1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Beginner guide to Assetto Corsa Competizione?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Silversurfer, May 9, 2019.

1. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

Trying to give an answer with out getting confused with the direct correlation of better CC and faster track times.

I think it taught me to be smoother.

But I'm trying to think what colour the turns were majority of the time, sorry not much of an answer. It just helped lol

Although I don't think I was working on CC directly it just went up from the advice yourself and others gave me in the CC thread

2. eRacer212

eRacer212 Racer

Yes, because you are finding the proper racing line. Is frustrating for a driver to explain things to another driver. I'm training a friend (who turns out to be a natural alien in F1 game), and I'm too struggling to explain with words. Everyone here is making good points, but they are too advanced points (forget about trailbreaking for at least the next 1000 miles of racing). I will try to keep it simple.

What you are missing here is the Racing Line. The line is your bread and butter, if this were a business it would be your cash flow. You are following a geometrical line in most of the corners instead of a racing line.

The Racing Line is one of the first things real drivers learn, but for some unknown reason is one of the last things we (eDrivers) learn and master. In your 2:03.300 lap you turned the wheel late (geometrically speaking) in almost every corner, and that is great for racing because the geometrical lane is good to preserve tires, but not for momentun/speed. This guy explains it better than me. When you see the video remember that the purple line is the one that you take more often, and the green one is the one that you should be taking. Click here
    a1.png

the purple line is the one if you want to preserve tires (generally speaking), the green one is more aggressive and definitely faster (generally speaking)(in rain all lines change)
    a2.png

Scott Mansell explains it even better (more technically perhaps) click here
    a3.png

Racing is so complex and so rich that if you sit 100 drivers in a room you will get 100 different opinions about your laps and how to improve them. Personally, I think the racing line is a priority for a new driver (I think racing is a game of lines... I know I'm weird, please don't judge me:rolleyes:). The racing line is like Matrix for Neo:cool:, no matter how much I explain it to you, you have to see it by yourself. And when you see it, when you finally see all the lines, is going to be like a complete new world for you.

Take all this with a pinch of salt, I'm simplifying things a lot. In my experience as educator, easy and simple is better than technical and complex. You will reach a level in which you will be able to read Motec telemetry, but you are thousands of miles away of that. Focus in your racing line, is your bread and butter. But try to be consistent, a good lap is nothing if the other 20 are bad. Consistency and Resiliance are PARAMOUNT.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    chksix, Silversurfer and PiretSS2000 like this.
  3. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Generally faster, but not quite as simple as that.

I was really getting beaten up by the CC constantly telling me I was 'very slow' even though I felt I was on the limit in most corners. First I realised that I could carry much more speed out of corners with a much more controlled entry/mid and really focusing on car placement and line. That started to creep the rating up, but was still 'slow' through many corners. Then by focusing on the correct braking points, and most importantly turn in, for entry I was able to carry more speed through mid-corner and bingo. This means my exit had improved again. Now my CC feedback is overwhelmingly positive.

I'm now much faster, and much less on the edge of my seat through many corners (lesmo 2 is a very good example of this). I feel much more in control, even though I'm faster than before.

I must congratulate you on this. On paper, a full GT3 series sim is my ideal game, but I'm finding that the best thing about this sim for me is the rating system. It's transformative. Really making me a demonstrably better driver.

4. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Thanks. Sadly this trickles down extremely slowly, and the most users (that actually could need a hand) do not value the Ratings yet - while the good guys (up to alien levels) see especially CN and CC as quite good.
    For example a snip from a negative Steam review yesterday (yes we read them all):
    Then there's a huge fraction of users who are only interested in the equivalents of ratings they already know, especially safey and performance.
    If you have any idea how we can improve the situation and spread the word, let me know. Or just do it.

chksix, Dookie, Madsen and 8 others like this.
  5. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

I think this guy really needs to be told how to drive a race car.

Otherwise, he would have gone past this messages very quickly :D

D.Jankovic likes this.
  6. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

A detailed accompanying online manual and/or clickable detailed info in game are some ideas - not sure what's in the pipeline already in this regard. I do think the system is intuitive enough that most who would play often (and maybe review less) would either appreciate the features or work out how to minimise any intrusion to their experience. Here again detailed instructions could be helpful.

7. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

I'd like to think that will be there next week or shortly after with maybe a few vid tutorials (something like but a lot shorter than @Minolin has provided on his YT if you haven't already go check them out they're great) I feel people would start to appreciate the rating system for the little gem that it is

Arlo likes this.
  8. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Hmmmm, I can't quite believe that people wouldn't be interested in using the feedback to improve their driving/ratings, but clearly I'm wrong.

It think the current implementation of 'unlocking' the next rating by reaching a certain level in the previous is good as it forces users to take a step-by-step approach and focus on one thing at a time for a while at least. Also, you need to improve your ratings to progress to silver, gold, etc. so there is a carrot there too...

I guess I'll just start spreading the word then! :D

9. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

Maybe not saying "TOO SLOW" but something more encouraging? Cause I know that I am slow and where, but a noob my feel like he is being insulting by being so slow

10. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Mh not really, he has any right to use ACC the way he likes it.
    I just think it what he likes may change if he had enough information of how well this stupid rating system could work out for him

True, need to think about it. Sadly the original text Makesuretomaximizethetimeonfullthrottleorbrakepedalsunlessyouarecoastingintothecorner,alsocheckforpedaldeadzones didn't fit

Tim Larsen, chksix, Dookie and 8 others like this.
  11. eRacer212

eRacer212 Racer

You are talking about educating people to drive better? I used to do that for a living, so I felt inclined to try it in GT Sport, but it was pointless, because the average driver is a 14 years old with a gamepad.
    One way would be to make a partnership with 2 or 3 top youtubers and encourage them to do what they do best, for instance Driver61 has the driving academy, Tidgney Racing has something similar and Unleashed Drivers is the best youtuber in ACC at the moment (if I'm not wrong).

The ACC blog is very good, @Aristotelis does a great job, but for instance his first post about tyres contains 1800 words.
    There is no way most people is going to read all this, but if you make videos people will watch them, will learn and will become better drivers. For every hour of video you may need about 3 or 4 hours of research, production and post-production... but you don't have to do it yourself.

You could create something like ACC ambasadors in youtube to work with you and spread the word.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  12. eRacer212

eRacer212 Racer

double post by mistake

13. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

THE **** XD

14. Deyu

Deyu Rookie

The CC colored-rating sure does help, indeed. But I also think it should be related somehow with pace. For example, on a track that I hate, Nurburgring, I barely manage 1.59 - 2.00. The bars are greenish, CC is 82, but in the end pace is still off.

@eRacer212 said above that the racing line is God. I'm only a pleb, but I disagree. The God of good racing is good braking. It doesn't help you if you know the ideal line if you brake to early or too late. That's what I'm struggling with at the moment. I can't seem to find the proper braking distances.

On another note, I think something else messed me up. I played a lot of F1, and I'm used to downshift like a mad man. It seems to me GT3 cars don't like, and won't let you do that. In real life on-board I've seen drivers braking hard, and then gradually shifting down. I mean, I don't know if I did it right on F1 games, but there you can slam your brakes and go through the gears instantly from 7 to 1. My reflex in ACC tells me to slam the brakes and immediately starting to downshift like I'm possessed or something. I don't think I've explained it properly (English is not my native language), but am I onto something or I'm talking out of my you know what. :)

eRacer212 likes this.
  15. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

I notice that when CC is active in the HUD that the coloured 'light' appears to be giving constant feedback, but the 'final judgement' text appears only after the corner has been assessed by the system. Is this a correct supposition?

Could the final text be more focused based on some more granular information from the light? i.e. break the corner down into entry, mid, exit to help identify where the CC rating is measuring the lowest point, or where it starts to go wrong?
    This may be more encouraging, and informative, than simply 'very slow'. It takes some self-directed analysis to understand why at the moment. I'm imagining:
    Entry: excellent
    Mid: too slow
    Exit: compromised
    Flashing up at the end of each corner.
    Or maybe a generalisation at the end of each session/lap that suggests 'you could improve lap-times by focusing on a better line when entering corners 1,5 & 7'

I suppose it's important to state that higher CC will directly lead to to lower lap-times (that is my experience in any case). I found it quite confusing to be scoring high consistency but significantly lower car control.
    For example, me:

'How can I be so consistent if I'm not able to 'control' the car???'
    'What was wrong with that corner? The car was under my control completely! There wasn't a hint of power oversteer or anything!'

Maybe it's a branding problem. The way I see it now, 'Car Control' is actually 'Giving The Car The Opportunity To Fulfill Its Potential'. That actually relies upon much more than just the control I have over the car, but also track knowledge, consistency etc.

For example, if I jumped onto a new track that I wasn't familiar with at all, I'd now expect my CC to drop because I'm not able to push the car in the corners, because they are unfamiliar to me - I see that now - but if I were a more arrogant and less patient and reflective man, I might think 'f**k you, why does this stupid system think I am now a worse driver'. Rage quit. Write a sh***y review.

Sorry, that was a bit of a train of conciseness.

semil likes this.
  16. Achokaracho

Achokaracho Racer

The Rating system is very good.
    I get better and better only by looking at the CC color after the corner.
    But, there is every time a but, when I'm looking at the color and the system tells me, quite slow, or slow, then I have, as an non alien, no clue, why I'm to slow.

I don't know if it's possible to split the system into the three important sectors of a corner.
    1. Corner entry
    2. Mid corner
    3. Corner exit.

When the system tells me after the corner,
    Entry slow, mid slow, exit good, then I think,
    Ok entry is to slow, but why?
    And the next lap I break a bit later in this corner.
    Now the system tells me,
    Entry to aggressive, mid to aggressive, exit good.
    Then I know, ok my breaking point the lap before was good, but I braked to long and didn't carry that much speed into the corner.
    This lap I braked to late and missed the apex.
    Next lap,I break at my normal braking point, and try to release the break a bit earlier.
    The system tells me.
    Entry good, mid good, exit good.
    Then I have learned that in breaking to long in this corner.
    Next lap same corner.
    I release the break a bit earlier then the lap before.
    System tells me, entry very good, mid very good, exit to aggressive, cause I slammed the gas pedal and got oversteer.
    Now I know I can release the break a bit earlier to get more speed into the corner, but on exit, don't slam the gas, take it a bit easier.
    So I can go from corner to corner to test it a bit more and more.
    I hope it's understandable what I mean, because English is not my native language.

XorRipRip, tjr, PiretSS2000 and 2 others like this.
  17. eRacer212

eRacer212 Racer

Make sense, modern F1 gearboxes have 8 gears and are super complex, designed to make your driving experience somehow easier.

I've not been able to find any specific about GT gearboxes. This one is about chevrolett racing gearboxes, is pretty good.

I tried to find some entertaining video about gearboxes but the only one I found is this, he (somehow) manages to explain all of them (despite being clearly drunk :D)

Deyu likes this.
  18. Deyu

Deyu Rookie

Pretty funny :))

Here's a video from Alex Buncombe in the GTR. Besides the awesome start, in this video I noticed he doesn't go through downshifts so quickly. I've tried to emulate that, but muscle memory is strong in this one. :p

19. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Serendipity, I was just now chatting with a driver that tested a GT3 car and was telling me how the car didn't like fast downshifts at all...

That said, modern ECUs and gearboxes work together, so the computer actively will not let you downshift if he recons that the gearshift will raise the RPMs too high and provoke damage on the engine. In F1 cars, the braking distances are way too short and so the speed goes down very fast and you can downshift very fast indeed. That or either the sim you've been using didn't simulate the downshift protection and so let you over rev the engine.

GT3 cars obviously have longer braking distances and so they need some time to bring speed down and need to downshift accordingly. ACC simulates the downshift protection so you need to brake... then downshift... then again.. then again... make it a rythm. Don't click on the buttons like crazy. But you already knew that.

20. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

Maybe the physics in F1 are a bit simplified compared to ACC. The gearbox priciples are the same as in the Driver61 video.
    I also notice in Forza or GTSport Videos, that some drivers start to downshift in the moment they are braking. This would normally push your engine over the rev limit, on which we can all agree is a bad idea.
    Additionally, downshifts unstable your car (try to shift near the apex of a corner and you have good chances to spin) or can lock your rear axle. A way to stabilize is to blip the throttle a little during shifting, which is done automatically in modern race cars.

Try to do the downshifts smoother, since they also help you getting a better rythm on the race track.

edit: @Aristotelis is faster on the keyboard :D