1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

MULTIPLAYER Multiplayer & Rating - 1.0

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Minolin, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Changed everything? My message was "no scheduled racing", and the context was the word "Matchmaking". CP doesn't change anything on my message.

But I see that the topic soon went its ways, and also tackled dimensions like "meaning" and long term motivation - but that wasn't my intention nor expectation. Still at this point I could see how bad expectations can get out of control, so I didn't feel motivated to add another thing that again raises expectations - and you probably know we don't really like to talk about features that aren't ready-to-go and finished yet - which simply wasn't the case until the past days.

Anyways, we're happy if this looks good to you, and this kind of organization gets a fair chance to be evaluated.

Yes, only one suggestion at a time. Tbh. we had to manage our forces and could only go one way, and given the last discussion it felt like we can go with the "forced" variant, which gives us full control about join decisions - which ofc. delivers best results, but also cuts your freedom and overview. It's also still compatible to a few of the options how this can evolve further, but nothing is set to stone. Moving the CP servers to the list is totally possible.

At least looking at our tests, the long formation lap makes this a lot less critical. Starts look quite good in comparison to the short formation.
    Yes we totally see the problem here, and revisiting this is on the list - still I cannot promise anything. Would be a lot easier for SP, but in MP you have to consider so many cases (never forget about the trolls), so it's a tougher problem to solve than it may look in the first place.

Yes ofc. points are distributed based on CP, technically "on the expectation to win". Compared to all the other Ratings, the CP math is ridiculously easy - it's simple result based ELO math.

Don't think so. I see why this is appealing, but I'd be surprised if the major isse wouldn't remain "driver count". Forcing people to race in teams both costs drivers due to the necessary organization effort - but the main problem is that running in teams cuts down the available drivers to 50% (Sprint) or even 25% (3 driver teams) - or even 12.5% (4 driver teams). If we end up in a situation where we have no problems to run only with 12.5% of our "capacity", I'll gladly reconsider my stance :D
    Until then I think serious leagues are the way to go for team oriented series.

Ya that would be cool. Need to see when we find time for that though.

In theory, there's a huge chance to get assigned to a server with your friends online when using Quickjoin. Improve the chances by letting the worst driver (by ratings) join first.
    But you can still use the old server list, you'll find servers with friends online within the top 5 for sure.

Atm, we only run overall rankings. I'm very interested in extending to multicategory, and even mix up CP servers - but to be honest that's only one thing on a very long list, and realistically I wouldn't bet on it.

Don't know yet. Let's see how EU and US use the servers, which future concepts we go for and how everything plays out.
    You are not forgotten of course, @martcerv is active and around here for so long that I'm not sure if Australia isn't getting a part of the EU soon.

Well to be fair I wouldn't recommend to start a team series immediately. It's a complicated feature that will need a bit of ironing (under real conditions)

Yes, 30 (or less if the track doesn't have 30 pitslots) is the current global limit. And it will most likely remain the limit for public and CP multiplayer; if we can do what is necessary to support more, it'd be only for private (=pw protected) sessions.

Yes.

That's a bit more complicated, I'll try to create a proper documentation for the Server Admin thread.
    In general, Spectators still cost server CPU and bandwidth, but linear (y = x), while cars have a exponential (y = x²) resource hunger. So they will be "slots", but e.g. do not care about available pit garages.

Yes I guess we will do this on some way, at least the TopX should be rewarded that way.

Oh no not again please :D

The idea behind CP servers is that they are special (and non-casual) - as the public MP already offers the other side of the coin.
    It's not meant to be the default game mode you go for, but when you have the time, preparation and mental capacity to do it. We always have to balance different views and preferences, but as we gave our best to protected the more casual and quickly paced public MP not to become less casual-friendly, we will do the same with the highly competitive equivalent.

And to be honest, 1h races are the *least* to really experience what ACC can do (personally I'd love to use 1.5 or 2 hours instead). Any kind of fast-forward in terms of weather, time acceleration (or stuff like fuel/tyre wear multipliers) is removing lots of the real sensation.
    Having a realtime stint with realistic weather, the tyre dynamics and all that stuff is the way to enjoy what ACC can do. Trust me.

If we're talking about public MP, yes that's a good point. I think I can insert a preference here.
    For CP servers, the FP phase is important to collect drivers.

I'm sorry to say that, but others keep telling me SA is too easy and they never drop below 99 (MP only drivers). At some point we have to draw the line, and I want CP servers as clean as possible.

Yes sure, that's the concept. Go back to the screenshot, you already see the example server is running 0-15, so once you're past 15 you cannot annihilate beginners anymore, and need to face real competitors :D
    How exactly the brackets look like is dependent on a) how quickly drivers build up CP and find "their" level and b) how the actual distribution is. We need to observe and adjust permanently

2. pazzi008

pazzi008 Racer

No words on the green bmw? Looks like a sorta livery editor is in the game :cool:

3. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

4. pazzi008

pazzi008 Racer

5. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Very interesting read Minolin.
    Some nice ideas there, the restricted number of slots for unrestricted servers will cause some admins some head scratching :).
    Nice, looking forwards too it.
    Thanks for your efforts.

