1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AI thoughts (skill & aggressiveness @ 100)

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Axel Vogelsang, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Axel Vogelsang

Axel Vogelsang Simracer

I just ran a Sprint Cup session at Paul Ricard and collected a number of interesting experiences regarding the AI.

In qualifying the AI now behaves correctly in terms of fuel management since it is not allowed to add or remove fuel from the beginning of Q1 untill the end of Q2. That means AI starts Q1 with about 80L and continues in Q2 with the remaining fuel level from Q1. That is nicely done guys!

But in general the pace of the AI even at the top skill level is a bit too slow comparing real live performances and its pace before release 0.6 which means that the pole time is approximately 2 seconds to high.
    The same impression I already got at the Nurburgring as well disregarding some unusual moves by the AI running through the Schumacher-S.

I also did not realize a significant improvement of the lap times regarding the development of track condition and the gain of rubber during the race weekend.

Would be interesting which setup the AI uses.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    A.K.Racing likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions New PS5 gameplay thoughts Feb 22, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality About pull the pin - latest thoughts on best VR headset for ACC? Nov 5, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Your thoughts since release Jul 25, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Creating Fuel Strategy Spreadsheet, any thoughts on features? Dec 23, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Some thoughts about ACC (laughing or crying?) Jun 26, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Thoughts on degrees of rotation Jun 10, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Thoughts on an Application like Trading Paints May 23, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Just finished a full length Bathurst 12 hour, and I have some thoughts Feb 13, 2020
    ACC Gameplay 1.05 - Why I don't drive ACC regularly - Single Player thoughts Jul 6, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Morning thoughts (off the wheel) May 24, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI Issues/Thoughts Apr 14, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI thoughts after 0.6.4 Mar 14, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Build 5 Thoughts Jan 6, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Happy New Year to all and some thoughts about the experience thus far Dec 31, 2018
    ACC General Discussions My first test of ACC today - here is my thoughts Oct 11, 2018

3. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

The AI uses the safe preset for now. This is already a step forward as they AI was using a generic setup for all circuits before.
    We just did a big rework of the AI and still ongoing, so I'm expecting them to get faster soon™

4. Coanda

Coanda Alien

It is great they are using individual track setups. That really helps for tracks like Monza & PR. Bonza Kunos! :)

Ive only really tested Nurburgring. Two issues around Nurburgring. T1 braking at 150-175m mark (https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/ai-t1-nurburgring-braking-mark.55171/) & Shumi-S they can be extremely slow whilst brake testing you through there.

A carried over issue from AC is the Ai still does not know how to handle you slowing down off the race line on a straight. It confuses them and they will almost come to a halt before they pass you.

That said I've had some nice little battles with them. It's massive improvement & going in the right direction. 2 thumbs up!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Axel Vogelsang likes this.
  5. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

Any chance the ai can learn to defend tight corners. Hairpins in ac and acc wre definite overtakes agaist the ai. They attack on straights which is great but need them to block a corner. As well.

6. Axel Vogelsang

Axel Vogelsang Simracer

Now I got it why the AI has got more straight line speed at PR since 0.6. :rolleyes:

7. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

I think im seeing the AI defend corners am I not? I swear an ai cut in as I came up the inside?! oh myyy

8. Kopiller

Kopiller Simracer

I have seen some weird breaking from the IA if they are on the outside at the start of curva grande.
    And it's my mind playing tricks or I have seen the IA flashing lights to another IA?

9. John Caetano

John Caetano Racer

I’ve definitely seen them defend in this new build but need more time to review :)

10. TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin Simracer

Something i’ve noticed is the AI will defend and block in Qualifying even when they’re on an out lap. At Zolder I started my flying lap and a couple cars left the pits ahead of me, I caught up to them but couldn’t get past, and they wouldn’t move over and let me through. I haven’t tried any super long races yet so I don’t know, but do the AI have blue flag behaviour? Will they move aside to let faster cars by, or is that not a thing yet? I also notice they’re fairly hesitant to overtake me when I try to let them through, like if I mess up a lap and there’s a car riding my bumper, I pull off the racing line to let them pass, but instead they just slow down with me and remain behind me, it usually takes a handful of seconds for them to actually move past.

11. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Gamer

I really like the overall behavior of the AI. There're just one or two spots at each circuit where the AI looses a lot of time compared to the player.

12. Rick Devente

Rick Devente Rookie

First post for me.

The AI does have an advantage on the straight when approaching a braking point.
    When your running side by side, they can jump you. Meaning, just before breaking they are able to increase their speed massively to jump in front.
    This is unrealistic.

