1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Beginner guide to Assetto Corsa Competizione?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Silversurfer, May 9, 2019.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Good, I see a decent car control and steering inputs, so from this point you won't have issues improving your laptime.
    Now the bad news. There are some big mistakes in lines and there is a pattern. In all the left/right (or vice versa) turn sequences, you try to follow as much an "ideal" line as possible, going way wide before the entry of the 2nd corner in the sequence. This makes you lose seconds, not tenths.

I'll be more specific.
    T1 line good. You could go on the gas a bit earlier. This is another pattern, you wait too much to go on the accelerator.

T1 going to T2. Very VERY bad line. You go way wide before turn in for the T2. This "ideally" might be what the theory says, but you have to think about the terrain camber (inclination). Going so wide at that point the terrain has opposite camber and the grip is lacking, so you force the car to go in again and you go off balance. You lose massive amounts of time there. You also travel for much more space than ideal, again losing time. Exit the T1 and at most stay in the middle of the road (if not even more close), before the entry of T2. Check some onboard videos online.

T3 okish (a bit compromised from the exit of T2). You could stay a bit closer to the apex.

T4 bad. You carry too much speed from T3 and you keep on the gas at the turn in... you realize you're going wide in the middle of T4 (that's good) and you have to lift right on the apex and until the exit. It's the opposite of "slow in, fast out" and again it costs you tons of time. Dab the brakes before T4, hit the apex well and accelerate at that point. Always have in your mind that when you go on the gas, you have to commit to it. If you go to the gas you need to be able to keep your foot down until the braking zone of the next turn. If you lift somewhere in the middle of the turn or at the exit, you're doing it wrong.

T5 quite good

T6 bad line out of T5 and into T6.
    Here is again the same error you did in T1->T2. You go way wide to enter T6. You need to actually stay extremely close to the right for T6. The road camber again helps you. Its counter intuitive but it works that way. Again see onboard sim or real videos.

T7 bad, you missed your braking point. Keep in mind that again T7 is another turn with massive amounts of camber that helps you if you stay close to the right hand of the road. Turn in a bit earlier and stay close to the inside kerb. It helps.

T8-T9 (schumacher esses) very good. Nothing to add at your level right now. Do it as you do, you won't gain much time here for now.

T10 a bit too late in braking. Again massive camber, go to the inside sooner, it will rotate the car and help you maintain the line.

T11 again the pattern of going really wide before turn in. After exiting T10, go to the left, but don't over do it. Stay somewhere between the left side of the middle of the road and then go into T11. It's a bit hard, there are no reference points. Mainly though, don't go so wide before entry.

Everything else is at a more than acceptable level for your skills. Just take care of the above and you'll be gaining not tenths but seconds, in no time.

2. david m

david m Racer

@Aristotelis
    you were a simulator player before started to work doing a simulator with Simulazioni kunos?
    All the respect for you for taking the time to explain all the details, tips and all this, without a doubt will be appreciated by the great part of the users here.

p.d.sorry for the offtopic

3. Aristotelis

I was very active player yes. I have some story let's say... :D :p

4. david m

david m Racer

:):)

5. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

thank you a lot for the explanation @Aristotelis - thats why i feel so comfortable in the kunos world. two days before release a dev takes the time and gives us this information. its not the first time i have to say this - i am so happy that is stumbled upon Assetto Corsa over two years ago. :):):)

6. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

Nice comments, I may need to consider some of them as well. Still some bits to go on the Nürburgring GP, even if it´s kind of my "home" track.

7. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Yeah. The kind of simracer that is able to quickly jump into a 750 hp AWD and drift it around the track... Because that's the very first thing to do in such a machine

But if you found that impressive, better not join him in a ride with the mighty Miata :D

Marceline, vanveen, Adastros and 9 others like this.
  8. Aristotelis

9. david m

david m Racer

10. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

WTF !! :D
    Yes it's impressive, we can feel it from here, with all these :
    "it's not a car it's a demon trying to kill me"
    "my poor neck"
    "my back hurts"
    "it's enough...rhaaa"

And of course, super driving skills @Aristotelis ...
    For now I'll take the advices on the Nurburgring, since I'm not very far better than @Silversurfer :)

D.Jankovic likes this.
  11. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

@Aristotelis Thank you for that feedback, it was incredibly helpful!! I never considered the road inclination as something I should factor in. I kept your points in mind, didn't nail them clean enough, but enough to improve by a whole second and hit a valid lap time of 1:58.965, my fastest lap yet! I see the mistakes I've done trying to go wide in areas that I don't need to. Thank you for taking the time to post the feedback, I highly appreciate it!

Whoa that is impressive!!

sissydriver likes this.
  12. Adastros

Adastros Racer

O.O

13. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

This is a much neater lap with a time of 1.58:881. I still made a few mistakes though, like T3 where I'm still accelerating a bit early and T4 where I didn't accelerate quick enough and T12 where I downshifted down to 1st gear when I didn't need to. But overall, I felt a lot better with the racing line. Some areas I know I could go a bit closer to the apex, I land up not braking enough or missing the brake point. I honestly didn't think I would break the 2 min mark so soon.

Have to point this out as well, my CC rating dropped to 56 from 69 when I was pushing the car hard. After driving more neater laps without pushing the car hard but driving better, my rating went up to 74. I don't remember my CN rating, but that is currently at 74 as well. I honestly was struggling to understand that CC rating and how it works, but it definitely works. I saw the difference, especially in sections where it would say I drove too slow and would wonder what I was doing wrong, and would curse

14. Default

Default Racer

Good improvement compared to your previous video. Next step is to try carrying more speed through the corners. What I notice is you're using too low gears in almost all the corners (well compared to me anyway). For example the only time I use 1st gear is at T1.

15. PSIRUS

PSIRUS Gamer

Congrats @Silversurfer glad to hear you've made a massive improvement

Silversurfer and mikendrix like this.
  16. mrbillb

mrbillb Rookie

Good lap! Stay away from first gear though (except for T1) Nice improvement m8. 1.56 is on the cards now, make it happen!

Silversurfer likes this.
  17. Silversurfer

Silversurfer Rookie

Yeah I need to figure out the throttle pedal sensitivity, I feel it's too sensitive right now so I can't control the throttle well enough. Think once I get a better setting I can go round the corners on higher gears. Eventually I will get better at it!

18. FW14

FW14 Rookie

As someone who is still learning too I would say that you have nothing to necessarily worry about. As the saying goes, ‘You can’t build Rome in a day’.
    You obviously don’t let an ego hinder your learning. Asking for advice from willing and experienced peers and then putting time in to apply that learning should only improve your skills. By and large this community and the developers are always keen to offer advice and support....something that you don’t always get with other sims. Good luck!

19. Join a community! A lot of them organize training sessions. There are a few in the league section of this forum. I suggest Redline Motorsport since I know they organized training sessions in the past.

FW14 and dek like this.
  20. Goes To 11

Goes To 11 Gamer

If you have access to GT Sport, there is a video of Lewis Hamilton doing laps around the Nurburgring in a Mercedes GT3 car. Obviously not completely transferable to ACC but still pretty cool to see how Hamilton approaches doing laps. It's hidden away under Brand Central, Europe, Lewis Hamilton.

edit:
    They are actually on YouTube. Short version:

Long version: