1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Clue me in on the Porsches, please

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Strummer, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Strummer

Strummer Simracer

[Singleplayer:] I now know that the Porsches cannot be entered in sprint races. I guess the workaround would be to drive them in a custom race weekend event against the AI but I have since heard that they are slower than the rest of the GT3 field in sprint races anyway. I like Porsches but do not want to be racing at a disadvantage. Is it possible to race them against a field of other identical cars? Apart from Career and Championship modes, what is the best way to race them against a diverse AI field in shorter one-off events? Please excuse me if I am revealing a high level of ignorance here; I've only been driving this sim for two days.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer Disconection , no clue why ? Mar 21, 2023
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Cannot see my own ac server in same pc -any clue?- Dec 31, 2015
    Audio Bugs & Issues W10 audio crackling/distorted - observation, clues Oct 9, 2015
    ACC Gameplay Porsches run out of fuel at Spa 60 minutes Jan 7, 2023
    ACC Audio Inconsistent Transmission Whine Pitch on all Porsches May 7, 2020
    ACC Physics ai porsches suspension collapse when leaving pit in save game Dec 19, 2019
    Physics Bugs & Issues curious AI-braking behaviour from Porsches 935/78 and 962 Jan 4, 2017
    Screens & Videos Porsche 911 GT3 RS hunting other Porsches on the Nordschleife Dec 11, 2016
    Console Lounge Purchased Porsche pack, but no Porsches Nov 29, 2016

3. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Simracer

There are two Porsches in-game. The Cup car is indeed slower than the rest. So why is it in the game? well, because it participated in the Spa 24H in 2018.
    The 991 GT3 R however is a proper GT3 car which participates in the Endurance series and is properly balanced (irl and in-game) vs the rest of the GT3 field.

And you are correct, the only way to race this car in Sprint tracks is using the Custom Race Weekend mode and you'll be competing against other vehicles in the Endurance series.

There's no way to make single-make races but again, the GT3 R is very competitive against the rest.

4. aaaape

aaaape Racer

I think the porsche gt3 r is one of the faster cars. Its got good power and amazing in the tight slow parts too

5. The porsche 911 cup car, is a recommended first buy in iracing. You can pretty much always find a race, people just love that car. I was hoping they would have more races just for that particular car, with no TC its always fun.

6. fabT

fabT Alien

I'm not actually sure the Porsche 991 GT3 R is one of the fastest cars.

I think it's one of the hardest cars to drive because of lack of downforce and overall weight/aero distribution.
    If you can overcome these limits it can be fast, yet pushing is much harder than with most other cars.

7. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

I don't think it lacks downforce it's porsche we are talking about and they were in lmp1 and their road cars are beating lap times even though it doesn't have high power as mclaren or ferrari but it has excellent grip.
    I agree on one of the hardest car to get lap times out of

8. James P

James P Simracer

The Porsche just makes its downforce in a different way. It doesnt have a very large diffuser at the back because its full of engine. This means they run much larger rear wings to the rest of the field to compensate for the lack of low pressure under the car creating drag.

This is why the Porsche is generally a little slow on the straight as you have to run more rear wing compared to others to generate the same peak downforce.

By doing that you get more push understeer in the fast corners so its about balancing the front ride height, bars and dampers to compensate. By stiffening up the front you can negate the understeer but it will make the car more nervous.

Due to the cars short wheelbase its great on the brakes, agile in the slow stuff and with that engine over the rear wheels traction is epic. It rewards big trail braking. Its just to be fast you have to have an edgy less sprung setup to negate the high speed understeer due to the weight distibution and rear wing. Some people like that whilst others hate it.

dbr93 and Capitán WeedFox like this.
  9. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

Yep that's true it has overall very stiff setup for that rear engine but i like that it provides very lively feeling but sometimes edgy car is generally faster.
    look at esports no one on top is using ferrari yet but instead they choose lamborghini which is similar to porsche.

10. isma_c_r

isma_c_r Gamer

Did you mean the rear? Because as far as I know, in order to get rid of the understeering you have to stiffen the rear and soften the front to make the car more prone to turn

Batch, SimGuy_1 and James P like this.
  11. nkohout

nkohout Gamer

The disadvantage might be that the included setups are not as tailored for those tracks as the setups for the cars that competed in the sprint championship. I expect the Lamborghini, Mercedes, and Audi to have included setups that came from a lot more input from teams/engineers.

However, the tracks that the sprint championship competes on should be better suited to the 911 (tighter). Herberth also won ADAC GT Masters last year with a 911, which is all sprint races, and uses SRO BoP.

It does have less downforce due to the engine getting in the way of the diffuser, but it's also the lightest car in the base homologation.

12. James P

James P Simracer

Yes, apologies it was a rushed reply earlier. It is indeed the opposite to what i said above :)

isma_c_r likes this.
  13. fabT

fabT Alien

Well, this kind of discussion went on elsewhere:

Read what Aris said, i think it makes sense.

Personally i do think the 911 GT3 aero is lacking, compared to most other GT3s.
    The fact you can try to overcome that by adding a lot of rear wing is a different matter imho.

Porsche's strong points are elsewhere.

14. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

Driving pleasure ;)

fabT likes this.
  15. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

I agree.There is a reason why 911 RSR is mid engine now.Rear engine is good and all BUT rear mid engine is used by almost every top motorsports (lmp1,f1 etc).Still fun car i can go down 2 clicks on rear wing still no oversteer on mid-high speed.

16. Darkenend

Darkenend Rookie

The Porsche requires you a lot of aggressiveness, I feel, it's a car that it's made to just push it in every corner, and you need the car to be nervous by as James P said, and be very very precise on the wheel to being able to handle it properly.

It's basically a high-risk high-reward car that feels amazing to drive, but you need to have some skill to truly push it to the limit, other cars are easier to get to the 100%, but the Porsche is muuuuuuuch much fun to drive.

At least to me :p

Ggbsnowbird likes this.
  17. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Just one thing: Why is the short wheelbase responsible for the car being good under braking? I believe it would actually be the other way around. The thing that should make the Porsche good under braking is the fact that it has the engine at the back, so less of the load is transferred to the front when you brake.
    I'm not saying I know this for sure, and if you have an explanation as to why a short wheelbase makes a car good on the brakes I'd be interested to know what it is, but it's not making much sense to me.

18. fabT

fabT Alien

Yes, you're right.

19. James P

James P Simracer

I was under the impression that with a shorter wheelbase car there is less weight transfer when accelerating and braking between the front and the rear of the car. A short wheelbase car is generally lighter as well which helps braking performance.

This has repurcussions with COG too as the lighter you can make the car generally the lower you can get the COG. This means less "dive" under braking and therefore more braking stability.

A heavier longer wheelbase car i thought would have more weight transfer to the front and therefore have more "lift" at the rear, decreasing braking performance. As you say what also helps the Porsche is the fact that all this weight is behind the rear wheels so lift at the rear is minimised.

That was my understanding but maybe i am wrong :)

20. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I believe that when you have a longer wheelbase, if all else is unchanged, you actually get more load transfer between front and rear. It's similar to width: a wider car is desirable for mechanical grip because it gets you less load transfer from side to side when cornering.

21. iVG

iVG Alien

The reason why Porsche is good on the brakes is because the brake bias is as close to 50/50 as humanly possible. The rear has the weight of the engine pushing it down while the front gets the load from the car pitching forward so it loads all tyres almost equally which is why it's so good and stable. A longer and wider car would have very stable aero properties both rolling and squat/dive. Porsche relies on bumpstops to limit that movement instead. Not sure why you get so confused

James P likes this.