1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CPU temperature

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by renato63, May 13, 2019.

1. renato63

renato63 Racer

Yes the fans are in place, I have one in front of them that introduces fresh air and one behind that expels warm air.
    With the other games, even the GPU does not exceed 65 degrees, it is only with ACC that it is all an oven :p

LeDude83 and luxxx797 like this.
  2. renato63

renato63 Racer

Here is an example of CPU temperatures after a 1 hour race against the AI.
    The GPU has always remained at 55-56 degrees with the v-sync activated.
    upload_2019-5-13_20-5-6.png

upload_2019-5-13_20-5-20.png

3. fabT

fabT Alien

You've probably a somewhat low performing CPU cooler.
    I had similar temps before changing it.
    It was some Arctic Freezer model for me as well.
    Then switched to Noctua.

Just for comparison i've just run a 30 minutes test on Prime95, on most aggressive / heating settings.
    No game gets even close to the heat Prime95 will generate CPU wise, in my experience.

Cooler was barely audible and as you notice the max temperature ever reached was 64 °C.
    Room temp was about 22 °C.

After putting the Noctua in i never had issues with CPU cooling.
    Mind the fact it fits into my small MINI ATX case, which hosts a Zotac mini GTX 1080 GPU as well.
    So CPU+GPU is about 275W (peak) within a pretty confined space.

At times i can see the voltage regulator ( VRM ) throttling, because of a mediocre mainboard.
    Never seen CPU throttling. Before changing the cooler the CPU did throttle down at times.

Mind the fact CPU is 95W TDP ( but it actually goes over 100W ) , not many coolers will handle that decently.
    i5-4690 is only 84W TDP, which is 13% less than i5-8600, so the latter is putting much more strain on the cooler.
    The Freezer 11 LP is stretched to its limits there ( it's rated up to 95W - https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/freezer-11-lp.html ).

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    LeDude83 and luxxx797 like this.
  4. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thanks for the graphs. Impressive how evenly spread the load is on all 6 cores. I'm starting to get the impression that ACC spreads superb across physical cores and not so well, anymore to hyper threads.

On topic: while there is still no real issue with your temps, the important bit is the direct comparison to similar GPUs. You have collected somne experience from others with i7 8700, 8600k and further CPUs. It looks that your temps are a little on the high side.

I also think it's your cooler. Not saying this is the solution, but here's an anecdote: I had an i5 2500k and an Arctic Freezer 13 cooler on it. At some point I realized that the CPU hits ~95 ° in AC and starts to throttle. It must've been doing that for a long time.
    So I took the cooler off and realized it had tilted away from the heatspreader due to the cheap, poor plastic fixture bracket.

So I replaced it with the CoolerMaster Hyper 102 (after having checked that it has a decent fixture). And temps at lof noise levels were in the 60s, ever since. Bought the exact same cooler when changing to 7600k and use it now on the 8700, too. Results are the same - temps always in the 60s.

So check your cooler. There's no need to wait for 1.0 - the CPU load is very unlikely to change.

5. renato63

renato63 Racer

As a case I have a Centurion CAC-T01 (pictured), the maximum width is 18.50 cm and from the MB to the outer wire I have about 15 cm of space to mount the heat sink.
    The Noctua are too big.
    I had also thought of Arctic Freezer 13 but you tell me it's not good.
    You have a CoolerMaster Hyper 102 but saw that it is no longer for sale, while I see that now there is the CoolerMaster Hyper 103.
    He is 13.90 cm tall so he should stay in my case.
    The only thing is that to mount it I have to disassemble all the MB again because I don't have the opening in the back.

upload_2019-5-14_10-34-6.png

LeDude83 likes this.
  6. Steve32

Steve32 Simracer

I had to change my cooler on my PC HP Omen 880.
    i7 8700 gtx 1070 all in sig as they used a shoddy low profile fan and temps were hitting 90c +
    I went with thy cooler master 212 black edition idle temps of 25c think max iv seen so far is 50-60c, its a pretty cheap cooler as well £30

Cooler dimensions

Width 7.7 cm
    Depth 12.3 cm
    Height 15.88 cm

7. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

TBH I think I even have the 103. So I recommend to go for that one. Given the low price of that thing, the risk is low.

8. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

Of course the CPU temps are higher in ACC. The game is very demanding because it has to calculate high level physics for each AI on race (along with dynamic weather)
    Comparing to AC there is more CPU load because the physics are move advanced, there is more to calculate.

I don't know really know for the other games, it might be the same reason.

9. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

Not all of them. As you're a little restricted for cooler height, I'd look at the Noctua NH-U9S. It's only 12.5cm high but the cooling performance is probably the best in its class. The Cooler Master is a good budget cooler but the Noctua is better if you can afford it.

10. Atak_Kat

Atak_Kat Simracer

For the original OP, yes, I do find that ACC runs generally hotter temps than other games I have, for pretty much everything (CPU, GPU).

Are you sure? I assume your case is bigger than mine... I know this isn't a 'show your PC' post, but below is mine (some changes since this photo with a top exhaust fan and rear exhaust fan added)
    I have the H200i case, and the Noctua NH-D15 cooler. Motherboard is itx ROG z370i. CPU is i7-8700k
    There are literally maybe 1-2mm space between the cooler and the glass cover, but it fits.
    I had some issues in the beginning to get the temps under control, but with some help on these forums (and other forums as well) I was able to manage the fan profiles in a pretty good way.
    I have not run any good benchmarks lately, but CPU has been very good under load in 50s, maybe 60s max. (without any overclocking)
    Recently I decided to try the 'easy' overclocking through the motherboard BIOS (not the crazy complicated way, just by putting it into 'Extreme' mode). Seems to run quite close to 5Ghz now (I'm just using simple monitoring software that also shows FPS, so nothing ultra scientific here....), and honestly the CPU temps are no different or worse than before.
    I tried Prime 95 once before, maybe I'll try it again with the OC now. See what happens.

_MLK0091.jpg

11. Atak_Kat

Atak_Kat Simracer

Sorry, but is that a really old case? Maybe that's more the issue? I looked it up but maybe I looked wrong. Seems to me there is no (or minimal) intake on that case?
    Could be that the solution is to get a better/newer case with better intake/exhaust airflow? Maybe also less expensive...
    (Disclaimer.... I know nothing.... only a shot in the dark, with risk to embarass myself)

12. renato63

renato63 Racer

Yes you are right, the case is very old, it is already the third motherboard that I mount :D

13. renato63

renato63 Racer

I saw on the Noctua website that the NH-D15 is 16.50 cm high so it doesn't enter for sure.

14. renato63

renato63 Racer

Beautiful, this certainly enters the case, this evening I order it.
    When I have mounted it I will update you on the new temperatures.
    A NOOB question, is it better to put a little thermal paste at the center of the CPU or spread a thin layer over the entire surface?
    Thanks to everyone for the precious advices :)

15. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

I use the cross method but, if you ask 100 system builders, you'll probably get 100 different answers. Which ever method you choose, only use a little thermal compound - you want the thinnest layer you can get for the best heat transfer.

fnegroni likes this.
  16. Steve32

Steve32 Simracer

Everyones different when comes to thermal paste and is quite a few videos recently on youtube by gamers nexus / jayztwocents / linus tech tips

but generally a pea sized blob in centre is generally sufficient I tend to do 2 small lines across the cpu, only thing to check is the paste it self make sure its not a conductive one if it is go easy, as if it does spread on to motherboard could cause a short.

17. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

18. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

19. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thermal paste application is always a fun little topic :p

I used to spread the paste smoothly and there was never an issue with that. But I found a good source with many pictures:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

The outcome is that the cross gives the best result. The differences are tiny, though. Still, good to now that the best technique is also the easiest one to apply. Spreading the paste can be a pain - I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and it's very thick and you tend to tear holes in the layer when trying to smoothen it out.

But as others said, already, the amount of paste is crucial. given that both heatspreader and cooler are smooth, I suggest to aim for an 80 µm layer of paste. I suggest to get the dosage right with an insuline syringe - you can get a pack of 10 very, very cheap in the pharmacy.

The formula for a rectangular contact area is:

V(paste)[l] =w[m]*l[m]*h[m]*1000

Example for an 80 µm layer on a 4 cm square cooling patch:

V(paste)[l]=0.04 m*0.04 m*0.00008 m*1000 = 0,000128 l

Now since you want the value in ml, multiply it by 1000 once more:

0.000128 l = 0.128 ml

20. fabT

fabT Alien

Well i have a NH-D15s (notice S at the end).
    https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

It fits my case, which is a MINI ATX as i said.
    Then plenty of alternatives ( e.g. CoolerMaster, any other Noctua compatible model ).
    Matter of preference, i can only share my experience.

I checked my old cooler and it was a Arctic Freezer 13 as well, i can confirm it didn't perform well with the i5 8600.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    LeDude83 likes this.