1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Optimisation for less CPU usage!

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Stian Verherstraeten, Jun 4, 2019.

1. I have an intel i5-7300hq processor with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb. Normally the game should run quite well on the graphics card, but the problem is that it wants to use my CPU more than the GPU... Is there any fix to make the game run smoother? (I turned down all the settings to minimum and still only get about 35FPS and about 15 when I play with a full grid...)

Attached Files:

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality 1.1 will have VR optimisation? Oct 23, 2019
    Suggestions Weather optimisation - saving FPS May 10, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Problem with using Nvidia Geforce Experience for optimisation Nov 17, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Optimisation for amd lost in the crossfire? Oct 18, 2014
    Chit Chat Room GFX optimisation AMD 6950 HD Jan 24, 2014
    ACC Multiplayer CPU high in Server stats - my CPU or Server CPU? May 24, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Multi Cpu on Asseto Mar 2, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds CPU usage at 99% when playing Assetto Corsa Dec 30, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Flex Post sorry but it feels good. CPU upgrade. Dec 22, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Can I get more performance for ACC out of my CPU and RAM? Dec 11, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC somehow CPU Spike background task dependant? Nov 22, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions CPU upgrade advice Nov 10, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions CPU boost drops. Please help, Devs? Experts? Sep 8, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals CSL DD - Warning: CPU Usage > 99% Mar 20, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Can’t get the FPS up with Triples, CPU/GPU not being used to maximum Mar 20, 2022

3. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Laptop, yeah? Have you checked for thermal throttling?

4. Blackreverse

Blackreverse Rookie

No I haven't What exactly does it do?
    I'm on laptop indeed

5. Where do I find the crash log files please

Attached Files:

6. Strawberry

Strawberry Racer

The main settings that are affected by CPU performance are the number of opponents and to a lesser extent visible opponents. So you can run higher graphics settings if you want, but you probably can't play with a full grid if you want it to run smooth.

I run 13-16 opponents depending on track with an i7-4790k, for reference.

Tim Meuris and Coanda like this.
  7. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Plenty of laptops can't sustain full clock speed on their CPUs - they simply don't have the cooling capacity. So when the temperatures get to a certain point, the clock speeds drop to prevent the CPU (or indeed GPU) getting cooked and killed.
    Easiest way to tell, with stock Windows 10: run Resource Monitor and get yourself on the CPU tab. Then run the game and after a minute or two, alt-tab back to Resource Monitor. The top right panel will have a green line for CPU loading and a blue line for CPU clock speed. If the blue line is pegged to the top of the chart, all is well. If it's dropping away, you're probably throttling (or the CPU demand is low enough that it's just slowing the CPU cos it has nothing to do).

Pheebau likes this.
  8. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Did you post in the wrong thread by accident Jim? ;)

In any case, try looking in
    C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Crashes

9. I'll check that! Thanks :)
    Oh and if I'm indeed thermal throttling, is there anything I could do 'against' it?

10. zefacadas

zefacadas Rookie

My cpu was bottlenecking my GPU, i turned the mirrors off and now gpu is almost 100%, try turn them off too.

11. Probably but I've never known where to find these crash logs but thanks for the info.

Neilski likes this.
  12. I don't have app data in my users?

13. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties .

Neilski likes this.
  14. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Yeah, thanks. I tend to forget that I have Explorer set to show hidden stuff...
    Well, if your laptop is brand spanking new, probably not, cos it'll be running with the cooling as good as it gets**. But if it's not totally new, I'd consider blowing the dust out of it. I tend to do this by literally blowing really hard into the cooling intake (often underneath) and closing my eyes because there will probably be a huge cloud of dust. On several laptops I've "cleaned" this has made a big difference to the throttling. Do try not to spit into your laptop though ;) :D

** You can buy special laptop cooling bases with fans on them. Dunno if they help though.

Edit: if you are confident about taking your laptop apart, you can get it cleaner that way, but it's a lot more work...

15. I found it thanks.

16. Blackreverse

Blackreverse Rookie

thanks

17. Blackreverse

Blackreverse Rookie

I'll try that as well

18. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

They do! I had one with 2 fans which you could replace anywhere underneath the notebook to match the positions of CPU/GPU. The difference was ~10 degrees for both GPU and CPU. Since notebook GPUs/CPUs run up to 85/90 degrees, that actually helped quite a bit.

But before buying new stuff or taking the notebook apart for cleaning, I'd just try ACC after a cold start and jump into a session, immediately. Your GPU and CPU will then be "cold" and you can compare FPS - if they're also low, then thermal throttling isn't your problem. Makes sense, no?

Edit: something else: some performance notebooks (like mine) rely on using both the battery and the AC to provide enough power to GPU and CPU. When I play with my notebook on a weak battery (while plugged-in), the FPS go down, a lot!

Neilski likes this.
  19. RWa

RWa Simracer

I know it maybe a step back but did you try screen on 1600x900?

20. Kevorkyijan

Kevorkyijan Rookie

Yes you can .

for GPU temps
    you can go download
    Msi After burner frorm here:

https://it.msi.com/Landing/afterburner/nb

and set a very aggressive fan speed curve , if it doesnt work u need also need to change the thermal paste here too,unless is a laptopthen i would not even reccomend any of this .

for CPU
    you may need to ask ur self when u changed the thermnal paste of ur cpu last time .
    After u done it. check if the system is stable
    to do it
    Download AIDa 64
    https://www.aida64.it/scarica

the start a stress test for 10-15minutes

if you system lock up during the stress test , restart ur pc ,enter the bios and used default configuration for ur system .( no overclocking stuff )as it was when u bought it.

sometimes is just thermal paste getting solid

21. serugiran92

serugiran92 Rookie

Those numbers are far from normal. I got quite same specs on my pc but with the red team (Ryzen 5 1600 and Radeon RX580 8gb). I drive at 1440P, medium settings and few items at high and I get no less than 60 FPS both online anf offline with full grid. In my case my bottleneck is caused by GPU. Remember to set virtual mirror to low or medium it causes a great frop of FPS.