1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

ACC Blog Early Access 0.5 - Great new car and track, and a bit of maintenance

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Minolin, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Having a look at the 0.5 release patch notes, you will find that most changes are either new content or physics related. Regarding gameplay elements – including Multiplayer features – we decided to opt for a different path, which may need some explanation for non-developers.

While developing software, especially games, you constantly invent patterns and concepts. When we built the ACC gameplay during 2018, we aimed for a certain way to write the game logic, including everything from session handling, race timing, laptimes, penalties and so on. Our solution had some amazing feats and ways of working, but we also had to learn that one of the disadvantages was making the development of Multiplayer features not as efficient as we had wished for. You may have noticed that although we met our roadmap targets on time in terms of content and features, several things involving Multiplayer were late. This is not really unusual or surprising; moving a whole development team to a new engine and framework required us to learn about the new situation as the project evolved (but we didn't know where this would happen, obviously).

In December we faced the choice to either keep proceeding like that, adding as little changes as necessary to achieve a stable 1.0 Multiplayer, and then never to touch it again.
    The alternative route is a rewrite of (a lot of) the code to switch to concepts that support our current needs and the things we learned. The disadvantage is obvious; we'd have to spend a lot of work to change ACC without – seemingly – adding gamplay related features and fixes for a certain amount of time, however, the gain is a much more stable environment, where we can keep adding features and also speed up future development.

I can tell it's unusual to go for a rewrite, but it expresses our approach and our plans to go on, even beyond ACC 1.0. Technically speaking, a few developers forked off the codebase and worked day and night to do the re-coding, with the goal of bringing those improvements to the main code as soon as possible. The new features on the list therefore are there, but not in this build, and we most probably will also bring them one after another even looking beyond the 1.0 release, since the development will continue to bring our audience the 2019 Season update, and more. ;)

Being myself also responsible for ACC Multiplayer development, I needed to slow down the work on the Rating System, but likely this re-work on some of the code that we use as a foundation will help the Rating System, too, to proceed even smoother.

As a bottom line: enjoy the new content, both the car and track (in my opinion) are fabulous, and see how ACC keeps developing in the future.
    I'm writing this between Multiplayer tests (on the new code), we are on a very good way – but sadly we will not see this outside the test systems for the time being.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting crash error since first early access build Jun 2, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Same crash error since first early access build....every build after...and version 1.0 Jun 1, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Set-ups from early access phase can't be loaded May 29, 2019
    News and Announcements ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE LAUNCHING OUT OF EARLY ACCESS MAY 29, 2019 Apr 12, 2019
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione Early Access Release 7 is OUT NOW ON STEAM! Apr 3, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Early Access, its been fun and KUDO's Mar 26, 2019
    News and Announcements Info update on Early Access Release 6 Mar 1, 2019
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione Early Access Release 6 is OUT NOW ON STEAM! Feb 26, 2019
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione Early Access Release 6 - Further news Feb 21, 2019
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v0.6 Early Access Release Delay + Spoilers! Feb 15, 2019
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione Early Access Release 5 is OUT NOW! Jan 15, 2019
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione Early Access Release 4 is OUT NOW ON STEAM! Dec 11, 2018
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione Early Access Release 3 is OUT NOW ON STEAM! Nov 14, 2018
    ACC General Discussions No Kunos in here: I'm out of the early access Oct 14, 2018
    ACC General Discussions ACC and early access Oct 11, 2018

3. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thank you for the insight! Whatever the Kunos team deems right is fine with me. If you have a plan and change it that's no problem. If you don't have a plan then every decision will be a problem ;-)

So what exactly has mainly been rewritten?!? I can't extract that from your post.

Carla likes this.
  4. Not sure why you would even label something as v1.0 if features won't be fully fleshed out/included until sometime after.

5. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Thanks for the feedback - personally think it was the best decision. Keep up the great work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6. Echo_

Echo_ Gamer

No enhanced multiplayer till summer update in 2019? Can we at least add a password to the servers yet?

7. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

great news @Minolin - sometimes its better to make steps back. good decision! :)

ups - new entry on ignore list. :rolleyes:

8. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Thank you very much for the write up Minolin. As far as I’m concerned a stable experience is far more important than sticking to a roadmap laid down months ago.
    Now off to test the new build.
    Good speed Kunos!

9. Ku_Ba

Ku_Ba Rookie

OK, so...after 1 minute of racing...FATAL ERROR.

10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Can you at least try to read the thread your posting in?

11. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

Read the statement

mikendrix and jaxx_za like this.
  12. Ku_Ba

Ku_Ba Rookie

Sorry..too much upset. Hoped for big improvements, but I dont like the physics, I dont like FF. I do not like the way it goes. Thats it.

13. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Software components don't necessarily translate to (understandable) words, but think of many gameplay elements that somehow touch MP.

That's not what I said. Expect corresponding features to come, step by step. Password box is one of the less complicated things to include.

14. M96

M96 Racer

Are we going to see progressive updates on this? Aka, are features going to be added as soon as they'll be ready, or just on prescribed release dates?

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A5010 utilizzando Tapatalk

Stains likes this.
  15. fabT

fabT Alien

Well i had no big expectations, but sincerely this is a big letdown.

No stable / working ( letting alone enhanced ) MP at this stage of development is something really bothers me.
    While i can understand the route development is taking, i think at least some major MP issues could had to be ironed out already.

Seeing nothing MP related in v0.5 changelog hurts.

I mean, the game is ( by design ) still low on content and features, with MP already off the planned roadmap and a so-so AI ACC currently lacks more than what it provides.
    Don't misunderstand me, i do enjoy the pretty tracks, rainy weather and i think handling is really good.

Yet speaking of features, given the major issues of MP at this stage, ACC is not much more than a bare hotlap / hotstint sim.
    Acceptable at first / second build, less at fifth. EA is no excuse here.

To be fair i do respect to developers and their hard work, but sometimes a bit of constructive criticism as a customer helps.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  16. Etherival

Etherival Gamer

Are we going to see then races like iRacing has got, which has matchmaking by Rating and limited by the Safety Rating?

Patrik and Naer like this.
  17. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Simracer

thanks for the update , @Minolin . I can imagine the internal discussions to make the decision to rewrite the code from scratch.
    I think it is a brave decision .
    Also... all the other simulators were broken at version 1.0.. so not big deal here... what you guys are complaining about?!
    Can we expect more features for the offline such as dynamic weather to be implemented soon or multiplayers gets the priority?

18. mms

mms Alien

The constructive criticism in this case being that you're disappointed?

Jebus, Carla, chksix and 10 others like this.
  19. M96

M96 Racer

Are we supposed to be always 100% happy? It is a drawback to have Multiplayer in this state as of now.. it is clearly a required decision the one they made, but can't we be a bit disappointed for this? In here it seems that every critique makes you an hater or something.. I still, obviously, trust Kunos and have hope for the final result..but this remains a noticeable drawback, in my opinion

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A5010 utilizzando Tapatalk

20. RS10

RS10 Simracer

The main part of the roadmap goals was not met and yet this did not stop Kunos, 505 or whoever tf owns them from sticking to the scheduled price increase to FULL price ... lmao

marmagas and mESCx like this.
  21. Rhylthusming

Rhylthusming Gamer

What is sad is to let us believe till last second that we will have enhance multiplayer. From minolin post, kunos knows from long date that nothing will come with this update...

Never the less i hope that next patch will add more functionality (save, dynamic weather...) as this one is quite empty (again i speak of feature).

In kunos de trust !

sloty, Turk, ManroV and 4 others like this.