1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Feedback from real-life drivers - discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Kondor999, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I love how the car feels, whether or not if the way it feels is the same in real life. But I value the opinion of a real GT3 driver over the opinions of sim-racers. Not only is this person speaking out about an unrealistic feeling of the car, but Christopher Zöchling, another real-life GT3 driver has said the same thing in one of his streams, that the car doesn't feel like how it does in real life. I've posted a couple of posts about it, about 4 months ago in this thread:
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/cant-catch-a-slide.51047/page-11#post-993557

Bear in mind, this was just after release. A lot has changed in the meantime and I haven't watched too many of his streams since, so maybe his opinion has changed along the way without me being aware of it.

Anyway, I love the game and the cars and I will play and enjoy it without too much concern of their opinions. I just don't like seeing people who cannot take criticism of a game they favor. In my opinion, we should be thankful people like them play the game and give feedback, as to let the developers know what to change to make it feel more realistic. And I do hope people like them will give elaborated feedback, as for the feedback to be more useful to developers, instead of saying they don't like certain things without explaining how it should feel. But they're free in not doing so :p

2. Belgakinen

Belgakinen Simracer

If you want the opinion of a real driver about the huracan GT3 in ACC here is one (in french) :

Romain Monti is a Blancpain GT driver for Ombra racing who runs a Huracan. He has been playing ACC quite a bit and he is quite often at the top of a few online events leaderboards.

In this video he is giving a comparison between the game and reality.
    He says he has no problem whatsoever with feeling what the car is doing (understeer/oversteer) and the overall experience is quite close to reality with the strong points being the sounds and the track (here Misano).

In other videos he said there are a few things to correct but nothing as dramatic as this Steam review and you can see as well he has no problem completing laps after laps without crashing...

3. Kondor999

Kondor999 Gamer

Thanks, this is good info! I hope the video has English subtitles since my French is *really* rusty.

4. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Everyone's entitled to an opinion but if the guy really only used ACC for 1 hour its hard to even set things up for your hardware properly same with any sim. Sounds a bit odd re lack of grip but if you are to run a practice session the track is very green and quite different to the hotlap rubbered in track or even one as it would be in a real qualy or race session.

If someone cant even get around a lap in ACC and they are a pro driver I would suggest they must have something very odd with how they have it setup, real drivers with limited sim time will always be lost in sims as obviously there are pretty big differences between the real car and any basic home setup. Even the best motion platforms still only give a hint of forces and have other issues so can never really replicate reality so you need to use sims with some past experience and be able to overcome the limitations it has.

5. Rehooja

Rehooja Simracer

Just putting my thoughts out here too.

Usually a real race driver finds simulation games harder then real cars. Why you might ask? Because of the lack of feel that comes from a real race car where you'r strapped tight into the seat and you feel all/everything what the car does. In sims you just have the feedback of what your wheel gives you if your not driving with a 10 000 dollar rig that has motion and all that very high end stuff.

For one this real race driver could be driving this game with his Logitech G920 in a cheap playseat for all we know. Maybe he has not even heard of direct drive wheels or such equipment. Then comes the display, latency, FoV settings ect ect. So much can go wrong with just a wrong gear/setup when trying to compare a sim to a real car and then wondering why it feels so wrong. For example he could simply have his FFB on a too strong setting making it clip and cause strange behavior.

Now, this is just one possibility I gave here. I'm not trying to deny his thoughts on this but STILL I wouldn't bet all my money on a single random real race racecar drivers feedback. Specially when we have almost no knowledge of how his rig is set up. Maybe gather a 20 of them and then see if they all agree on it or vary in their experiences.

Tkeg likes this.
  6. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

He has played AC1 for about 250 hours tho

Kondor999 likes this.
  7. Kondor999

Kondor999 Gamer

Rather than keep guessing at what went wrong, I’ve gone ahead and politely reached out to him and asked if he would consider trying the Huracan again to give his updated impressions.

As you say, it’s possible he didn’t have his wheel/FFB set up properly. But I’m not going to simply assume this.

I remember watching Nicki Thiim driving ACC back on release day (yes I know a lot has changed since then!) and he kept saying “What’s wrong with the rear tires?!” So clearly there was a problem.

I just wanted to know if the problem is still there.

Karsten Beoulve likes this.
  8. Rehooja

Rehooja Simracer

Personally I find that the cars in ACC become extreme slippery if you even so slightly overheat the rears... maybe thats what causing him the problems. Though I have zero experience on a real car racing so I can't say if it's right or wrong :)

9. Ricky Reject

Ricky Reject Hardcore Simmer

Personally I find it interesting to hear a real drivers review, but it would never be a real deal-breaker to me. Quick analogy (as a musician):

Let's say I read 100 reviews of a guitar - most people give neutral to negative reviews with some odd positive ones. I decide to go down to the music store to try it out. As it turns out, it's the best guitar I have ever played and suits my needs perfectly. I will probably end up buying the guitar regardless of those neutral/negative reviews. Why? Because I still like it...

10. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Im assuming as honestly it really doesn't matter too much to me, but every person be it a pro driver, casual gamer, hardcore simmer etc will look for different things and adjust to the changes between sims and reality differently. I did do some laps in AC and AMS in a proper race teams sim setup when looking to get my new pedals setup, the same used by at least one top Aussie V8 team and their sister lower category team. The drivers that were there weren't the top v8 guys but their Porsche cup and secondary class v8 drivers, of these using the same high end hardware all still had varied opinions on the sim. Those with much more sim experience mostly said its amazing but one older guy that doesn't sim much really struggled to get a feel for it and hated the experience.

The teams are spending big dollars on sim equipment as its a valuable learning tool mostly for track knowledge due to limited running in real cars, also for driver training as its a great tool for this. All their hardware/software was as you would expect setup very well. Yet still not all shared the same views relating this back to their real track experience so its hard to really take one guy that has driven a certain car on track as a definitive yes or no vote on the sim. I have limited real track time and nothing very recent but have sim raced a fair bit the last few years, lucky to have had the opportunity to test some sim hardware this way prior to purchase as this company is based close to where I live and one team had a base in the next door factory with all their latest gear setup and tuned as well as possible.

Rehooja likes this.
  11. There are things you do not need to be a professional pilot to know if something is wrong or not. In this case, you only have to pilot Huracan to know that the car does not have the behavior it described in the analysis.

The only ice situation was in the overheating of the tires, which has already been corrected.

So it was probably some bug he had or steering wheel configuration error.

sps_for_race likes this.
  12. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

Without mentioning game mode, conditions, temps, track grip, setup, not to mention a lot of subjectivity that comes down to the user's rig and the performance he's getting out of the game, we can't do much with this feedback.

People can feel night&day differences from build to build, whereas the changes and updates are never fundamental. Aris once made me look like a complete fool by having me drive two different setups, that to me felt like night and day and transformed the car, which in the end turned out to be just two clicks of steering ratio change...

13. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

His "review" should be more precise to be taken with more weight.
    After "Slides like on ice" and "unable to complete 1-2 laps" he sounds like those console arcade players trying a pc racing sim with aids off for the first time.
    Professional driver with unprofessional review.

Maciej Malinowski and LATE4APEX like this.
  14. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

It's not like he's making a direct comparison of real car he's been driving five minutes earlier vs a finished product played on a full motion rig and direct drive wheel situated in the pits. Even then he's going to point out very obvious differences between real life driving and a sim and we're not any more clever. I have no idea what setup he uses, conditions, etc. but we do know that he hasn't been testing the game for long when making that review and that the game isn't finished. I don't know how that constitutes to "ignoring his opinion and blindly rushing to defend everything in ACC" for you.

15. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

o_O:cool: - i dont know how often this had happened to me - i changed something, not one thing - no! two or three parameters at one time and tested it, no time, hectic, come on. the children are hungry, daddy come to the table its mealtime....:oops:
    and the ffb/car/graphics are much better. i found the holy grail! :rolleyes:

and that one of the devs could fool the other with two clicks - this should teach us a lot.:)

16. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Agreed, completely useless input, seems he doesn't understand the difference in driving on a home computer simulator, and real life actually in a car, with all of its other feed backs that are missing.

I may be wrong, but I don't think he compared ACC to any other home computer based simulators, so again, doesn't carry much weight.

17. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

You're wrong, he has played AC1 for over 250 hours.

Kondor999 likes this.
  18. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

" scathing Steam review by Josh Webster"- Read all the reviews and you will find many which make Josh's look like a 10/10! I would describe it as Smug or Snarky- not "scathing"- if I were to waste my time reviewing a review. It made him look like a simpleton! (Millennial by another name) Experienced successful pro drivers are much more analytical than this guy.
    When you make contact with Josh No Name- Make sure you tell him we're all waiting here on pins and needles to here his updated review. <--- Scathing!

Salvatore Amato and LATE4APEX like this.
  19. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

And were was his comparison to AC1 GT3 cars ?

Salvatore Amato likes this.
  20. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

If we have good, usable feedback coming in our direction, we have no reason not to use it.