1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Beginner guide to Assetto Corsa Competizione?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Silversurfer, May 9, 2019.

1. Si.

Si. Simracer

Got it, I was being a bit slow :)

PiretSS2000 likes this.
  2. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

Wow, that's a lot of posts to catch up to!

To be honest I didn't pay attention to that, but I do think initially when I was driving, I was stiff and my grip was tight. Since then my grip hasn't been tight, but in corners I need to pay attention now. One step at a time :D. It's been fun learning new things each day!

How do I get the CC to show the colors? I got a rating of 52 or 54 but I can't find any settings anywhere to show me if I'm going slow or fast at the corners

I don't get the colors on CC anymore, it just shows me a number and I can't find any settings anywhere on how to change that.
    Yeah I know I lost time on some corners and could also push a little more on certain corners. I'm amazed at how changing the racing line a bit makes so much of a difference.

Oh yeah, I am watching Driver61's videos on youtube, I posted the link earlier as well when I came across it. It helped me keep the car on the track, made me realize the mistakes I was doing. When I did the 2:03.300 min lap, I realized how important that racing line is.

I'm super glad I'm getting better at this as days pass, I mean from barely being able to stay on the track to being consistent on the track to getting a better racing line, I think this game has made me appreciate the level of detail put into it and how much the tiniest of mistakes makes, just like in real life (not that I have raced in real life, but now when I watch races, this was something I didn't appreciate enough). Something I wasn't expecting was this game has overall improved my concentration quite a bit. I know when I lose concentration for a bit, or don't pay enough attention, I mess up and lose time.

3. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

HUD Options -> Rating Practice Focus (or similar :D )

D.Jankovic and Silversurfer like this.
  4. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

Ah thank you!! I completely missed that!

5. Nesja

Nesja Racer

Yes, your racing lines are good and not the problem, except for sometimes going too deep due to missing braking points, or not turning hard enough when at very low speeds.

Really the main thing you need to is push more and explore how much grip the car really has. You can take each corner at a much higher speed and can be much more aggressive on the throttle on all your exits.
    When you run wide or miss your braking point a bit you become super super cautious as well as if the car could spin at any time.
    Your gear selection can be better as well. You often find yourself in a too high gear in corners and exits. With these cars this just slows you down a lot.

6. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

@Minolin, last night I read the in-game description in the driver screen for CC and it's actually spot-on. More fool me for not reading it before now.

7. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

Yep, slowly doing that. Focusing on two corners per lap to see if I can go faster or slower.

The CC rating does help. My rating went up to 69 from 52. It showed me that at all corners but 1 I have to improve. Right now the colors are light blueish green. I just have to figure out the correct speeds when tackling corners, I tend to go in slow so now I'm gradually trying to figure out if I need to go in slower and come out faster or if my entry speed is good but I'm holding it for too long and can push a bit faster. It'll eventually click, just need to practice practice practice

8. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

Slowly but surely, now to 80!

Silversurfer likes this.
  9. Deyu

Deyu Rookie

Imho CC should also somehow also tie with pace (not the PC rating, but pace in general). For example, I have 83 CC, and I'm still off the pace. CC doesn't necessarily translate to how fast you are.

10. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

It does, aliens have 95 CC

Deyu likes this.
  11. Deyu

Deyu Rookie

Fair enough :)

PiretSS2000 likes this.
  12. Sascha H.

Sascha H. Gamer

Welcome @Silversurfer . I think the most important thing if you have not used any racing sims before, to get used to your equipment, meaning if you have a wheel with pedal shifters like the G27 from Logitech. Setup the controls right in the options and then choose a track that you know of a little. My real home track is the Nürburgring which is only 50 minutes away from my home so I tend to use this track always as a test track. You don´t need to change anything on the setups yet. It will make things worse. Just get out on track and never cross the straight white line on pit exit. It´s a NoGo :)

Then slowly get around the track, and get the track layout into your head. Learn how good the brakes are and what the car does under braking into a corner. Do it slow first. Not important to get laptime records yet. Lap after lap you get used to it and you get faster and faster automatically up to a point where you probably might throw away your car the first time. That´s when you went to far. Learn the braking points when getting faster and faster. The brakes are cold as well as the tires.

