1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS MoTeC telemetry and dedicated ACC workspace

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Tyler Sorg

Tyler Sorg Rookie

I would like to start of saying this is pretty cool I just discovered it with release 6 to be honest. In sims being fast and consistent with limited tuning knowledge has go me far but there is a lot of things I would love to do (time from telemetry is apparently one I’m jumping into) and a lot of things to get even faster. So lastnight I got this up and running and did a few laps just to have something to look at.

Is it the case that not ALL data is present in ACC (not to mention other racing games). It looks like it was missing some key things after my laps, maybe it’s because this is an early release game too? Or new to the software I just don’t know how to get it to show up. I get that this is a great tool for engineers and probably takes some college etc. I have no fear I will be able to fully understand everything if I put my mind to it. I already know how to break down things I’m looking at and if it’s what I was trying to do in a given corner (break pressure and throat pressure for example, and comparing them to each other).

What I know nothing has about nor can I find is for example long and lat G forces. There just isn’t data. And my steering input or the over steering “graph” is that the right word.

Lastly is there a great place to learn HOW to use this info and translate it over to tuning? Ideally for ACC, I get it’s early and I had been finding iracing things so far, some AC as well. My tuning now consists of ‘if than’ charts I have found and other charts that tell me where to look at what place in the turns I’m at or where grip is effected if I adjust said thing.

Of example the lambo has this nasty habit of on a high speed turn during turning with any lift off the end washes out. Like on zolder turn 4 I believe it is. I have to fight the car just to not die. It’s a break then ,lift of turn, situation during a higher speed.

Thanks for reading/helpping

2. chikiwaki

chikiwaki Rookie

Hello :)
    Sadly I tried everything. Unistalling MoTeC, installing it again (the version mentioned in an earlier post), copying the Worksheets, the save setups show the laps set to send to telemetry, so they stuck, save setups at the beginning of each race session, quit each race session back to the main menu, and no telemetry files are saved anywhere :eek: (even look for them in every single folder that has MOTEC as a name.
    Any other ideas?

3. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Simracer

Did you install the acc workspace first then run the MO TeC i2 program FIRST before running ACC you need to do this as step 1
    Then run acc go to a track set the laps to be recorded.
    Run full Valid Laps then exit to the main menu, Then go into the documents/ACC/Mo TeC theay should be in there 1 x Log File and 1 x Log file Extension Data
    If you did not run Mo TeC first then un install it run acc check the setup screen to make sure the option to set the laps to be recorded is not showing.
    then go back to step 1

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  4. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

Does the "section times" worksheet work for anyone? I still only get shown the total time here :/

Additionally, is it somehow possible to open multiple data sets? I'd like to compare the cars but everytime I want to open another data set I first have to close the programm :(

EDIT:
    Totally forgot: Is it possible to show a value only for acceleration?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Tyler Sorg likes this.
  5. C#27

C#27 Gamer

Yeah, the "Section Times" worksheet does work. But it needs sectors generated. Go to Tools -> Track Editor -> Generate Sections and it should be working. Same goes for "Chan Report" worksheet.

Arlo likes this.
  6. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

It looks like the sections are already generated. Still I pressed "generate" with a threshold of 50%...but nothing changes

motec 1.PNG motec 2.PNG

7. C#27

C#27 Gamer

Okay, that is the same I did. I don't really remember if I had to do anything else. But you could check the Range Group Selection in the properties, I think a changed that as well.

upload_2019-3-10_11-27-3.png

kiril_r and JnJ | Rayleigh like this.
  8. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

Thank you, that did the trick! :)

C#27 likes this.
  9. menos | M6

menos | M6 Hardcore Simmer

It would be really nice if the telemetry data output logic could be further refined from where it is today.

Current behavior:
    - telemetry data is ONLY written after you exit an active session completely (so no quick telemetry analysis possible when you are on a online server without risking not being able to get back onto the server)
    - telemetry data is always written in one complete data string (no separation of different sessions, not even incomplete laps, so Motec i2 has also difficulties to auto select fastest complete lap times)
    - data tags are incomplete (i.e. but not limited to: driver name, session type, tire type, etc…)

I am really looking forward to further updates to the Motec telemetry support and am REALLY HAPPY that we have now an official support of Motec telemetry in a proper serious racing sim (it took a couple of years after GTR2 was the last sim that officially did).

Thank you Kunos team and thank you MoTeC for that support !

JanR likes this.
  10. kpkaka

kpkaka Rookie

Hello ,
    How you guys keep track of setup changes with different logged data files?
    I know there is Setup Sheet option in Motec, But you have to put values manually.
    Is there any way ACC can fill in setup values automatically with each logged data files?
    So when i am browsing through many data files i can see what setup i had in that particular session

11. menos | M6

Currently (and in earlier racing sims such as AC) you can simply take care of this issue with a thorough workflow:

1) test session in ACC to build a basic setup by experience and feel
    2) save this setup with the achieved lap time and timestamp within session
    3) leave the session and analyze telemetry data in motel i2 pro

With your lap time and time stamp you can later easily link a given setup from within ACC to a telemetry file after the fact.

