1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Dynamic Weather Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by MsportDAN, Apr 4, 2019.

1. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

It will be added at some point.

2. pankykapus

Remember that Aris is a physics dev, please don't bombard him with questions about everything, personally I'm surprised he still finds time to answer anything at all, not to mention things outside of his field. Also many of the questions I see here can be best answered by simply firing up the game and seeing for yourselves.

If you want to see weather effects, you should keep Effects and Materials settings as high as possible, while turning everything down. Asking a 1060 to perform well on such resolutions will not work without sacrifices.

david m, Pheebau, D.Jankovic and 2 others like this.
  3. iVG

iVG Alien

I'm sure it wont perform without sacrifices. That's why I asked what to turn down. Thanks for your answer I'll bump up effects and materials to epic and play with the rest. Thank you.

4. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Alleluia.

5. PabloVND

PabloVND Racer

Important think here after some tests: all settings in epic but antialiasing in high (taa) and effects in medium because going further on those cause movement blurrines.

6. Gopher04

Gopher04 Simracer

My problem with the weather is the rain is it always seems like we have to have it go really dark, that just doesn't happen in real life, it can piss down and still be bright and even sunny, also cloudy has the same over dark conditions as well, and stormy is just ridiculous it's almost night conditions but the headlights do nothing..

tow, isma_c_r, mms and 1 other person like this.
  7. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

Would be good if extreme Conditions could be omitted as I'm sure it'll be red flagged irl? So just have sun to med rai.n

8. admix

admix Gamer

This is my lastest experience with wet track and slick tyres.
    I started the race with 85% wetness, 0% variability, 0% puddles, 0% cloudness, 30°.
    First 30' of race with wet tyres. Then, when I started to see the ideal line start to dry, I tried my luck and I put on the slick ones.
    Here's the result.

Generally, in Zolder, with dry track and 100% AI ability, i'm "comfortably" in top 3 at the end of race.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  9. lordpatou

lordpatou Simracer

It Can be realy hard to heat tires After the rain.

10. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

@Aristotelis, maybe you might know:

I did same as @admix said 2 posts above. And I must say, in this kind of wet conditions and using dry tires its completely different story (don`t mind AI, its still a known bug).
    This was last last of 30min race (half of it AI didn`t even drive), so there was racing line start to showing up.
    Just for the info: n the beginning of the race (sun and all wet) it was almost impossible to drive on dry tires.
    --
    PS for Aris: I don`t know what kind of wet track was yesterday that I showed you a replay, but not that much wet for sure, no standing water, maybe I got confused a bit since there was quite some spray behind cars;
    maybe even better tarmac does the trick at Hungaroring, its pretty new, and ACC computes that into account too.

Ok, replay from wet Zolder:

11. admix

admix Gamer

Yeah, I don't think there's anything so wrong with the grip of slick tyres on a wet track. The grip is very low, it is almost impossible to stay on the track, and even with the dry ideal line is very easy to go with two wheels in the wet and go straight into the barriers.
    I think in your previous video it was just the spray behind the cars that confused you and made you think that the track was very wet. Obviously it wasn't, because otherwise we both tested what happens.
    I hope @Aristotelis and the development team will never include in the hud a widget that shows the percentage of wetness of the track, you would miss much of the immersion and realism.

TheBoss, Mitja Bonca and D.Jankovic like this.
  12. Turk

Turk Alien

It's not impossible, once you know where the standing water is you can just avoid it or come off the throttle. I did the special event at the hungaroring and somehow put the aggressive setup on by mistake. I had a few offs but once I knew where the water was (it can be hard to read the track with the VR settings I'm using) I was able to do the stint with dry tyres and the aggressive setup. I haven't been playing it that much so I just thought that's what the rain was like, I didn't know I had slicks on. I then went out on the wet setup afterwards it was a breeze.

13. mms

mms Alien

You mean like the tire widget? ;) Even if they put a wetness widget most people wouldn't know what 57% wetness really means. I'm just not sure how this might put people with lower-end PC in disadvantage if they cannot have the visuals on high enough to be able to estimate the wetness levels.

14. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Not a tire widget, but the percantage of track wetness. I hope not to include it too!
    There must be some sort of guessing of conditions, same as in real life.

15. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

He's most likely meaning that the tyre widget isn't realistic either.

mms likes this.
  16. mms

mms Alien

Absolutely agree. But right now I think it's harder to estimate the wetness of the track based on the visuals (especially on low-end PCs) than what the teams would be able to provide IRL. But again, as I said, even if they provide a widget, saying the track is %57 wet percent would not mean much to me, and probably most people.

I'm perfectly fine with not having a widget, however IMO it would be nice if the players would get some advice from the radio, e.g. suggesting wet/dry tires for the session start based on track wetness, forecast, s.o, or suggesting to change tires during the race.

Also, I just find the immersion/realism argument silly when we have the tire widget.

CmdrCody and tjr like this.
  17. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Is there any explanation about this tire widget, what is all about?
    But I noticed there is noting on that widget about sand or something that sticks to tire temporary.

18. admix

admix Gamer

When you know that at 43% (example) there is the "crossover", things became too easy. In the race that I did, in which I extrapolated the episodes from the previous video, it was too immersive to risk changing tires without knowing if the strategy had worked. If you have a percentage that tells you when to change tyres, it gets less exciting.
    Tyre widget tell you only the temp. Yes, not much realistic, but does not change how the percentage of wetness could do, IMHO.

Yeah! As I said before, it's too immersive to risk a strategy that you don't know if it works, in which you only have the sensations on your steering wheel to give you suggestions.

19. pankykapus

Just because you see a drying line, it doesn't mean that the line you see is fully dry. Giving you % values also doesn't make much sense from a perspective that rain or water is not a linear feature. The crossover period comes at relatively low wetness values, simply because beyond a certain point, it's just wet with an increasingly thicker layer of standing water. To give you an example, 25-30% wetness is already something you'd consider a "wet" road and not a damp one if you looked at it, but from there there's a long way to go until the track becomes a lake.
    So when you see a drying line, it is perfectly possible that the difference you see is between an outside line with standing water and an inside line that is less wet or even damp, but is still wet tyre territory. Another cool feature you might have not noticed is that if the cars don't move anymore, the water from the outside line slowly crawls back to the inside line, thus making the dry line less and less thick.
    The slick gamble is also difficult because even if the ideal line is below the crossover, you have to be very precise not to clip kerbs or slide onto the ideal line, plus you have to manage the puddles as they are in unavoidable locations and dry out slower than the rest of the surface, which keep the tyres cold so the risk of losing it is becoming increasingly high. However, sometimes it just needs to be done because the potential gain is higher than an extra pitstop or losing laptime on-track.

Just like in real life, the only real indicator you have is your laptime and experience with the conditions to know when the gamble is the right choice.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Dookie, WallyM, tabis and 8 others like this.
  20. mms

mms Alien