1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

READ HERE About 1.0 multiplayer structure

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Minolin, May 8, 2019.

1. martcerv

martcerv Alien

You could simply look for better servers, and if the majority did this then they would have better racing.

Sadly it shows the general incompetance of sim racers who want everything but wont do anything to help their own cause.

Without forcing the system upon the majority I guess it will be doomed. It seems easy to understand for someone like me thats not even that smart but still far too complicated for most.

EA user base is down so your not going to have huge fields of good drivers and especially not if they cant figure out the most basic thing of using restricted servers to get a much better mp experiance.

jaxx_za likes this.
  2. Aika_rajuu

Aika_rajuu Gamer

This has to be a bait but i take it.
    - System to place people of the similar skill level against each other has been around for YEARS in every other game genre only simracing is still in '99 server browser mode.
    - Let me tell you why good drivers don't like to use server browsers: It's extremely pain in ***. Hopping from server to another just to find out that there is mby one guy that provide a challenge.
    - Also the safety thing does not really matter that much after a certain skill level is reached, OFC there will be dangerous drives that will make risky moves but they still know limits of the cars thus making the safety rating completely irrelevant after certain skill level is reached.

Fremen_78 and SlimCharles like this.
  3. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

Speaking as someone who had to be convinced about the matchmaking, and who also wants competitive championships integrated in the game, I think I can provide a somewhat balanced view:
    Kunos has created two things unique for ACC: a global advanced rating system, and a matchmaking filter.
    Right now, for 1.0, they are not providing an intelligent on-demand server creation system based on people’s requests.
    What they have provided so far are tools that can be used and improved going forward, to support many more ways of matching players to their favourite track and event.
    The system does need fine tuning but the rating system is already proving quite effective, and the matchmaking filter is actually quite a bit more sophisticated than I thought at first.
    The developers are incredibly keen on getting the simulation aspect of this title just right, and they know that the multiplayer aspect is also important longer term.
    It seems to me (and that’s me reading between the lines) that they are not satisfied with what’s currently admittedly proven to work, because it will not provide a sustainable ‘contract’ between the players, Kunos and the multitude of communities who want to set up their own championships.
    Edit: I disagree that past a certain point the rating doesn’t matter. Especially since this new rating is pretty fine grained and evaluates several aspects of the driving performance and is well integrated into the simulation so it’s not just the incident counter you find in every other title, including SRS and iRacing.
    Therefore, they focused on the tools.
    My wish is that, for example, the rating system will allow all communities to compare drivers amongst different championships.
    And my other wish is that the matchmaking will not only be used for servers but also for championships: I think it is really clever to check a number of weighted variables to provide a better match.
    The execution of the filter is currently a bit complex admittedly and baffled me too at the start. But it will get better.

4. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Don't really want to join the discussion, just a note that may be useful then: Those two colored entries
    upload_2019-5-11_1-38-13.png
    indicate both how clean (both live accident count and looking at driver's SA ratings) a server atm is, and how competitive people around are (compared to you, personally). Is not yet functional in 0.7, but that's the plan.

Additionally you can tell the system to focus on competition by increasing the corresponding weight; if done extreme you'll find the most interesting servers on top of the list. Ofc. this can only work when the above is functional.
    upload_2019-5-11_1-40-56.png

And last, ofc. you could try to add the few guys you can race with as steam friends, then it's basically impossible to miss them.

Aseeth, martcerv, Dookie and 15 others like this.
  5. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Was just thinking this morning if it would be possible to show current SA average, and lowest to highest of drivers on the servers something along those lines and here it is, awesome. Would it be possible to get other details like pace of drivers or is that adding too much traffic?

6. Si.

Si. Simracer

I think maybe you’re just too good compared to everyone else and there’s no one to match you with :rolleyes:.

mr Switchblade and martcerv like this.
  7. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

May sound ridiculous, but yes. Atm I'm careful to add load and bandwidth, our backend already does a lot and we need to see how things play out under more load. Atm performance is excellent, even with way-above figures of active drivers, but that doesn't mean we can forsee how things evolve during the year.
    That doesn't make seeing drivers less appealing, I totally agree and think about my stance in this matter basically every day when I look at the server list ;)

Dookie, Coanda, LeDude83 and 4 others like this.
  8. Mercenairy

Mercenairy Gamer

Bloody hell..... at the very least all they needed was an online ‘special event’ that rotates tracks every week to match the series in real life or something and I would have been happy. I want a competitive online racing experience from a sim racing game. Only having server lists is what is going to be the factor leaving me to get over this game and play another sim very quickly. I was ready to love this game, but without a real competitive multiplayer it just isn’t going to scratch my itch.. :(

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  9. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Ok safety is not a concern beyond a certain level so at your amazingly high level you want to race with people that cant race safely? Which clearly indicates control and to some level pace and consistancy.

The system also has basic track medals system which is too hard for most to comprehend.

1 medal means a person can do 1 clean lap
    2 medals 2 consecutive clean laps
    3 medals means someone can do 4 consecutive clean laps.

So simply choosing servers that dont have 3 medals restriction means its open for people to join that cant complete 4 clean laps. And you somehow want competitive racing from people that cant meet this basic requirement. :rolleyes:

Now lets look at safety, at a certain level good racers will easily get an 80+ most likely 90+SA rating. This doesnt guarantee pace but it guarantees a certain level of competance in traffic.

So now lets look at the server lobby you have a choice of a server with no track medals restriction, you join and many people in there cant even complete a lap. Well no chit simple solution only join servers with min 3 medals and maybe more in the future.

Then safety wise your a good competitive racer at 90+SA (Im assuming as its not hard for a good driver to get this) you want to race similar people so you join a fully open server allowing people much worse then you. Then you amazingly wonder why you have a field of people that can barely race and are uncompetitive. Simple solution again is find the strictest entry server you can join.

A server at SA80+ if full will clearly have a way better standard of driving and better pace then a fully open full server. ;)

You all want matchmaking but refuse to use it. You have a pretty simple choice but its too hard for most of you to figure that out, so join that open server at Spa and complain about it.

I really am beyond caring if you have a crappy mp experiance if you do this by choice or are too thick to figure out what has been provided will greatly improve this.

Maybe you need the system to actually put you into that better server because all that is way too complicated for you to understand, this sadly is the case most likely.

Why not try use whats available and compare your open server method to an SA 65+ server with 3 medals. See which gives you a better and more competitive experiance. Even 10 people in the restricted server will give you a better race then 30 in the open one 99% of the time.

renato63, ctnich, vortex19 and 3 others like this.
  10. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

For me ACC is the best sim out there, but most importantly it has the best potential. Release 1.0 will be just the beginning.

I am a bit disappointed at they way people have reacted to a statement by Kunos about matchmaking. People are throwing around accusations of deceit and untruths; which honestly beggars belief. I know that people are passionate about this sim and want it to be a complete success; so this i suppose this is to be expected. The current matchmaking service is adequate, and I am sure that leagues and championships will arrive in the future; promoted either by Kunos or enthusiasts. We have the best physics, graphics and sounds in any sim, and all developed by a small team that actually has the passion and drive to develop a world class sim. So lets just look forward to the 29th when the game is released and see where we go from there

OaksMokedBacon, renato63, tjr and 9 others like this.
  11. sr bubbles

sr bubbles Gamer

Without a real competitive mode this game will born dead.
    No mods, no scheduled races, only 10 tracks... How many people will play this game 2 month after 1.0 release?... Just look pcars2.
    Very sad for this ending after being supporting during all EA period.

12. martcerv

martcerv Alien

So just the same thing as that thread then, only in a video and in Spanish. Does he actually cry as I am sure many of these guys have water damaged a few keyboards in the last 24 hours. :D

chksix, Coanda and jaxx_za like this.
  13. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Been playing it for the past 8/9 months mate, because AC /R3E feels dated in comparison. I'm not expecting that to change after 1.0.

I don't race Pcars2 simply because it feels unrealistic to me. Even an IRacing type multiplayer (notice I didn't use the word matchmaking ) system in Pcars2 wouldn't change that for me.

Coanda likes this.
  14. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Yes, I remember those videos. But in all honesty mate that is also the point at which I stopped clicking on your videos, because I felt the content was moving away from being objective and trending towards click bait.

How is the rating system in its current form NOT a matchmaking function?

martcerv and LeDude83 like this.
  15. Still more popular than ac and iracing. You forget about ps4.

16. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Is this not because of the size of community at the moment, rather than the fault of the multiplayer functionality?

Imagine a scenario of say 5000 active players and an equivalent number of servers. The server browser will lead you to the track of interest, and the rating system will allow you to join a race with opponents of a similar skill level. What more is needed in your view?

LeDude83 likes this.
  17. XettMan

XettMan Hardcore Simmer

A queue that collects players and splits them automatically to servers depending on performance rating.
    Even with 5000 players the system as it is right now every server would be filled with aliens and absolute slow drivers like me.

18. ohjeah

ohjeah Hardcore Simmer

Acc multiplayer with it's current system might be fine for casual driving but it will definitely lack the the real competiveness. Safety rating will help make the racing clean but if all it offers is somewhat clean races people will get bored pretty fast as there is no real competition or goals to aim for etc, just casual races, people joining and leaving midrace etc.

No idea how pcars2 multiplayer has been lately but I drove that for a few weeks after the release and then lost interest pretty quickly, afraid the same will happen with this, and kind of has already happened during the ea.

SlimCharles, XettMan, Luatz1 and 4 others like this.
  19. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Well, not if the servers were segmented by SA rating. Having servers with SA ratings of say 0, 10, 20, 30 etc will achieve the same, though not automatically. But again, numbers are needed for it to be effective.

But let's just think about an automated queue for a moment - with a small player base, you will still end up with aliens and us mere mortals on the same server. Heck this even happens in SRS. Then there is also the time element - an automated queue will still need schedule races to batch players, else the result will be multiple partially filled races.

LeDude83 likes this.
  20. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

Basically he wants the whole iracing experience in ACC because most of his content is based on matchmaking races on iracing, any less than that and he start to rant like a scorned woman. I can't stant that elitist youtuber and his massive ego, arrogance and self entitlement. He bases his videos in ranting about everything that doesn't go his way or don't works as he would like, humble bragging about hardware and racecraft, and openly critizice even his own subscribers when they show him his flaws in the slightest or they don't share his opinions, all of that while maintaining a very smug and defiant attitude trying to come across as a humble person. Sometimes he has his points, but his attitude overshadow any points he can have. At first he was pallatable but as his subscriber number has been increasing he has been showing more and more his true persona and strong opinions. To me he is the Cyril Abiteul of the simracing youtubers.

chksix likes this.