middle of the screen didn't allow me to actually see the semaphore. Seriously Kunos, that notice has to go ... Moreover i was in pole position, i was not supposed to follow anybody ... [/OT]

I was able to build some pace and AI quickly ate dust, no fight back.
    That's at 100% AI and i'm no alien.

After 15 minutes and 9 laps done i won the race by about 9 seconds on the first AI guy.
    He managed to achieve a fastest lap at flat 1:54, which is similar to my pace, but he was quite slow at beginning.

Infact he paid 1 second / lap in average to me ...
    That was the fastest AI guy.

What's worth mentioning is that except for the second and third guy, all the remaining AI were lapped.
    In 9 laps!

Try #2 to #N

I picked last position, 2oth.
    BAD idea.

I tried about 8-10 times and not a single time was able to get to half the race without being rammed many times.
    I was obviously faster than AI cars, but they're absolutely reckless in hitting you whenever you cross their path.

Turning down aggressivity to say 50% does not help.

It's actually quite strange: they seem to "respect" your position at corner entry, especially when you're side to side.
    They actually leave some room.

Then they suddenly close to apex and slam into you, or hook your rear end.
    Their cars are pretty ... heavy, so 99% of the times they end up putting you off track.
    Pretty frustrating.

So all in all i think AI deserve much more work (as expected ) and i'm not that impressed so far.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  17. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

It's interesting how mixed the experiences have been. In the first AC, I could put a nose inside of a corner and the AI would go running away to avoid contact and they never passed each other....just one long train.

In ACC, I find the side by side racing very good but I take a pretty conservative approach to passing...leaving them room like I would someone on iRacing. I haven't had them slam me in the back at all, so I don't know if its settings or if its driving style. I will agree that the top three seem to run away from the pack and leave everyone else and the amount of passing could be improved (i saw some, but not a whole lot). I would also like to see a bit more mistakes and for Kunos to incorporate a "adaptive AI" setting where they take your lap times from previous sessions and use that to find the appropriate level of competition for you (like what R3E does).

18. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

My AI is set to 98% difficulty and 80% aggression. If you race them like you would race agains human, without ramming them and giving space, it is an very regarding experience.
    AI always looking for an opportunity to pass. I start from the default position, 10 place and find it very hard to climb. And I am not an alien. :p
    Also, they do make moves between them.

19. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

yes, I remember, it use to be like that in 2015, it as been fixed along time a ago, maybe you should drive in AC again.:D
    If you use CM you can even randomize skill and aggressiveness and end up with the faster AI drivers starting from the back.:eek:
    You might be the one running away from the AI putting his nose inside your line.;)

20. rycil

rycil Simracer

As good as AI could be, fighting against AI will never be as rewarding as fighting against human.

I mean, I can have good fun with AI but I never had the adrenaline boost that I get when I overtake someone in an online race.

Same for start, if I crash, press escape and restart. Not possible online...

It is surely a good challenge to code for Kunos, but against AI it is not racing, it is simply gaming.

After_Midnight and D.Jankovic like this.
  21. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Well, playing online is also just gaming.