Rolz likes this.
  6. Zanza21

Zanza21 Racer

@Minolin and the other kunos-boys, as a start, thanks for the time you invest to reply all our questions, i saw those were quite a lot and ended in a wot !

Kay, that doesn't really sound like wonderfull to me, those long races are the ones that should be choosen more carefully by the user, both for the fact they are longer and the fact they are Competitive.
    I mean, if i have to Drive for a couple hours the track where i'm gonna drive is even MORE important than it is for a quickrace....ya know 2 hours of Monza arent close to 2 hours of GreenHell...ah wait...right...no GreenHell :(:mad::(

But not a drama , as ya said, lets see how it goes and in case i can always come back whining as usual :p

Yeah my main concern is for CP races, since in the actual lite multiplayer QuickRaces people does not give a f**k if they lose a couple positions before the race really start or if the first two positions gets 100mt advantage already before the green light...If the race is a bit more competitive instead that could be a pretty big disaster.
    But i would address that problem as soon you are done making the GreenHell :D:D...yeah, i know...no GreenHell :oops::(:mad:

7. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

For example if we have a 1 hour "Competition" race, will it follow the sprint race rules with a mandatory pit stop (Tire change) inside a 20 minute pit window? @Minolin
    Also are we getting an API to support crew chief in 1.0?

8. tbhockeyboy

tbhockeyboy Gamer

? I mean I'm assuming it will be the same as it is in 0.7 since I haven't heard it mentioned. Not sure I understand what you mean.

9. Skaven Zverov

Skaven Zverov Simracer

Hmmm....still not sure that SA is that easy to get, but ok, for me it takes three completely clean races, 20 mins ones, to get 2 points, or even 1. So, basically, need 30 more completely clean races to get to 80+, since i am at 70ish now. Hopefully will get there! :D

Salvatore Amato likes this.
  10. Tiger Feet

Tiger Feet Racer

Wouldnt we all? :D (and I trust you) But im guessing your average punter isnt going to have this kind of time on a regular basis to populate the servers. Surely an 'optional' 30 min race, even if youre not getting the 'full' experience is better than no CP experience.

Cheers... and hoping :cool:

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Voodoo 2 and Rhylthusming like this.
  11. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Thank you for taking you time and answering out burning questions minolin :) can not wait for tomorrow... its gonna be great one.

anthony galmiche likes this.
  12. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

Same here, to gain sa points takes ages of clean races, while losing it just a pileup.

Maybe I should farm offline as many suggested, but I was proud of my 100% online multiplayer sa achievement

Guess having a high sa is easy for fastest guys out there, since they end up alone soon in the race with other equally fast and clean guys.

SA growth for mid/backmarkers is a lot harder since in the group there's 100000 more concitation, battle, touches, and you can more often end up being rammed by someone starting way behind you.

I think in some way sa works "against" the clean midfielders more than others.

Not sure there's any way to fix it in any case... It's something that happens in most motorsport too.

Voodoo 2 and Pekka like this.
  13. XettMan

XettMan Hardcore Simmer

Guys, SA is gained offline very easily:
    Do a 30 minute race against slow AI, drive all the time very very close to the leader, and see green SA counter every lap.
    Yesterday I collected 138 trusts and 8 OBWP. SA gain from 67 to 74.:D

CP races, I am coming.:p

Echo_29 and Skaven Zverov like this.
  14. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Simracer

You are missing the point. It's important to have variety, the feature should reach all your playerbase. The fact that you have to sit in a 20min FP1 just to save a spot in a race is already kinda weird and should be changed in my opinion. The whole thing already takes 1h30min. Shorter CP servers are important as it's another alternative. Incentive to run the longer events should be about rating, rewarding 150% more CP rating and having SA penalties reduced(longer sessions will have more contact, but they are racing incidents, most trolls or whatever will prefer shorter sessions).

I would say it's also important to have low SA servers with CP as well, you are limiting it way too much. This whole offline SA grind doesn't feel right.. When someone decides to play the "serious" MP, they should be able to, regardless of his rating. The only requirement for a new player should be 3 stars in that track. Then have CP servers with SA ranges, going from 0 ~30, 31~60, 61~90 and 91~100. Limit the number of players per bracket as well and now everyone can enjoy the feature without ruining it for those at high ratings.

15. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

Urgh this is exactly how it shouldn't work

FX2K and Skaven Zverov like this.
  16. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Simracer

People are treating SA as a gimmick because that's how the game is also treating it.

SA should be a multiplayer only rating where you earn it naturally, no need to rush because CP servers require higher SA. As I said before, the game should offer the CP experience to everyone, alienating the playerbase only create these weird behaviors in order to join them.

jc1993 and XettMan like this.
  17. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

Well, basically, @MakeMeLaugh was practicing safe racing ;)

Rolz likes this.
  18. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

Why not? SA is about being able to race close to other cars without contacts. Does it matter if the other cars are driven by humans or the AI?

Anyway, they already talked about tweaking how SA is improved against the AI.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A5010 mediante Tapatalk

PiretSS2000, LeDude83 and Winston like this.
  19. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Simracer

I don't get it.

20. not in my case

Skaven Zverov likes this.