1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Beginner guide to Assetto Corsa Competizione?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Silversurfer, May 9, 2019.

1. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

I'm new to the sim racing world and while I've played arcade sim racing games, I've never delved deep into full sim racing games. This is my 1st attempt and I'm literally struggling to understand it. Is there a guide or a video that can help someone like me to better understand the game? Does the previous version of Assetto Corsa have any value as this game is made in Unreal?

I keep trying to get a clean lap but I can't seem to understand what the game considers a clean lap. I can't drive too slow, and pushing too hard isn't sensible obviously. I know there's a sweet spot to hit but it seems like an uphill task to get there without a guide. I understand the game is in it's early stages, but was hoping someone here could guide me to understanding it better.

Thanks!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions How to gain good rep in ACC (Beginners Guide) Nov 2, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Setup Guide for Beginners May 9, 2020
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC Screenshots Beginners' Guide Dec 25, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Beginners guide to Assetto Corsa? Dec 21, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Beginners guide to triple monitor setup Sep 18, 2015
    General modding discussion How to create your own showroom video guide / for beginners Jan 31, 2015
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Beginner from Gran Turismo 7 Aug 18, 2023
    Online Leagues / Championships room Beginner Variety League Apr 21, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Beginner ACC League! Dec 17, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Help for a beginner sim set up (hardware) Sep 6, 2021
    Physics Bugs & Issues Beginner driver needs help with FOV Dec 16, 2020
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room SimRacingXP - German speaking beginner friendly Community & League Jul 25, 2020
    ACC General Discussions The beginner's problems and various questions Mar 19, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Career-beginners questions Oct 17, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Toxic beginner in competizione server Aug 17, 2019

3. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

If you are completely new to a sim, you should focus on learn the track. Remember to brake early and maximize your corner speed. Once you learn the track enough, you will get a clean lap after lap after lap. What car/track combo are you using trying to get TR?

4. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

I think it would be interesting to have some explanation ingame, especially with the rules : penalties, flags etc...

5. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

I started off on Nurburgring on the Lamborghini Huracán GT3. I started with the default setup and then tried the safe setup, but with both I couldn't get a clean lap. I am try to learn the track, haven't understood the braking points yet, or rather haven't been consistent enough at each braking point.

6. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

What kind of controller do you use? I think it might be useful to know if you use a wheel or a gamepad if you're gonna get some help.
    Basically a clean lap is a lap where you stay between the white lines and point at the right direction the whole time. I'm not sure if the TR rating requires you to lap at a maximum time for it to be considered a clean lap, but if you're playing a simulator for the first time you shouldn't even focus on that too much, just start lapping until you know the circuit, the braking and turning points and eventually it should come.

7. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

welcome @Silversurfer !

First, please have a look at the FAQ and especially the part about the Steam association
    upload_2019-5-9_9-49-27.png

To your original question; do you speak german by chance?

PiretSS2000 likes this.
  8. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

Base set up and safe set up are the same. Well, if you don't understand already were to brake... Practice! :p that's the only way of gaining consistency

9. Arlo

Arlo Racer

to get used to the track and look for braking zones, for a few laps use the Guideline in the assist box. when comfortable in the car and track turn it off and look for brake markers, ia distance boards for corners, curbstones ect. . Also if you set the track on optimum look for the darker patches on the track before corners, you also can identify brake zones that way.

PiretSS2000 likes this.
  10. Turk

Turk Alien

If your an absolute beginner to racing or driving fast there are a number of videos on youtube that will explain the philosophy of fast driving, flat car and so on. I don't think driving fast is that intuitive, people tend to think being aggressive, foot to the floor, brake at last second is the way to be fast but it's not.

I found the skip barber video on youtube to be an excellent introduction for beginners.

One thing I had been getting wrong before watching that video was lift off oversteer. I keep spinning the car on a particular corner, I was coming off the throttle, spin, braking, spin, it didn't make sense to me that the more I tried to slow down the quicker the car would spin. I didn't understand car balance and how my attempts to slow down the car were making the rear end light, reducing traction causing the spin.

Driving fast is like a martial art, you need to understand what's going on, you need to train your body to be precise and you need to train endurance so you can be perfect over and over again, lap after lap.

When it comes to ACC I would also like to see some guide, even the UI is more advanced and there's a lot of information there that needs to be explained.

11. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Yes, please list your hardware in your signature so we can help you out.

Firstly welcome to the AC/ACC community. You have already made the right first step which is to take a breath and ask for help before jumping into a multiplayer server like so many novice drivers do and ruin someones race. Each car in ACC has it's own unique characteristics. Personally I would stay away from the 488 & Lambo for now as these are the two more difficult cars to drive & setup well. I suggest the Nissan GTR 2018 however it's up to you. Pick one track to begin with and use the safe preset setup to begin with. I think the Nurburgring is a good track to learn on. I suggest learning to drive in the cockpit view and spend a few weeks practicing, practicing, practicing. Then practice some more. Don't worry about setup changes for now unless you really know what your doing. Eventually you can try the aggressive setup to see & feel the differences then move onto a custom setup with only ever making small incremental changes if need be. You can study some online hot laps to see what are decent lines to take from the pros and there is plenty of online info when it comes to car setup. Weeding out the bull**** is a challenge and a bit of trial and error however it will be worth it as your knowledge grows. When I joined AC a handful of years ago even though had experience in rFactor I still did not join a MP server for several months. That gave me time to learn how to tweak the game & my hardware to best suit my needs as well as learn how the car responds in certain situations. I was very mindful of not having a bad reputation as a wrecker. In time the speed will come. Just be patient and enjoy the journey :)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    uelas_77, warth0g, chksix and 3 others like this.
  12. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

@Poguinhas
    Sorry I should have listed that out. I'm using a Logitech G29 without a gear shifter and playing on a PC. Right now I am just focusing on trying to drive without going off the roads or having to brake hard. But I notice that if I drive a bit slow in certain sections the meter on the top right keeps saying "too slow".

@Minolin
    Thanks I'll look into that, neat the site lets you link your steam account! Nope not German sorry.

@PiretSS2000
    That's what I plan to do till it all clicks in. I need some consistency as I notice each lap I do isn't clean and my time varies, I don't want to rush it either, this game doesn't feel like one that can be rushed.

@Arlo
    Oh cool that's a good suggestion. I was relying a lot on the guideline, will turn that off.

@Turk
    Thanks for the link! Yeah I know this game is different from the arcade racing games from the minute I realized I couldn't brake hard with all assists on and hit the 1st corner on the Nurburgring track. I know it's definitely going to take a lot of practice, that's something that I mentally knew, and the fact that people keep bringing it up just confirms it for me.

@Coanda
    Thank you! I will be honest, I wanted to race multiplayer after watching some online races on youtube, but in my 1st trial lap in the single race I knew I was way out of my depth to even consider multiplayer. I'll check out the other cars, I just picked the 1st car the game gave, good to know it's a tough beast to tame, I'll switch to the GTR and see if I can learn better. Yeah the plethora of settings that can be tweaked seems daunting and I know it'll take a while to wrap my head around it. I'm hoping that those settings are something I can google and understand what they do rather than just blindly tweak values and hope to get something working.

Thank you all for the responses. I understand that this is a slow process and the key factor is practice. I hope in the near future I get good enough to race online with you guys!

PiretSS2000 likes this.
  13. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I understand, if your itching. Start with a SP Ai grid with roughly 5 cars. Start from the rear and just practice being around other cars. The Ai is not too bad at Nurburgring. Look at how the tyres are behaving over a 15-20min stint. For your 1st MP server runs I suggest finding a server with one lengthy FP1 session. You can do your own thing and then link up with a few drivers on your pace. There is also a lot less ego and agro on these servers if you get it wrong. Regarding setup changes... People including myself will help you around here if you have any questions. There are some real gurus willing to help out. Keep the changes small and only to one area each change, then test & repeat. Get a feel for what the changes are doing and also read on what the changes should be doing. Car setups are about give & take. What you want here & what your willing to sacrifice there to get it. Obviously track characteristics, weather and driving style play a big part in your decision making. The default setups Kunos have provided are not too bad so I would suggest stating there. Good luck :)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  14. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

I think I can hold myself a little bit. If I get bored of practicing, I will try a SP race, that would be nice to try as practicing doesn't make me learn how to brake when there are other cars ahead of me or around me for that matter.

Coanda likes this.
  15. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

If you're not comfortable with other cars that's okay, just start lapping and you'll probably improve quite quickly at first. Back at the end of 2014 when I first got AC and my wheel, at first I would struggle to do 2m40 laps at Spa with the 12C GT3, after a few days I was already around the 2m22 mark, which isn't blistering pace by any means, but quite okay for a beginner.

At the beginning you'll probably make a lot of mistakes, dont worry, it takes a bit of time to iron those out. When you come to a point where you think "I can't go any faster and I don't know where I'm losing time" , then it would be a good idea to post a video and let us help you out again.

Silversurfer likes this.
  16. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Some really great advice here. This game is unique in that it has a very deep ratings system which is designed to guide you through the skills you need to succeed. It would be interesting to hear your views on this as someone completely new to the genre.

Practice, practice, practice. Find a car that you are comfortable with, a track(s) that you enjoy and try racing against the AI, slowly raising their competence. Start at the back of the grid and try to make your way through the pack. And most of all, enjoy.

17. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

@Silversurfer by the way, you asked if the previous version of assetto corsa has any value, it does.
    ACC uses unreal engine just for the graphics, the physics are an evolution of the physics from AC1. You can very well use AC1 to practice and all the skills you learn will translate to ACC, in fact it might be a good idea since you'd be able to start on different cars. I would personally recommend the bmw m325i, since it's not too fast, doesn't rely on downforce and is relatively simple to drive. Also I think the softer suspension in comparison to a gt3 car may help you realize your mistakes better.

uelas_77, Silversurfer and Coanda like this.
  18. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Enable the ghost car. It will show how you drove when doing your best lap. You can move brake points and use the track more to see if you can catch the ghost car. Once at your limit it will become quite frustrating since it will stay in front and taunt you ;)

eracerhead, Arlo and Coanda like this.
  19. Turk

Turk Alien

Luckily, for the most part you can completely ignore setup changes, unless your into that sort of thing. Setups are a dark art and I just don't bother with it. The two standard setups are fine and until you can be fast with those you have nothing to gain from changing the setup.

20. Luatz1

Luatz1 Racer

my advise:

1.- while on track, make sure that you are pressing both throtle and brake to the maximum (green and red bars down right side of the screen), there are people that don't push hard enough and just brake at....80% and they think that they are braking at 100%.

2.- I'd say the Ferrari and BMW are the easiest to control without spinning (you have to find the one you are most confortable with). Set TC to the max if you need to.

3.-keep on lapping, don't give up, and most important, don't exceed yourself trying to push too hard, believe me, you will do it wrong. just drive relaxed, try to understand what the car wants, and try to give a "flow" to the car (no abrupt movement), slowly you will start improving and understanding.

4.- in case you don't know the right lines of the circuits, find a good pace for the IA, the one that more or less matches you, and just staybehind them, see the line they take, it will help you.

Arlo likes this.
  21. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Unless I'm missing something, with the exception of the Steam association thing I can't see any FAQs relevant to ACC. Doesn't seem particularly useful advice for a new - and potentially confused - user.