[It would be really nice if Aris and friends could have a little peak in how the ACTI plugin for Assetto Corsa handles telemetry data write and how it properly tags and splices telemetry files with complete session data which would make work with telemetry files MUCH easier and archival more coherent]

By comparison a workflow I use for Assetto Corsa:

1) start ACTI plugin
    2) enter a session in Assetto Corsa and commence building a basic setup from experience and feel
    3) leave the track and enter the pit (still staying in live session - no need to terminate the live session for the ACTI plugin to properly splice and write telemetry data)
    4) save basic setup with achieved fastest lap time (no need for time stamp as this can easily be retrieved by managing setup files through Content Manager or through Windows File Explorer)
    5) ALT+TAB to Motec i2 Pro software and load + analyze telemetry data from current session
    6) WHILE analyzing telemetry data in Motec i2 Pro ALT+TAB back and fore to pit in AC live session and make setup changes
    7) save newly changed setup (I simply use the original setup name the new setup is derived from and add a "x" after the name)
    8) test the new setup on the track and hopefully achieve a faster lap time
    9) re-save the setup with it's new faster lap time in the name (this way my fastest setups are always displayed on top in the setup selection screen)
    10) rinse and repeat setup + telemetry cycle

Additionally I occasionally also cross reference aero telemetry data through the AiM telemetry software.
    The trick here is to RENAME the AiM telemetry file upon data ingestion to the EXACT name of the last Motec telemetry file from the actual session I load aero data from.
    This way I can easily archive and cross reference both aero telemetry data with AiM Race Studio, telemetry data through Motec i2 Pro AND my setup file archive through Content Manager, have them all match properly and can precisely analyze events and circumstances across software solutions (even including replay file data) if the need arises.

For precisely setting up certain cars (such as LMP1 or modern F1 cars with extensive aero and complex suspension systems) this is the only way to do it properly.

I truly hope that telemetry data support will be expanded and further refined in ACC as time moves on. This stuff is actually what I enjoy most about sim racing (engineering).

12. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Simracer

I think the biggest thing with the data is we should be able to access is from the garage setup menu so it can be checked on the fly lap by lap.
    Set up the car do some laps come in check the data make some changes go out and repeat the process.

menos | M6 likes this.
  13. menos | M6

Just as a random thought to immensely improve usability of the current telemetry data implementation:

@Aristotelis would it be possible to implement a console command that can be used IN SESSION to invoke telemetry data write to disk i.e. "/SAVETEL"?
    Perhaps even a manual start of data logging could be implemented this way with "/STARTTEL" and even perhaps this could eliminate the current 30 lap limitation of data logging no matter what value is selected in SETUP/ELECTRONICS?

This would be a very useful temporary solution until the telemetry data splice and write to disk is more matured towards full release.

JanR likes this.
  14. OrganDonor

OrganDonor Racer

This is absolutely amazing! Kudos to Kunos!

I've not read all the comments and replies but will leaderboard entries have downloadable MoTeC files? THAT would be something to make the game stand out if we could select any of the leaderboard entries and download their telemetry to try and match them.

15. somebody13

somebody13 Rookie

Hi guys! I have a silly question.. is there any place where i can share or find shared motec files to compare?

16. Borbor

Borbor Racer

curves are not homologated in GT3, well at least the homologation documents I have on hand there isn't one in em (and we'd be screaming the oem to take it off if they were there tbh)

Knowing the shape of the curve helps a TON in setup development because you save a crapload of time when you know your curves. For those that can simulate a shaker rig that is esp important because it basically lets you pre-determine which range of adjustments are no-go before the car even hits the track.

17. Borbor

Borbor Racer

The setup sheet in motec is powerful as hell once you know how to reference it. Some (myself included) consider its usage a pre-requisite in real life analysis.

here's the workaround for those who have a laptop:
    use the laptop for your analysis, use the desktop as your driving rig. Share the telem folder on network, this way once you "pit", you can look at the data. Saves even alt-tabbing.

this is a GT3 sim, and i hate to break some of the bubbles on here, teams running GT3 cars with pitot and floor pressure sensors for aero studies is in the minute minority.

kpkaka likes this.
  18. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

Is all the data really only recorded at 20hz?
    Speaking with real life pro race-drivers and from my own experience, this is really rough to work with, and can be misleading. Especially when looking towards suspension and dampers.
    Any plans to make this adjustable / up the data-rate? To maybe the same as what the physics run at?

TheMarshal and menos | M6 like this.
  19. niuqudejuqi

niuqudejuqi Rookie

How to see the tyre temperature?
    Thanks

20. Borbor

Borbor Racer

Setup window, in pits.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk