1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Weekly Hotlap Challenge #125 – A One Are Eight

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Totall Wrytoff, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

55.530 - Andy-R - PC
    20190423195628_1.jpg

Sorry about the sparks, they really need to add an option in shader patch to turn those off! I want to say don't lean too heavy on the ABS but it looks like I was doing so myself quite a bit.

In case it helps anyone I used this setup
    [ABS]
    VALUE=1

[BRAKE_POWER_MULT]
    VALUE=100

[CAMBER_LF]
    VALUE=-25

[CAMBER_LR]
    VALUE=-30

[CAMBER_RF]
    VALUE=-25

[CAMBER_RR]
    VALUE=-30

[CAR]
    MODEL=ks_audi_r8_plus

[FUEL]
    VALUE=4

[PRESSURE_LF]
    VALUE=23

[PRESSURE_LR]
    VALUE=24

[PRESSURE_RF]
    VALUE=25

[PRESSURE_RR]
    VALUE=25

[TOE_OUT_LF]
    VALUE=7

[TOE_OUT_LR]
    VALUE=3

[TOE_OUT_RF]
    VALUE=7

[TOE_OUT_RR]
    VALUE=3

[TRACTION_CONTROL]
    VALUE=0

[TYRES]
    VALUE=1

[WING_2]
    VALUE=0

[__EXT_PATCH]
    VERSION=0.1.25-preview74

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. Watched the vid. Twice. Absolutely exquisite!
    Must have been so very close to the penalty on the exit of the first and the penultimate corners but not, and your line through the wriggly bit is an education. Thanks for posting.
    It would be great if you could post a screen shot of the settings, so us consolers can translate. :D Cheers Andy-R

DonZmeuheu, 365gt, Lewisxbone and 5 others like this.
  3. LeiF

LeiF Alien

4. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

It was definitely very close on the exit of T1! You can't go over that curb on the outside and I was on that curb but I guess not far enough for penalty. The other places I was pretty safe I think quite close on the exit of 2nd last but safe enough. You really need to attack all those curbs for a good time here. In my earlier days of AC I stuck to my own idea of track limits out of some sort of personal chivalric code but in the end I decided it wasn't doing me any favours and the best thing is to race to the limits as specified in the game. At least it is a constant not subject to each individual's opinion.

Those setup values are likely the box values you see in setup I would think. Basically max neg camber front and rear, neutral toe rear (talking live values now not the boxes) and something like 0.07 positive front toe. Tyre pressures you can see. I tried slight negative toe front and back also but it doesn't make a huge amount of difference for me. My main issue in this car is turn in, easily solved by braking earlier so I decided to stick with a little positive toe which I believe is supposed to be better for braking and therefore not needed to brake quite so early (no idea if it works like that though but that was my thought process :D) I seem to remember reading that wing=1 in this car forces the wing to stay up rather than dynamic so I think 0 is for the best. Also fuel for 2 hotlaps... 3 max but tyres will be going off on the 3rd lap already.

DonZmeuheu, 365gt, LeiF and 6 others like this.
  5. Pretend racer

Pretend racer Hardcore Simmer

55.934 pc

[​IMG]

I used the tune from @Andy-R, and watching the video certainly helped getting the right lines down :).

I totally agree with this and I'm going to start using more track when I can get away with it. Although I had a hard time with it on this track, even though going wide into t1 sets you up for a better exit, I find it harder to modulate the brakes properly and end up understeering into t1. I was faster by staying on the track there instead.

6. Tibor Sólyom

Tibor Sólyom Hardcore Simmer

Maybe I'm alone, but I disagree with this track cutting thing. Because I think we are trying to simulate real life racing, not experimenting the limits of a rubbish penalty system, just for gaining a few tenths.
    It's like the driving aids thing. I won't use the ABS in an old car just for making it easier to drive, despite I could do that legally now.

7. DriverModFTW

DriverModFTW Hardcore Simmer

On most tracks that have curbs, they are used in real life racing, every lap. I was just watching gt3 at spa from last week and they use EVERY inch of curb, every single lap. Some cars had an issue with tire longevity from it, however it was determined you would not be competitive if you did not use the curbs at such a track as spa for my example. From my years of watching racing and fake sim racing (gran turismo and forza) you are typically not competitive unless you use every inch of a track and that includes the curbing. Yes you are very fast and competitive on here tibor, but dont limit yourself to the time available by using the track limits. I know from watching streams that iRacing has some strict curb limitations, however this is not iRacing.

8. Tibor Sólyom

It's not about the curbs, you haven't seen the video maybe. There are 3 very obvious off-track moments which are really weird for me.

Totall Wrytoff likes this.
  9. DriverModFTW

For arguments sake, I understand where you are coming from Tibor. I watched the video. 2 instances you are referring to are t1 and t8 I think. I completely understand that it is un-natural to go across any curb for turn in. Sure the limits are not what we are used to, however it doesn't mean we cannot take advantage of such leniency. It seems in my experience that any and all top 1% lap times within any given racing game, take full advantage of track limitations no matter how far they go.

