1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CPU temperature

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by renato63, May 13, 2019.

1. renato63

renato63 Racer

This evening I wanted to do a CPU stress test.
    These are the results after 20 minutes with Prime95:

upload_2019-5-14_20-44-37.png

After the test the minimum temperatures fell to around 30 degrees so I think the heatsink I have is not so bad.
    I do not know what to think... :confused:

2. fabT

fabT Alien

It's normal have the temperatures settling after the stress test.

Yet i think 80-83 °C is very hot. 20 °C higher than mine.
    There's a chance your CPU is going to throttle.

3. renato63

renato63 Racer

There are two weeks to ACC v 1.0 and now I'm waiting for the exit to see if they managed to optimize it and then I decide what to do, thanks again for the help ;)

4. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

It's hot but I wouldn't call it very hot. Remember also that this is at the end of a stress test which deliberately pushes all of the cores to the maximum - playing a game is unlikely to cause these temperatures. The CPU shouldn't start to throttle until it gets close to about 100 degrees C. Whilst running hot will not have any immediate effect on the CPU, it will ultimately shorten its life (but that will still probably be longer than you'd keep it, anyway). That said, I'd still recommend getting a decent cooler and running at the lowest temperature you can.

luxxx797 and After_Midnight like this.
  5. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Running a Noctua NH-D 15S on top of an i7 8700k, temps up to 80° are what I expect in ACC.

A thing that many people may overlook is that it is not just the CPU cooler havng an effect, but ambient temnperature and especially the temp inside the tower of the PC. If the airflow is not optimal or there are not sufficient additonal ventilators that put cool air in and warm air out, then you get a higher temp on your cpu as well since the air used for cooling already is "pre-warmed".

Clean up any cable mess there might be in your PC. Check that cards and ventilators form a nice and unobstructed airstream inside the tower. I assume you use dust filters, if not, do so. You then should not have any significant amount of dust forming up inside the tower, which then is a sign that additional to the effect of the filters your rear vent pushes less air out than your front vents suck in: that is good, it leads to air overpressure inside. If you have a lot of dust in the tower while using filters, it means that more air gets pushed out by the rear vent than the frontal vent(s) can push in, the tower than sucks in dust. Dust can block coolers and help raising temp by covering surface of components. Declare war on dust.

In general, while 80° is not optimal, it still is clearly out of the tehcnical danger zone. The alert bells for thse type of CPUs ring at near 100°, I think. So do what can be done, but dont panic. My own tower setup is very clean inside, but with two frontal and one rear vent I am probbaly underequipped while the CPU cooler is very good. On very hot summer days this can become a minor concern, butn usually I stayat temps not higher than 70° at load. ACC is an exception, it is a CPU killer, I noticed. No other title I run puts so much stress on the system, CPU and GPU as well. Running VR here. 80° will not break your system all of a sudden, but can maybe shorten the longevity of the CPU. But what does that mean? I know, since 30 years, nobody who ever suffered from a molten CPU. Its possible that it happens, and from reaidng I know that it does happen to some people. But not in numbers that I am seriously concerned. Mix pragmatism with relaxation.

I would however recommend to not overclock your CPU with your current system setup.

After_Midnight likes this.
  6. renato63

renato63 Racer

When last week I changed MB, CPU and RAM in the case there was almost no dust after 5 years since I assembled the last PC in 2014.
    I am always very careful about the ventilation of the case and the formation of dust.
    As far as current temperatures are concerned, I do not worry at all, I think that the I5-4690S and Intel's stock fan with the heaviest games reached peaks of 78-79 degrees and in 5 years I never had any problems.
    I can tell you something else, I have a device to measure consumption in watts and today's PCs consume much less than in the past.
    The I5-8600 (with GTX 1070 video card) in IDLE consumes about 40 watts (monitor excluded) while during a replay of ACC it consumes about 140 watts.
    I remember that in the 2010s when I had an Intel E8400 (with ATI HD6850 video card) the temperature in IDLE was around 100 watts and in the game came to around 230 watts.
    I started playing with this game by the legendary Geoff Crammond:
    upload_2019-5-17_18-30-48.png
    If you want I can tell you the history of video games and PCs since 1988 but this is now prehistory :p

fabT likes this.
  7. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

You want a cooler CPU awesome
    Spend the money on a decent cooler. Go Liquid if you can and or take a look at Coolmaster Hypercool 212 EVO
    Be mindful on your Csse depth on that one. Been using these for a long time, temps are in and about the same as mid liquid costs.

8. fabT

fabT Alien

If you look back at my previous test, you'll see that NH-D 15S coupled with a i5 8600k does not exceed 65 °C even after a 30 minutes Prime95 test done on the most aggressive settings.
    This with a cheap Mini ATX temporary case ( 19 x 42 x 42 cm ) and having the CPU sitting a couple inches off a GTX 1080.

Some pretty confined, messy, dusty and warm place ( see attachment ;) ).
    Yet it stays cool somewhat.

Whenever i run ACC it runs much cooler.
    Last time i checked highest temperature after 2 hours of ACC driving was 59 °C.
    That's with 20-22 °C ambient temp.

On normal usage, just while i type, CPU mac core temps at 4,2 GHz are within 29-39 °C / 22 °C ambient temperature.

I highly doubt that coupled with a 8700k temps would be massively higher ...

Attached Files:

• case.jpg
      case.jpg
      File size:
      290.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
  9. alex bonner

alex bonner Racer

A de-lid and a H100i cooler will help you massively. You got 50% more cores now.

10. Ofc a de-lid will help to bring the temps down (using liquid metal) but it will not increase the amount of cores o_O

11. Fernandito

Fernandito Racer

lol if you say so

12. Oh Mr. Knowledge is back. Thanks for your very helpful post.

13. junneh

junneh Gamer

some smaller decent performing air coolers:

Hyper 212 Black (better then old evo)
    Freezer 34 Esports duo (best out of the box for around 30,- mark)(cant get this everywhere)

If u need smaller cus the case is not wide, look at downdraft coolers (ie scythe grand kama cross or choten)

Bigger, but not as expensive as noctua, with maybe 1-2 degree less cooling, but half the price;
    Scythe mugen 5
    Scythe Fuma rev 2/b

U have to keep in mind the GPU is also loaded in ACC and will throw hot air in the case... which then cycles into the cpu cooler aswell.

Your case is also very old and doesnt really provide decent airflow it seems. This is not really a massive problem, aslong as the hot air gets out somewhere (more important then fresh air coming in, if you have a limited space for fans in the case, but a balance of in-out will be best for dust in the long run)

Aios are good too, but most pumps will fail in the 3-6 years range (happened twice for me sadly) and pump noise is annoying on an idle system (imo, asetek gen6 its ok but still not complete silent) a heatsink cant break and can be silent in idle.

If u dont want to spend money/ hassle with installation etc... look at undervolting the cpu, Auto voltages are never the best (always high-ish, but depends on your personal chip binning obv)

After_Midnight likes this.
  14. Today I've done the delid of my i7-4790k by using a combination of the vise method and a razor blade. And alot of fear :eek:
    As already known Intel used a really bad TIM at this CPU. I've replaced it with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal and re-seal it with heat resistant silicone. To be safe I've protected all the SMD's close to the DIE with a layer Artic Cooling MX4.
    Also replaced my very old Artic Cooling Freezer 7 with a new Freezer 13.

Here are the results by using AIDA 64 stability test:
    before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

I'm very happy with the result :)

LeDude83 likes this.
  15. f.e.negroni

f.e.negroni Racer

Well done. I would probably Delid mine too (i5-8600) if I pushed past 4.9 but so far with an arctic 33 plus I am comfortably under 80 at max load. Running at 4.5 barely pushes past 60 at max load, 45 while playing ACC.
    I think delid is more useful if you want to push AVX performance past threshold.
    But kudos to you nonetheless.

16. Thanks mate :)

I've had not even think about a Delid if the temps would be like yours. But even stable undervolted my CPU @4.4GHz was going up to 95°C while benchmarking and 75°C while gaming with the Intel TIM made of wood.
    Using the auto-overclock/voltage-settings of the mainboard ended up in thermal throttling (> 100°C ) while benchmarking.
    Beside the temps the fan of the CPU cooler was blowing for his life and the noise was annoying too.

With the Delid and liquid metal the temps are back to normal. It might expand the lifespan of the CPU. But it also keep my system much more silent.

Greets After_Midnight