1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Which Wheel do you have?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Ozelot S, May 12, 2019.

?

Which current Wheel do you have?

1. Direct Drive

42 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. Belt Drive

134 vote(s)
    55.1%
  3. Gear Drive

67 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

One major improvement is the same as the addition of several little improvements.
    Then the biggest ones should come from the pedals, not really from a DD wheel.

2. Forgot to add, I bought it for $100 CAD off a friend.

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I agree that better pedals (brake) make a big difference in lap-times. The big difference with wheels tends to be more about immersion (for me, worth every penny).:)

4. I think it all depends on who is driving. I watched Jimmy Broadbent with his direct drive wheel and load cell pedals go up against Super GT with his xbox controller, and although Jimmy edged him out it was not by very much a tenth or two. Fanatec sent Super GT a wheel with all the trimmings, it will be interesting to see how he does with that over time.

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I suspect someone going from being quick with a gamepad will take a bit of time to get to the same pace with a wheel. In the end they will be a bit faster but its a pretty big change, basic higher range of motion in a wheel setup vs gamepad is clearly and advantage.

It will depend on the sim and car more so a gt3 car with some built in electronics and possibly some steer assist built into gamepad control gives them more chance.

If they were to drive an old school car in AC with no assists, manual shifting with no auto clutch or auto blip they would pretty much have no hope on a pad.

Also the immersion from using a wheel vs pad is a pretty big thing even base model ffb wheels vs a pad is a huge upgrade in that area. Being very quick on a pad however is a proper skill and would take some time to perfect, I know I would really suck with it.

In terms of performance there is no real advantage or strength over a wheel, but obviously cost and space requirements are a huge point of difference. Many sim racers will start with pads but once they get their first wheel they are often hooked for life. :D

6. FelixR1991

FelixR1991 Simracer

I'm still rocking the Formula Force GP. I really want to upgrade but the quality of this wheel is so good I can't stand to put it away.

7. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Another AF2 user here, love it.

martcerv likes this.
  8. Phoenixcat

Phoenixcat Gamer

Just went from a Thrustmaster TMX to Fanatec DD1 with csl elite pedals. Much better force feedback and strength.
    I am no faster with DD1 than I was with the TMX-proof that it doesn’t matter what gear you have.

9. Skaven Zverov

Skaven Zverov Simracer

I have old Logitech Formula Force Ex, which doesn't have working flappy pedals and doesn't go straight :D Still getting nice times, but hopefully soon will buy proper wheel :)

10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

It does matter what gear you have, just not that decisive with wheels.
    Much more on pedals though.
    At least you’re an alien. Those can run WRs on a Logitech Driving Force Pro...
    :p:)

11. MobyDuck

MobyDuck Gamer

I got a question to you guys running a CSL Elite or a wheel with a compareable torque and also a load cell brake pedal.

I am racing with a normal gaming chair (DXRacer) were I blocked the chair wheels to keep it fixed while using wheel and pedals.
    I currently use a G27 with a stiffer brake pedal spring.
    I have plans to upgrade to the Fanatec CSL Elite/PS4 with the load cell pedals later this year.

Now I am not sure if I could use the new wheel and pedals at my desk with the gaming char.
    Could the bigger torque of the wheel and the bigger force needed for the load cell pedal become a problem?

Unfortunately I am using my computer also for work and other games and beside that I do not have enough space for a fixed racing rig.

Is there someone using this kind of wheels mounted on the desk with success?

12. semil

semil Rookie

It's not the best option but it's still possible.
    I used csw2.5 with csl load cell pedals on desk (which is far to stiff) and weak chair with wheels. Actually, now the same weak chair is just settled to my rig, but in the past I just blocked chair wheel via a small cushion.
    Pedals leant on the wall and forces on wheelbase and loadcell were decreased a bit.

13. Turk

Turk Alien

It probably will become a problem. Before I had my rig I would push an armchair up to my PC table and put bits of yoga mats under the feet to get it to stick more. I had the pedals up against the wall. It would work fine but at some stage I'd push too hard and the chair would move, usually to one side and it would basically be like a mechanical failure as far as my race was concerned. Sometimes I'd push the chair away from the table and the wheel would come with me. I was also getting all kinds of shoulder pains as over the course of a race the chair might start slowly rotation leaving me sitting at an awkward angle.

I bought a rig (GTomega) and it's improved things no end. I am finding the limits of this set up though, there are loads of vibrations going through the rig (which isn't too bad, feels like a bit of a motion rig) and where it joins in the middle needs to be monitored because I'm pushing it apart by braking too hard. So I'll avoid anything that separates the wheels from the pedals in the future, although I do put my rig into storage when I'm not using it so being able to break it down is essential at the moment.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  14. MobyDuck

MobyDuck Gamer

Thanks guys!
    The Clubsport 2.5 is even stronger than the Elite base as far as I know. And I always have the option to reduce the force a bit.
    But a fixed racing rig would be of course a big improvement. :rolleyes:
    But then I would need more space, a second PC and monitor. :(
    Or get used to do everything else as well from the fixed rig. :D

15. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I've got a wheelstand pro. Kind of in the middle of having a fixed rig and racing on a desk :p
    Fairly cheap, compared to an actual rig.

16. Turk

Turk Alien

I don't think there's a huge difference in force between the two, for the most part I think the extra cost of the clubsport is the housing being all metal. I bought it for that reason.

17. regis902

regis902 Rookie

I use a thrustmaster T150. Seems to be fine, and it was a huge upgrade from my old driving force pro, however I can never escape the feeling that I could use an upgrade for some non-specific reason :)

18. deadmeat2k

deadmeat2k Racer

I have a rather hopeless setup with my new Clubsport 2.5 base and v3 pedals. The base is fixed to my IKEA elevation desk and at full force the whole table is vibrating violently. Luckily my weak geek arms do not tolerate the full power of the force (wink wink), so with my preferred FFB level it actually works.

The pedal setup is even worse. I have a rolling office chair which I put on top of a round carpet, that has a slightly larger diameter than the chair wheels circumference. This works - mostly anyway. The real messy part is the pedals. Even with the default break force (i.e. no break mod) I have had to improvise a bucket with 15 kg of sand (I kid you not) behind them to avoid sliding.

Just standing on the floor, during hard breaking the pedal fixture can sometimes lift at the front side, which is of course disaster. So I have developed a technique where I press my speeder foot heel down to the fixure plate during breaking. This also works - mostly.

Bottom line: I can live with this setup for now, but in time I will surely end up with a rig of sorts. I am considering if this wheel+pedal stand can fix the issue. It is compact and can possibly fit under my desk since it can be elevated. Perhaps it is compact enough for your needs as well?

PS: to everyone, please don't mock my ridiculous setup :rolleyes:;)

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  19. boxster233

boxster233 Rookie

30NM DD with Simucube and Sincost. Customer Ferrari 488 GT3 wheel made my OpenSimRacing.

20. fabT

fabT Alien

Thrustmaster T300 + Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals LC.

Coming from a G27 i'd say the T300 belt driven wheel is as sturdy, yet much more comfortable ( no rattling and less noisy, except for those fans ... ).
    Pedals are simply better, while the G27 ones were just ... ok in comparison.

Performance-wise for nothing changed for me after the change from Logitech to Thrustmaster/Fanatec.
    I needed some time to get used to LC pedals though.