Totall Wrytoff and Andy-R like this.
  10. Lewisxbone

Lewisxbone Alien

Improvement ish

56.124 - X1X

[​IMG]

Totall Wrytoff, Andy-R, 365gt and 4 others like this.
  11. Tibor Sólyom

So you think everything what makes your lap time faster is allowed?
    If I cut a chicane and the program doesn't recognize it, is my lap time valid?
    If I switch off the damage and bounce back from Highlands armco with 100 mph just to gain a sec is it still valid?
    I just saying it's a racing simulation we should use the rules of real life racing.

12. DriverModFTW

The highlands wall bounce example is extreme, I dont support such a reckless approach. Take the chicane (or lack thereof) at highlands as an example to answer your own question of cutting a chicane and still have a valid lap. If you dont cut that chicane, your time wont break any records since the record setters do cut it. I am too new at this simrig/wheel/pedal setup world with physics such as assetto to say my argument holds any weight. I can however give my opinion based on what I watch other, much faster than I, people do for their impressive lap times.

I agree with you for using real life limitations. The problem here is the programmers for assetto clearly had a few too many glasses of wine while setting the parameters for track limits haha With that issue being stated, most people will take the limitations to its edge for any conceivable gain because it is part of "gaming" in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  13. Pretend racer

Pretend racer Hardcore Simmer

Yes.

Yes, because the answer to question 1 is yes. But it doesn't make it right.
    This is an issue that has been discussed on the SRS forums quite a bit because its possible to cut on a version of donington.
    http://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=4987

I agree but were limited to the rules of the simulation which are exploitable, so you limit your potential if you don't exploit the game.
    This is why its important to try to agree on 'rules' before participating in any type of event. RSR keeps track of options used to set laptimes, which lets you compare people using the same settings as you.
    Our WHC as a set of rules as well which level the playing field a bit.
    I think thats the best thats possible when trying to simulate reality.

14. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Some run off is considered part of the track. You will easily find pictures of highest level (F1) cars going full off track at RBR, IIRC they even built some new curbs to try and stop them doing it.

AC track limits seemed a little excessive to me at first also but it is what it is. I remember when I was doing ALOOG1 I tried setting wheels off track to one to make the limits more sensible but had to swap back to two after some complaints (which I agreed with, one is a bit too far.) At the end of the day without everyone posting a video and following some well defined rules the fairest thing is to use the AC limits for a valid lap. Whether you feel they are too far or not it is the fairest way. With AC limits as they are you are going to find yourself pretty far off pace at places like RBR and Imola if you refuse to use curbs and/or run off.

Just Google corner cutting Motorsport and on the first page of results you will see F1 cars full off track at RBR. I think they do it to one extent or another in all motorsport I watch TBH. If you want to go full realism you should probably leave TC on in this Audi, I'm guessing you can't turn it off IRL.

15. Tibor Sólyom

No rules then. I just had a stupid romantic idea of fair play. Something like gentleman racing haha.

paul_wev likes this.
  16. Emmanuel Tubbiolo

Emmanuel Tubbiolo Hardcore Simmer

Ok lads. I will try to settle this. I am in a waiting room in hospital for something a bit more serious than curbs and track limitation .. i said to myself let's see the news on the WHC to change my mind. To tell you the truth I think you all have vood argument and agree with most of it. The only thing I don't get though is this is undermining Andy R performance after kindly sending a video and an incredible lap time. I think it's P.R. that said that but I've tryed on that first corner even before the video to try to get a better angle but it didn't make me faster. For the last corner I think we will be all agree that we just hope for the best and hope it doesn't touch that track limitation. And I am agree with Tibor for chicane and stuff. I think the way we are doing that WHC is just perfect. Different styles, different approach (talking about the aliens there not me... have no style..). Anyway all this to say peace and let's get on with racing.

17. Tibor Sólyom

You're right.
    I hope you are fine, wish you all the best!

18. Emmanuel Tubbiolo

Emmanuel Tubbiolo Hardcore Simmer

No worries at all Tibor and thanks a lot. Really didn't want to make yous feel bad and I know it's not the place to talk about them things. Just came out because I felt a bit sad to see those arguments. It's good yous are keeping me company ...

19. DonZmeuheu

DonZmeuheu Hardcore Simmer

To be honest....I think both sides have their pro and cons:) and I agree with all of you. I was never a fan of using the outside of a curb to get a better steering angle for the next curve but I dont think its because of that not a good lap. I mean its an extreme impressive lap of Andy Riches. Sometimes the track limitations differ from real life to sim. Sometimes the sims are far more strict than in real life. For example Portimao. On the other side the opposite of my example also exists. Last week I drove a Ferrari GT3 Race in Interlagos on Iracing. In the last curve you have on the track before going uphill to the start finish line everybody has take the outside of the curb to get a better steering angle for the next curve. I never do that on this track because of fear touching the grass on the outside and spun my car. But the guys who used the space and curb on the outside wasnt faster than me and I managed to overtake a few of them when going uphill. So what I try to say I dont think that it makes you so much faster using all the space you got;)

20. DonZmeuheu

DonZmeuheu Hardcore Simmer

Wish you all the Best:) get well soon