Just my few cents of so many other points to talk about :)

Good luck :)

Silversurfer and Deyu like this.
  13. mrbillb

mrbillb Rookie

Your entry speed is actually quite good but your mid corner and exit is generally poor. You tend to dither on the throttle instead of hooking up the apex and nailing your exit. Try to adopt the principle that, once you apply the throttle you should not have to come back off it. This is a pretty basic rule of thumb but once you've mastered it, you can find time elsewhere. Tldr slower is faster, especially in acc.

14. TDS

TDS Alien

They have CC 95 but not because they are fast, but because they are really smooth with inputs, virtually no over/understeer, and alien smooth steering wheel inputs.

The really fast guys will have PC (pace rating) from 90 to 99 tho.

15. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

If they are smooth with inputs, virtually no over/understeer, and alien smooth steering wheel inputs, they will have 95 CC, and also a good PC, but we where talking about CC. Your point is?

16. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Allow me to rephrase it. A bit simplified, laptime pace is a function of CC and race line (and a bit more). High CC alone doesn't tell anything, but a close-to-perfect laptime comes* with a high CC value.
    Back in Spa, Kamil almost beat Enzo with a 100 CC lap, but had two (tiny) line mistakes that each cost him 0.1s.

*Disclaimer: Atm, this depends a bit on the alien driving. We have guys like Enzo or Kamil who regularily run in 97-99 CC ranges, but others like Nobel or Phil who do very quick laps with a certain amount of overdrive which reduces their CC.
    That's a matter of finetuning in an incredibly small band, and tbh. the CC Rating is made for the other 99.8 % of drivers where it works fine, so I don't see priority on that.

tjr and nkohout like this.
  17. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

So today I experimented a bit with trying to get a faster lap time by watching the CC rating for each corner and trying to make it green. After multiple tries, I couldn't quite grasp where I was losing time even though I thought I was pushing the car to it's limits. In the end I found myself gripping the steering wheel hard and being rigid while taking the turns, (@Minolin, I forgot to pay attention to my breathing, but if I was fighting the wheel, I was probably holding my breath) . I took a breather, watched the guide lap videos some more to see what I was doing wrong. Went back in, hit the track again, this time keeping to the racing line but not being as aggressive and I found myself driving more calmer and a lot smoother and my lap times were as good as my aggressive laps, but with me taking a lot less effort. I started to push a little bit on the racing line now, but this time, taking care of how hard I brake, what gear I'm on and how I hold the throttle and how quickly I can get back on the power and I was getting better times fairly quickly. I eventually managed a 2:02:268 time, although an invalid lap time as at 1 point I landed going slightly off the track. But this made it crystal clear to me that it's not about driving hard and aggressive, but driving on the racing line and being smooth on it. I'm know it's been pointed out before, but I really wanted to see how much of a difference it makes.

18. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Sounds like real progress. Nice one.
    My own improvement recently could probably be boiled down to a two-step process:

1. Find the best position for the corner's transition so I can safely get back on the throttle as early as possible, then
    2. Find the sweet-spot in braking point and turn-in (the latter is really key for me) that will allow me to carry as much speed safely through the corner to that transition point.

Once this clicks, the corners become a lot less stressful, and a lot smoother! The CC HUD gives the perfect feedback to see if you're getting this right, so keep paying attention to that.

Silversurfer likes this.
  19. Si.

Si. Simracer

I just can’t get a Perfect CC rating for a corner at Monza, my best is Very Good whereas at Nurburgring I can get a Perfect rating for 2 or 3 corners regularly. It’s like a little mini-game :).

Silversurfer likes this.
  20. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

I came agonizingly close to breaking the 2 min mark, hitting a valid lap time of 2.00:066 . I switched to the BMW M6 GT3 coz I was struggling to go faster in the Nissan. I think I struggled to figure out what gear to be in, and how much throttle control I needed while taking turns, something I found easier to do in the BMW.

I couldn't throw the car into the corners as easily as I could with the BMW. I'll have to check and see if my pedals are too sensitive for the way I drive, so I'll have to see if I can tweak that settings and see if I can control the Nissan better.

This isn't the cleanest lap, I made a few mistakes coz I was still getting used to the car. I now understand though what throwing the car into the corners mean, boy was it fun :D