1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PHYSICS ECU maps implementation

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Dufloth

Dufloth Racer

I’m so sorry, that’s no excuse. Have you ever created a program before?

It takes more time to create a post/pdf with all the explanations than to add plain text with a load link to a method.

2. Nox

Nox Racer

@Aristotelis I have asked this question before but did not get an answer.:)

Will the ECU maps be displayed graphically in the setup menu in the future, as ABS and TC?:cool:

l.g Nox

Neilski, tw1st and DarthJysky like this.
  3. Tristan Cliffe

Tristan Cliffe Simracer

Nothing on the scale as a PC racing simulator.
    Does it really? Adding the text, various translations, coding mouse overs, ensuring text is parsed and wrapped correctly - that's easier than copy pasting some notes to a forum?

Maybe I'm just less entitled.

4. Dufloth

Dufloth Racer

Not maybe.

If they were really using this excuse that many forum users have: “they are a small team”, then they would never have produced anything good.

5. Tristan Cliffe

Tristan Cliffe Simracer

Or they are a small team that can produce something good but the last little details like mouse over comments just take too long to be there from the beginning. Have you ever worked in a small business? One has to prioritise.

6. djshivas

djshivas Rookie

------------------------------------
    Porsche 991 GT3 R
    1-9 maps.

• 1 normal power&consumption least progressive throttle map
    • 2 normal power&consumption progressive throttle map
    • 3 normal power&consumption aggressive throttle map
    • 4 normal power&consumption linear throttle map
    • 5 Qual power, high consumption, least progressive throttle map
    • 6 Qual power, high consumption, progressive throttle map
    • 7 Qual power, high consumption, aggressive throttle map
    • 8 Qual power, high consumption, linear throttle map
    • 9 Low power, low consumption, progressive throttle map
    10 Pace Car very slow map and low consumption for Pace Car situations

Have fun[/QUOTE]

If the map 5 to 8 are for qualy session, why the wet setup use the map 8 by default?

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A3003 en utilisant Tapatalk

7. Baikal

Baikal Simracer

No wet modes for Lexus signed in 1st post. Is they present in car?

8. Chriss

Chriss Racer

I noticed the Mercedes AMG in Brands Hatch "Aggressive Preset" has ECU 2 map loaded instead of ECU map 1. What is the reason for that?

9. If the map 5 to 8 are for qualy session, why the wet setup use the map 8 by default?

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A3003 en utilisant Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

From my personal testing on brands hatch in both map 4 and 8 I reach 239 km/h on the back straight, so either I'm a complete noob and can't go faster around that track or the maps do nothing at all.
    Did 5 laps in both maps in the hotlap session and optimum track conditions, and my times were consistent and the same in both maps.

Maybe I just don't understand ECU maps at all, who knows.

sps_for_race likes this.
  10. Neilski

Neilski Alien

OK, that does sound pretty weird. Did you try the same in any other cars?

11. No not yet, haven't had much time to play this weekend, but I surely plan on testing the slow vs fast ECU map in more cars to find out if I'm just so slow that it won't make a difference.
    In the meantime I'll wait for others that might do the same, maybe someone else will get a different result.

Neilski likes this.
  12. Thx1137

Thx1137 Racer

From my personal testing on brands hatch in both map 4 and 8 I reach 239 km/h on the back straight, so either I'm a complete noob and can't go faster around that track or the maps do nothing at all.
    Did 5 laps in both maps in the hotlap session and optimum track conditions, and my times were consistent and the same in both maps.

Maybe I just don't understand ECU maps at all, who knows.[/QUOTE]
    I would have thought it pertained to acceleration, not top speed. What I wonder is, are the differences subtle so only detectable to near pros or should they be readily apparent.

13. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Well I think you're on the right track - I reckon it will have a bigger effect on acceleration than top speed. However, that would only be "easy" to see if you look at telemetry. The trivial thing that any driver can do though is to just check the max speed reached on a long straight, like Jonas did above.

Once aero forces dominate, the max speed should scale with the cube root of the power. I have no clue what the power difference is between the maps, but let's say 6% for the heck of it. If it's just done by a constant multiplier on the torque curve, it should produce 6% better acceleration at any given speed, and a 2% improvement in the max speed you'll reach on an infinite straight. On a non-infinite straight the peak speed should be a little more than 2% better.

Bottom line: even a 3% power (equivalent to 1% in top speed) improvement ought to be readily apparent on a long straight where the car reaches ~ 240 kph because the speed difference between the maps ought to be over 2 kph. So either the map change did nothing at all or it just isn't doing anything at the very top end (high revs, top gear).
    /me shrugs...

SimGuy_1 and Thx1137 like this.
  14. Thx1137

Thx1137 Racer

Nice explanation. Thanks!

15. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Keep in mind guys that 3% on 500bhp is around 15bhp. Teams would kill to get 15bhp out of a different ECU map with the high BoP restrictions they have :)
    The gain is much less.

16. So what is the most powerful setting for the porsche?

SimGuy_1 and sps_for_race like this.
  17. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Ahh OK cool. In that case, my driving is so inconsistent I wonder if I'll even be able to spot the difference in my lap times between maps :)

18. I would have thought it pertained to acceleration, not top speed. What I wonder is, are the differences subtle so only detectable to near pros or should they be readily apparent.[/QUOTE]

Faster acceleration should also equal higher topspeed until a certain point of course.
    I never claimed my testing was done the correct way, but I didn't notice any difference in time gained or acceleration in certain part of the track.

But maybe I'm just so average that I could probably post the same time even in the pace car map.
    Yes, I should try that.

I just found it weird and "annoying" at first that I didn't see any kind of improvement, but what I can take from that is I can probably improve in other areas of the game which will most likely give me far better laptimes.

19. Neilski

Neilski Alien

I just played around a bit with the Bentley (2018).
    Hotlap mode, Paul Ricard, safe setup.

In ECU mode 1, I reached 274 kph at the very end of the long straight.
    In mode 4, I reached 271 kph.

I don't think I reached the true max velocity in either case (the straight seems to rise a little at the end) but probably reasonably close.
    So from the ~1% difference in speed I'm gonna infer a ~ 3% difference in power. Seems inconsistent with the comment by @Aristotelis above though... :-S

(NB: when I tried the hotlap event at Silverstone, I was too inconsistent to really observe the full effect on lap time, but it was pretty clear to me that it was a little bit slower on mode 4.)

20. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Addendum: probably not apples vs. apples, relative to what Aris was talking about.
    @Jonas N Jensen - which car were you driving when you mentioned maps 4 and 8? It's not clear from the thread.
    But if you meant the 991, then 4 vs. 8 is normal vs. qual power. In the Bentley, 1 vs. 4 is "fastest" vs "slowest" of the dry maps...
    So probably reasonable that the Bentley comparison would show a bigger difference. I'll have a go with the same as you tried, once I know which car to try ;)

Aristotelis likes this.