1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Dirt Rally 2.0?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andrew_WOT, Sep 24, 2018.

1. People tend to sugar coat RBR which in a way is understandable but sometimes I think they should also realize that when it was released 16 years ago it already had serious physics flaws. Modders have done good things with it but the basic flawed dna is still there. On top of that it was created for PC's that had a tenth of the processing power of todays PC which should tell you something how deep and fast calculations you can do. RBR is a legend but it's still 16 years old.

RBR is still there mostly because there were no options.

2. plaid

plaid Alien

Sometimes have the feeling the Folks arguing about physics the hardest Lack the Knowledge for a valid opinion. Wouldnt Be surprising if a Part of rbrs pedestal is also the work of the virtual Elite of lala Land.
    In General Bad tarmac physics make it a Mixed bag, rallying there being a thing. but no Shame if you enjoy it anyway.

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I have the FFB working pretty decent but, I have to use the AccuForce with it because the OSW feels lifeless to me without the details. It just feels all kinds of wrong when the FFB doesn't match the motion effects at all.

Since trying some of the faster modern Rally cars, I'm having fun with DR2 and the D-Box implementation is far better than in DR1. The impression I get going over jumps is really great; upon landing, I can feel a surge of power as the tires bite into the surface - fantastic. So far, this combined with car-physics behavior is the biggest improvement I've noticed and I think the title is worth keeping for me. I still hope they improve the FFB with other wheels but, it's really encouraging that it works well with the AccuForce. There is till more FFB-testing to do but, I got so caught up with the driving that I kind of lost my focus on that. :)

4. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Am I correct in understanding that you have two DD wheels? If so, can I ask why?

5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Sadly, it's all I can afford. :(

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

. . . but, seriously; I love DD-wheels and would gladly own one of each brand until I find the ultimate one (not created yet).

In short I own both systems because each does something a bit better than the other. The AccuForce was my first DD-wheel (beta-unit) and I'm keeping it until my son is ready to take it over. Until then, I frequently switch between them and test / tune profiles with various titles. Each system has helped me develop a deeper understanding of what can be achieved and what I like in FFB.

I like the OSW but, wish it had the versatility in tuning options that SimCommander offers. If SimX offers an upgrade path that includes a more robust motor, I'd go that route in a heartbeat. If Fanatec develops something similar to SimCommander (as Thomas once eluded to) and if the podium series turns out to be reliable, I'd consider moving to the Fanatec-DD.
    Those are both speculative paths at this point but, I'm of the "more is better" type when it comes to FFB so I'm not sure anyone should follow my lead either. :)

jaxx_za likes this.
  7. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

Hi Dean, with the AccuForce when you are on the straight, does the wheel feel light to you? When making slight movements left / right? Also could you please share your SC4 settings for Dirt Rally 2? That would be great.

I'm not into powerful wheel i'm afraid. The AccuForce is already too much for my shoulders. Spend a couple of days having the FFB turned all the way up and really enjoying every curve with the AF + GS-5 combo, but now my entire shoulder hurts and i won't be able to race for at least a week :(

8. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Hi Henk, I'm still playing around with settings in SC4 but, I'm not sure if all FFB effects are working 100% yet with SC4. I expected more feel in regard to rut's in the surface; they feel more like bumps than ruts. I also want to try combining some game-FFB with SC4 details again to see what I can find there. I'll certainly let you know as soon as I upload something.

It seems that different settings may be needed for Rally vs RallyX, both for FFB and motion; the RallyX seems to be more violent in general. :eek::)

I run lower force settings for Rally, partially due to having to steer one-handed and also due to an old rotator-cuff injury and tendonitis in my left shoulder; gettin' old sux! :p:D

BTW, I noticed that you got your own special edition of GS-5 profile from Pat. :D

HoiHman likes this.
  9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Henk, I think I see what you are referring to now, there is a general lack of forces (even low-level SAT) on the straight; so yes, the wheel feels light, very light. I also noticed that there is a limit to how much bump detail we can get before it plateau's and they seem random and don't respond to smoothing the way I'd expect. The abrupt RH pull also gets stronger with the bump slider (in real-time) so something is definitely interfering with those effects. SC4 suspension effects don't seem to work at all either. Some of the bigger bump-effects work but, others seem to be missing. I guess we have to wait and see what CM and SimX work out with the FFB and plug-in.

The AccuForce (SC4-FFB) does produce bumps that the OSW doesn't using game-FFB but, I think there's still a lot of subtle details that are not being communicated in either case. I really feel there should be more surface information available but, something is preventing it from working and the way the FFB reacts to the bump slider is way off.

Do you think the other plug-in's worked any differently in DR2?

10. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

Thanks for confirming what i suspected Dean. I'm not sure if the other plugins worked better or not, will try it out and let you know if i spot a difference.

11. plaid

plaid Alien

"So, for example: if one of your friends has set up a rally lobby with Monte Carlo – you too will be able to enjoy Monte Carlo, even if you haven’t bought Monte Carlo!"

Thats definitly a nice move and helps tp keep the playerbase alive - besides you can buy the stuff seperately for a reasonable price. In Ac you can't even join a server where someone drives a car you don't own and the responses for requesting that boiled down to "just buy everything".
    Some folks seem happy now with the FFB even.

But there seems no info if they intend to make the cockpit view filter out bumps more effectively/offer something like camera locked to horizon.

Hm new stages are in the career but there are still just 6 events.

Edit: Offtopic, but the stages look really fantastic

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    ShredatorFIN likes this.
  12. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Monte Carlo is pretty great DLC tbh. I wasn't fan of this "facelift DLC" idea originally but it's actually justified in case of Monte Carlo. It feels much better than in DR1, the ice patches are very hazardous unlike in DR1, you actually feel which tyre is on the tarmac, and which is on ice patch. Have to really consider where you place the tyres and your braking points. Much lower grip on ice patches, like you would expect from reality. In DR1 the ice patches were nowhere near this dangerous. Full ice/snow sections are much more slippery too, which also seems more plausible.

Actually also makes me more interested in the Sweden DLC. And btw, you can test the Monte Carlo in multiplayer, without buying it

WRC8 clips look very good too. Graphically looks better than Dirt Rally 2.0. Hope the FFB has SAT this time and doesn't build everything around a damper. WRC7 always had that muddy, dampened feel, and if you disabled the damper from control panel, the suspension FFB went haywire

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  13. I also don't like the general idea of bringing old content as a DLC into the next title but in this case I think it's a good thing. All that old content that is brilliant in quality (locations) was left undriven in DR1 because of the bad physics. It's good to revisit the tracks now.

That said, I hope for more DLC's including new content. Because using only already-released content as a DLC is kind of a cheap trick and not good way on the long run.

WRC 8 looks really good visually but the physics looks worse than it's predecessor. Slightly disappointed to see when there's years (of development?) inbetween the titles.

Back to DR2, bring on the Winter Wonderland! :cool:

14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Hi Henk, so I may have made a bit of progress by using the game-FFB in SC4. I started with a new profile after the last update and added the Game Effects in SC4 (All at 100%) because I suspect some of the FFB may depend on the Direct-Input effects being enabled and that seems to help. I then increased the primary FFB-effects in DR2 and finally, added some Road Bumps (no Foundation-effects) in SC4.

I attached my settings in-game and SC4.

Attached Files:

HoiHman likes this.
  15. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

FFB update coming in 1-2 weeks:

[​IMG]

Not sure if DR 2.0 owners should be happy or afraid

16. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

My expectations are tempered but, at least there is some hope for improvement.

The upside with DR2's issues is that it prompted me to install RBRcz and play that for the last week or so; I really enjoy the driving but, can't get my motion system to work with it. It's always something. :p:)

17. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

DR2 FFB improved with the patch but, still some room for improvement. Micro-stutters are kickin' my butt though.:confused:

19. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Season 2 contents announced:

[​IMG]

Robin_NL likes this.
  20. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

The game "pauses" for regular around 1 second interval? (Micro stutters, really). Very noticeable when for example driving slowly in small circles, in 1st gear, in one of the rally stages. It's perfectly consistent, 1 second interval stutter. I have Vsync on, triple screen, and noticing this now.

Didn't happen some time ago. I was suspecting something with latest Nvidia driver, but driver rollback into 430.53 didn't cure the issue. Might test even older versions to see if it helps, but I doubt it. Feels more like something they added in some update now. Let me know if you figure the reason for this. It's very annoying to drive with these stutters

Last edited: May 21, 2019