1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CPU Usage Warning

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Eric D, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Chriss

Chriss Racer

I have to say this warning is indeed very annoying also for me. The game runs beautifully stable at healthy FPS but this 99% warning (or what is says) is constantly flickering on and off, on and off. So Kunos if you do not want to remove this warning entirely (as for most of us the game runs very well even though the warning displays): my suggestion would be to program it in a way that the warning only shows when the CPU load stays >98% for e.g. 3 seconds in a row. I guess that would eliminate 98% of the "false positive" warnings :)

LeDude83 likes this.
  2. yes that's correct, the warning has to wait a little before appearing.

Dookie, Chriss and LeDude83 like this.
  3. Slowheit

Slowheit Gamer

I´ve never got this warning yet although I get 70-90 FPS with 28 cars (all visible), I always thought high CPU usage is a good thing and low usage prevents the processor from full utilizing the graphics card.

4. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

CPU usage high/low IMO is not so important as long as CPU doesn't cause the GPU to throttle...so I partly agree with you.

I'm starting to get the warning at ~21 AI but only once before the race starts. It starts to permanently flash at 23 AI. So with your faster CPU and nice 3600 MHz RAM, it fits into the picture that you don't get the warning even with 28 AI. You'd probably get it at AI numbers that aren't currently possible in ACC.

5. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

That seems a little odd based on my experience. With the maximum no of AI in a quick race I've yet to see the CPU warning and you have a faster processor and RAM than me and run at a lower resolution. I have most settings either high or epic (mirrors mid) with motion blur and vsync off. Do you leave any apps running in the background (like an open browser window)?

6. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Wouldn't the lower resolution be precisely why the cpu utilisation runs higher?

If this feature is tied solely to cpu usage (with no qualification for particular frame rates) then it seems that it would appear for anyone who runs a gpu which easily handles the maximum output of the cpu with their particular system and settings. This isn't necessarily the point at which the gameplay is noticeably affected for many, and maybe some adjustment could account for this if it is an otherwise useful feature to retain.

As an aside, my Mrs plays battlefield 1 @ 1080p ultra wide, 64 player online with a gtx970 with an I5 8400. The gpu and all cores on the cpu are almost pinned at 100% all the time and the experience is excellent with around 95fps consistently. I see this as a perfect balance of components having spent the minimum $ to achieve.

7. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

Now I'm really confused. You're saying you think the higher the resolution, the lower the CPU utilisation??? So 4k would have a lower CPU load than 1280x800?

8. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Yes anytime after you hit full load on the GPU. That is the point at which the cpu will 'settle' as it is being 'bottlenecked' by the fully used GPU. This point will be reached at a lower frame rate with increased resolution and/or graphics settings. This is why lower resolutions are more useful to benchmark CPUs while higher resolutions are better for GPU comparisons.
    There is an element that works the other way with some graphics options requiring more CPU power to render, however this is generally negated by the limiting effect on the GPU's ability to create more frames due to the extra demand especially of much higher resolutions and the additional pixel generation. So it would only show up in rare cases where the comparison occurs well within the GPU's range (ie where the changes vary the GPU load but it never goes close to full load for either of the settings tested).

9. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

This is only really true if you have a mismatched CPU/GPU combo - for instance, a new generation CPU with an old graphics card.

10. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Gamer

upload_2019-3-16_22-19-0.jpeg
    Don’t know where I stand here exactly. I was playing Assetto Corsa earlier and it’s super smooth with high fps and low cpu usage (see pic) but the minute I play competititzione I can’t maintain 60fps and get computer usage warnings with 10 or more AI. Confused

Baz

11. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

It's a generalised statement. I don't see how it could become untrue. And the mismatch you refer to can be created with most any component combination, dependant upon target frame rates and graphics quality.
    Anyway, I hope this helped somehow.
    My main point was that a system can be setup for a program with the CPU running near full load whilst providing a good experience. It seems that the warning message being discussed may for some users appear under such circumstances, and maybe this could be resolved by further qualification for it's appearance or an option to deactivate.

12. Remember that the AC1 benchmark is a replay, it has no physics running so it's really just benchmarking the graphics side of things but not the physics. The CPU result you get is not related with the CPU value that triggers the warning, which is only coming from the physics side.

Fremen_78 likes this.
  13. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Gamer

Forgive me as I am not very technically minded. Don't get me wrong I think competitzione is excellent and I know there will be optimisations to come before release. I just get confused when I see others post their specs and can run AI into the 20`s with no issues, no warnings and no fps drops. Where am I going wrong? What is overclocking? Are my specs poor?

Any advice from anyone is more than appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Baz

14. eh sadly that's the amazing world of PCs, and sadly nobody can find a solution other than you by comparing with others, trying different things and so on.

15. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

If you want support, you should open a new thread. You will need some monitoring tool like afterburner.

Edit: support by the community I mean.

16. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

If everything running fine and you getting the warning, this mean that is close to the limit. Just take off one AI oponnent and you will be fine.

17. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

Idea. Reading this thread I see people wanting to race many AI opponents. Could it be possible to, in the future, farm out the AI to another server in the network so that the game becomes MP versus an AI server?

18. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I am somewhat jealous you guys are been given the resources to push the limits of your CPU. For me I am not able to get anywhere near 90+% CPU core/thread load. As soon as my CPU usage hits approximately 50% my GPU throttles and I take a 40-60 FPS hit. It seems to me the UE4 engine is dynamically throttling my CPU & GPU. The main culprit is the "Visible Vehicles" setting regardless if the opponents (SP & MP) are rendered or not. I still do not understand why as I have plenty of CPU performance in reserve for this GPU throttling not to happen.

LeDude83 likes this.
  19. Stekelly1980

Stekelly1980 Rookie

I can only play with around half of the full amount of AI cars using a core i5 7400 and gtx 1080ti.

I know the cpu is to weak so I'm curious if anyone on here has tried a i7 7700k kaby lake with all cars on track?

I was going to wait and buy a new motherboard, i5 9600k, 16GB ram to go along with the gtx 1080ti but I could save some money if the I7 7700k is enough.

Its only 4 core again but has hyperthreading and clocked very high.

20. Stekelly1980

Stekelly1980 Rookie

Wow that is split across the cpus very well! Definitely more cores or threads are needed then if the game splits the load this well.

Hmmm I will definitely need to upgrade then.