1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Beginner guide to Assetto Corsa Competizione?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Silversurfer, May 9, 2019.

1. Btw, i found ideal line in current state a little disorienting. I wish it to be flat fing on the ground, not flying

2. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

Thanks Coanda! I'll keep that in mind. I realized while watching this youtube series called introduction to driving and it made me realize I still have a lot to learn, the main one being braking and trail braking(this is the 1st time I'm hearing about this). But that made me realize why I miss the apex most of the time.

Will do that, haven't had the time, 1 more week of chaos at work before my life gets back to normal and I play ACC again. The replays don't have an option to show both cockpit and virtual view I assume, so I need to figure out how to comp together those 2 videos together.

This youtube series was something I found useful especially if you're a beginner and wondering why isn't the car doing what I want it to do. For those (like me), unless you're talented, this takes a lot of time and practice to get really good at it. I honestly thought I could master this in a couple of weeks, boy was I dreaming

Turk, PSIRUS, Arlo and 2 others like this.
  3. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

Using geforce shadow play was the easiest I way I found of just recording your lap can upload straight to YouTube from it too

4. Turk

Turk Alien

Yeah, it really is more like learning a skill than playing a game. That's why I push sim racing into the hobby category rather than the game category.

Silversurfer and Arlo like this.
  5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

I put AC in the hobby category- I put ACC in the mental and physical fitness category.

6. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

I totally agree, this is definitely a skill game. After watching some of the videos, I now understand a bit more on how to drive on the track a lot better. I'm not breaking the 2 mins by any means, but I am getting a lot more consistent laps around the track. Forgot to record a video but I just played for about 20 mins, but those 20 mins were a lot more consistent albeit a bit slower laps, around 2:07. I'm actually not concerned about hitting the 2min mark or getting faster, right now just concentrating on how to drive the car, what works, what doesn't. I'm kinda glad I haven't had enough time to play the game and spent a lot more time watching youtube and gathering knowledge, I think I would have been a lot more frustrated with the game otherwise.

7. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

Glad to hear things are working out @Silversurfer consistent mistake free laps are more important than speed in my eyes, speed will be a result of being consistent.

Silversurfer likes this.
  8. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

It's been a while since I've posted and that's mainly coz I was busy at work and didn't get a second to play ACC. I finally got some time today to see if I forgot everything I learned, and thankfully I haven't. I am a bit rusty for sure, took me a couple of laps to remember my braking points and also how to brake properly. On a side note, I don't have a racing wheel stand and I'm using an office chair and some point when I last raced, I realized that since my chair has wheels that I can't lock, my braking wasn't strong coz when I would press down hard on the brakes, my chair would move back. I got some chair glides so when I'm racing I switch to that and my braking has been better. I plan to eventually get a racing wheel stand eventually, but till then this works wonders. I've put up 2 videos, 1 from the cockpit view and the other 3 consecutive laps where I managed to keep my times consistent, around the 2:05 mark and stay on the track. I have made obvious mistakes, but I feel I will slowly improve on it.

9. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

Like I said before I'm not the best qualified to give advice, but I feel your not down shifting enough on some corners T1 try going to 1st gear as you come back down the hill for T3 try 1st then shifting to 2nd between the hairpin back to the right but I don't drive the Nissan so they might be optimum for that car. I think maybe page 3 @Nesja has a very decent lap recorded try watching that. You can carry more speed into some corners than you are too.

Keep at it you will be under 2 mins in no time

10. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

Ah sugar wrong thread haha the laps I'm talking about are in the car control thread

11. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

That's a vid of a high 1:56 sloppy in places but quite close to what my current race pace is. Its in hotlap mode so will be quick due to less fuel but I now generally qualify in the 55s albeit in the BMW.

I'd suggest turning on the CC rating in the Hud settings under practice rating info. It will give visual cues in each turn on how you performed. Blue you was too slow, green was good and yellow or red you was too aggressive.

I started with a CC rating of around 72 when I first posted a vid in the forum when doing 2:01 laps, it's now at 86, 88 being the highest and my quickest time in qualy was a 54.8

Is this the 2015 or 2018 Nissan?

12. Nesja

Nesja Racer

You're being overly cautious and are taking corners in too high gears.
    Be a lot more aggressive with the car to start finding out what the car can do and how much grip it really offers.