Also, I looks like the AI tents to crash a lot into you on a less powerful PC, could this be?

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon, Intel i7-8700K @ 5.2Ghz, 16Gb Ram, Zotac 2080Ti

Nev Roberts likes this.
  13. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

since hotfix much better ai at monza :)
    really tempting!:cool:

Axel Vogelsang likes this.
  14. menos | M6

menos | M6 Hardcore Simmer

I have tested 0.6 - 0.6.3 at Zolder and Nurburgring extensively with short AI races since the 0.6 release.
    I always run the AI skill at 100% and adjust AGR depending on how the AI behaves.

So far it is nice to see that the AI picked up A LOT of pace from 0.6 to 0.6.3 but the aggression level and erratic behavior of the AI is really frustrating.

Not only will they often bump each other off the track (rear end collision in braking zones being the biggest offense) but they of course will do the same with human drivers.
    It is almost like the AI behind you gets impatient after a couple of laps not being able to overtake and then simply rear ends you to bump you off track.

Another very annoying behavior is that the AI is really skilled at pit maneuvers in tight, slow corners - they will stay right close behind you and when they see a chance will simply run into your inner rear quarter to spin you around (T1 at Nurburgring is a perfect example for that).

The most frustrating behavior though is that unlike humans the AI will NOT move away from another car they have a collision or contact with but they will actually aggressively KEEP PUSHING until they are themselves back on the ideal racing line !!! This is INSANITY and any human driver who would show such behavior in the actual Blancpain series would surely be black flagged on the spot with such wreckfest behaviors.

Racing the AI is so far a very frustrating experience and not at all enjoyable.

15. TheRealJuralumin

Yeah they do this at the first corner/chicane at Monza. I did a beautiful overtake up the inside, left plenty of room on the left, but got pit-maneuvered anyway. Upon investigating the replay, the AI car actually came off the brakes and accelerated as I was coming past! in the transition from turn 1 to turn 2 it didn’t keep to the left and just merged out to the right, spinning me around in the process. It was so frustrating because I had been stuck behind it for two laps and it was generally driving really slow.

16. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

I’d be interested to know what AI skill level most people race against. I know I’m not the fastest and I’m fairly sure that the people in this forum are disproportionately quick overall but I read all the time that people have no problem beating the AI in 100%. Before the update I tended to race against AI at 85% and found it competitive

17. hunt3r972

hunt3r972 Rookie

That's exactly what I reported yesterday in another feed. They just drive into your car even if you have 1/3 or even 2/3 of your car in front of them (which allows you, according to me, to didctate into the curve). They will do it even if your car is totally in front of them and the space between you and them is like bumper to bumper

18. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

Did a sprint race weekend at Monza this afternoon. Skill 100 and aggression 50 was working well for me. A few times the AI thought better of a risky move into T1 when they had a run on me and instead tucked in behind. And it was great to see them battling amongst themselves.

19. Adastros

Adastros Racer

And i saw an IA get black flagged at monza that was funny

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  20. TheRealJuralumin

95-100 AI skill for me depending on the circuit. At Zolder for example I can get pole position on 100, but at Monza I need to bump it down to 95 or even 90 to be competitive. But I haven’t done the 0.6.3 update yet so it might be different for me now. My lap times are about 2 seconds off the real life best laps, so i’m sure once the ai gets faster i’ll be playing on ~90%

21. TheRealJuralumin

Just did a 1/2 distance sprint race weekend (10 minute qualifying and 30 minute race with mandatory pit stop) at Zolder with 95 AI skill and 50 aggressiveness. I've found that 50 AI aggressiveness is a nice sweet spot as the AI will still attempt overtakes and block, but wont ram into you or spin you around (as often!), but I can now confirm there is no blue flag behaviour programmed into the AI . I found it impossible to get a clear run during qualifying with nobody refusing to move over and let me through, so I ended up 5th with a 1:33.222. But during the race I grabbed the lead early on and started running consistent 1:31's with a clear track. I eventually caught the back of the pack with about 5 minutes to go, this is where it got pretty frustrating. The last place car was getting blue flags show to them, but they would not move over, and continued to block me as if we were racing for position. I ended up losing about 5 seconds a lap to this car for 3 laps, they were harder to pass than the lead cars at the start of the race, and of course it doesn't help that Zolder is so narrow, there's really only one good place to overtake there unless you want an accident.

The reason I thought this was all worth sharing is it doesn't bode well for Endurance racing where you're guaranteed to lap plenty of drivers during the race, so hopefully this gets sorted by the full release.

pigsy likes this.