1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS Brake ducts and Tyre damage

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Open brake ducts to your custom setup.

2. PabloVND

PabloVND Racer

I think with such levels of simulation ACC provides, a 100% rate of damage setting has to cause impact and also this rate to be possible to modify on server creation.

No way to casualize damage in a deep simulation scenario and when you have to deal with all these variables.

3. iCeBreaKer008

iCeBreaKer008 Rookie

You guys are doing a excellent job, every patch I like ACC more and more.

But now, some questions... :D

You said that the break pads can wear faster under overheating conditions. So, are we getting a break pad wear visual indicator in the tyres app?

Other thing, could you do a more detailed explanation about the tyre app (temp color indication, wear, etc)?

4. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0 Racer

First of all thank you for the incredible step formard !
    Please can you explain why debris is not possible ?
    however we still hope to see some kind of debris sooner or later - finger crossed :)

5. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

If you lose pressure let's say at the right rear what exactly does that mean for you and what are you supposed to do then?

6. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Let's have it in the setup page first, then we will talk about brake pads. For now their life is "infinite" ok?
    The tyre app is pretty straight forward, but the meaning of it I understand might not be, so here are examples:
    Blue colour = Cold tyres. Low grip and nervous character. The temperature in ACC doesn't simply changes the grip, but also the general behaviour of the tyre.
    Green colour = Optimum temperature range. Good slipangles, good grip.
    Red colour = Overheating. A bit less grip, but general "running on honey feel", sluggish slidey, dampened feel.

Now every bar can change colour in the middle which is the core temperature but also in the edges of the bar which is the surface. Normaly the surface of a tyre goes through "flash" temperatures, means it can heat and cool down very fast, not mantaining a stable temperature. That is normal. The main characteristics of the tyre though are given by the core temperature. Both interact, but you can ignore up to a point the surface temp and focus on the core one. It is more important.
    Still the surface temps can give you an indication of which part of the tyre gets more heat and thus wears more.
    There is no indication of wear. You can only check this when you go back to the setup screen as in real life. You can't check the tyre wear while driving, it is impossible. You will feel it from your laptimes, from a more edgy tyre behaviour, from temperatures getting lower and from experience. Some experienced users might noticed that a very worn tyre might make the gear ratios a tiny tiny tiny bit shorter. Yes we simulate the 3mm tyre depth. A worn tyre is under 1.5mm depth, so you lose 1.5mm of tyre radius too... ;)

The middle bar can go become lower or higher than the other two. This showcases the pressure. If the middle bar is lower, you have less than ideal pressure. If it is higher, you have more than ideal pressure. It is important to check this when the tyres are hot in operative temperature, say after 2,3 laps.
    We now also added the actual pressure value in psi, because most cars also have it in the cockpit and they might be poor lost sou... sorry I mean users! that drive from outside the cockpit. :p
    The pressure now are very important, as described my latest blog post. Watch out for pit radio recommendations and act accordingly. A puncture can happen at any time if you're not careful and then your race is over.

The small bars in the inside of each tyre are the brake temperatures. They will go blue during long straights, not an issue. You want them to stay as green as possible during braking. A bit of yellow or orange colour at the end of the braking zone is "ok". Be careful in the relationship between front and rear. If you have your fronts red (overheating) and the rear green, not only you will feel fade and longer braking distances but your brake bias will go backwards because you will have the front brakes fading and the rear ones in optimum braking efficiency. So watch out.

Important note: "Don't be a simracer". We simracers (yes me too) have been used by decades of information overload and have become control freaks. That was also because older simulations had less dynamic models... once you had your temperatures at a value it would stay there for ever, so simracers tried to achieve perfect values to gain any performance possible. Modern simulators are much much more dynamic. Can't tell exactly how much the others, but in particular for ACC I can say that it is EXTREMELY dynamic. So values and colours will change as you drive. Don't get obsessed about it. As long as you don't see extremes, keep driving. Check the variations on the range of 1, 2 laps, not turn after turn. This doesn't mean that the car are not sensitive to those variations, on the contrary, they are a lot! But you can't do much about it. Concentrate on driving well and the rest will come.

Well, obviously the car will be asymmetrical and that's not good. Most importantly though, if you lost lots of pressure, even if you gain a bit of heat the pressure might still result low and any riding over stepped kerbs can be a very risky situation. So if this happens, you should seriously consider to have a pitstop and change tyres. Prevention is what saves you in such situations. Once you have the problem though, there is no action you can do to "fix" the issue while driving.

Def, Opel-King, John Caetano and 24 others like this.
  7. ConvexRook

ConvexRook Gamer

You name alone suggest that you are a GOD...
    Take ma MONAAAYYYYY!!!!!!
    Thank again to you and your team for your support dedication. Posts like this make me appreciate your product even more.

Marceline, paul_wev and tabis like this.
  8. Aristotelis

Nah, it's all @Lord Kunos stuff. I'm just making sure the copy paste works properly :D
    But thanks for the kind words :)

9. I really loved all this.

10. iVG

iVG Alien

Hi Aris,
    Is it just me or we can't currently see ambient/track temperature at the moment? Also no weather forecast while driving?

11. Aristotelis

If I'm not mistaken, when it's clear skies and there is nothing changing in the weather for the next minutes, then the forecast won't show up. You can always have a look if you press esc in the pause menu, top right.

12. iVG

iVG Alien

Hang on so the symbol 10' means degrees? I thought it was minutes..... So the forecast shows degrees with the apostrophe symbol rather than degrees C ?

13. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

No it's minutes; usually 10 and 30 - but will scale to realtime for higher time multipliers

14. iVG

iVG Alien

Yeah so where exactly is the temperature readout in the setup/pause menu. All I see is track condition, forecast with litttle cloud/sun symbols and remaining session time. Am I missing something?

15. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Temperature indicators are not there yet

mr Switchblade and iVG like this.
  16. iVG

iVG Alien

Also my weather forecast seems to always be stuck on little sun with two small clouds on the sides regardless of what the weather actually is. For example on the mr git server at monza at the moment there was heavy cloud cover in P and sunny in Q but forecast didn't change what it's showing. Seems stuck to that image to me.

17. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

It indicates wetness, the icon is the same as long as it's dry. The weather forecast can't foresee cloud level.

Salvatore Amato and GRFOCO like this.
  18. iVG

iVG Alien

Oooh okay so no exactly weather forecast more like wetness forecast.. Affirmative although would have been nice to have a few icons for the actual weather but never mind. Thank for clarifying guys.

19. A-Jin

A-Jin Racer

thanks mate this post is truly awesome i liked reading it very much.
    You should do this often seriously we love these details.
    Will you continue the car posts ? like you did with bmw,lamborghini etc?
    Plz do it.
    Thx for such awesome sim i love ACC.

20. Aristotelis

I will for sure and I'm sorry I haven't delivered yet... but it's been, actually is, one of the most intense work moments ever. You saw the changelog... I can assure you there's double of this going on behind the scenes, also on the content.
    But I believe we started delivering the goods.

Arlo, LeiF, Axel Vogelsang and 12 others like this.