Put shoes on two of your chair's wheels.
    I also race with a desk chair that can't lock wheels. Putting a shoe on two of the wheels will prevent it from slipping under braking.

PSIRUS likes this.
  13. mrbillb

mrbillb Rookie

Sometimes it is difficult to put into words what you are doing wrong as one lap of a circuit contains many many inputs. Check out this video, it shows the you correct way to drive nurb.

If you achieve 60% of his instructions, you will easily break the 2 min barrier.

14. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

Yeah, I probably am, my focus was more on being consistent and not going off the track. I'm going push myself a bit each lap, try and figure out how I can improve my time, trying not to rush it and get it all wrong at the same time :D

It's the 2018 Nissan. I didn't know about the CC rating, I thought it would just update when I do a good lap. Thanks for that!

Yeah I was, I haven't played ACC in a while, and I'm a complete beginner, so my focus was more on being consistent and not going off the track than being fast. I'm going to push myself to go be a bit more aggressive each lap so I know where I can improve. The shoe's a good idea, should have thought of that before I got the gliders

I totally understand, I feel areas that I've done well, I later find out I can do better. I'm sure it'll eventually come to me, I'm just glad I can drive consistently at the moment. A week ago I could do a decent lap, but the laps before or after were haywire with me spinning off the track. Thanks for the link, will check it out and take some tips from there!

15. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

Thanks for the video on what line to drive on, I managed to improve my time and hit a 2:03.300. I was a bit more aggressive but tried to keep it a controlled aggression. I did miss a few apex and certain corners I felt I should have pushed a bit more, but I'm sure I'll get there. I mean I went from a 2:05 something to 2:03.300, that's a 2 second improvement. Can't wait to get better.

This is the video of that lap. I hope the cockpit video is perfectly synced, was hard to figure out where the videos line up. Is there a way to show the brake and throttle input in the replay? If not I'll try recording my lap as I'm driving, still new to the whole recording gameplay thing.

mrbillb likes this.
  16. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

I'm sorry to join late, and I didn't fully read up the current state. What is very good is that your only problem is being too slow :D That makes the way to become fast the most easy one. Keep it up, it'll serve you well.

Actually I'm amazed about the laptimes and where you lose the pace, as the driving doesn't really offer obviously bad points. So my guess is that you mostly have to find good corner speeds, and somehow get a relationship to the car and the "dance".
    One question, how relaxed are you when doing corners? Do you hold your breath? How strong is your grip on the wheel?

Then two shots into the blue:
    a) Leave Nurburgring, it's a tricky track. Both Zolder and Monza are a bit better, especially when it comes to focusing on exits (and the corresponding rewards)
    b) speaking of exits: the next several seconds (in laptime) may lay in a bit more pace-focused mindset, but don't lose your controlled approach please. Maybe this helps you:

And yeah, the CC rating is your friend here. Keep the sector colors blue-green'ish, and slowly get rid of the blue colors

Madsen, Mai_88, D.Jankovic and 2 others like this.
  17. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

Just watching that lap quickly you lose a lot of time at T7, 8, 12 and 16 you can carry more speed through these turns. There's a track map at the top of this page to help with the turn numbers.

What colour are the CC rating squares when you have been through these turns.

Well done on the 2 second improvement and you have the right attitude so I have no doubt you will further improve.

It might be a bit counterintuitive to what you are wanting to achieve, as earlier you have said you wanted to put laps in without going off track, but one of the things with sim racing is we can crash 100s of 1000s worth of car into a barrier and turn around and drive off, if you memory is like mine pick one corner at a time and brake later carry more speed in on that turn lap after lap and when you overdo it and go off track go back to the last brake point you didn't leave the track and that's where your limit is, then move onto another turn

18. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Can really vouch for this. I've been focusing on CC a lot recently and my rating has jumped from mid-60's to mid-80's. At the same time, my Monza lap-times have come down by about 3 seconds. No coincidence I'm sure!

Silversurfer likes this.
  19. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

Can also vouch went from 72 to 87-9 and lap times at nurb came down 5 seconds

Silversurfer likes this.
  20. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

question for you two then - what did CC teach you, going faster or slower?