1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Complete car performance test

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by nimp, Jun 14, 2019.

1. nimp

nimp Racer

Now that we have a good amount of cars to pick from, I asked myself the question how they stack up against each other on the various tracks in game.

To get conclusive results I tried to eliminate as many variables as possible:
    - tests were only run by me
    - hotlap mode, dynamic weather off, cloudy preset, optimal grip
    - aggressive setup for all cars (tirepressures adjusted to 28.5psi, fastest ecu map, TC/ABS/BB adjusted on the fly) EXCEPTIONS: Silverstone:Lambo/Audi/Porsche: one click more wing, Spa:Audi: one click more wing
    - warmup on the track, then 4-6 laps per car
    - fastest time in all 3 sectors added up
    - when I wasn't sure I extracted the car's potential in one or more sectors, I marked the times to revisit later
    - revisited all marked times and couple of random samples - 2nd results usually +- 0.05sec of the first run

Working with sector times instead of lap times helped to reduce the human factor and significantly lowered the amount of laps I had to run to reach conclusive results (still about 900 laps in total :p ).
    Also I tried to take conservative and reliable lines (no hopping over sausage curbs or anything else that lowers consistency).
    Obviously (like everyone) I have my strong/weak cars and tracks. But I tried to do all the cars justice. If there is a car thats slower than it should be in my results, it's probably the Porsche. I usually don't drive it much and it requires quite a different driving style from any other car. But I doubt it would be able to upgrade to the next tier with a more competent driver.
    Also keep in mind some cars handle suboptimal trackconditions (green/wet) better than others, but evaluating this would've been even more work, maybe another time.

I grouped them into 4 tiers:
    Tier 1: These cars clearly stand out from the roster. Perform well on any track. Usually faster than T2 cars on any combo (few exceptions).
    Tier 2: The (thankfully) pretty big midfield. This tier is split into cars, that perform decently on all tracks (like the Ferrari). And cars, that have a couple of strong tracks, but also weaknesses on others (like the Bentley '18).
    Tier 3: Overall mediocre cars. No real strenghts. Generally slower than T2 cars on most combos.
    Tier 4: Tier of sadness and desperation. Don't go here.

ACC_BoP.jpg

Now that I'm done I can't wait for the '19 season cars :D
    Maybe this is useful for some of you and can spark interest to try out new cars.
    Cya on track...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Qualifying and race, car is like driving two completely different cars Feb 10, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Unable to exit Carrer Mode once completed Jun 16, 2019
    ACC User Interface Bonnet view: given car color ( e.g. white ) UI parts are completely unreadable Oct 12, 2018
    Bug reports Complete traction control problem on Ferrari cars Dec 3, 2017
    Suggestions lock dlc cars instead of complete disable Nov 25, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Design of the Global MX-5 Cup Car is completely wrong Jun 21, 2016
    Liveries Xedrox - Nissan 370Z Collection (22 car pack complete!) May 20, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Career not completed Mar 14, 2016
    General modding discussion Modded car causing complete loss of in game sound? Dec 24, 2015
    Liveries Xedrox - Super Trofeo garage (18 car set completed) Dec 20, 2015
    Screens & Videos Assetto corsa carbon fiber logo complete overhaul May 20, 2015
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Career mode not giving credit for races completed (since 1.0) Dec 23, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting Complete Game Freeze after 2 hours of running [Fanatec driver memory leak] Apr 2, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game Freezes completely [complete log attached] [GPU crash] Jan 15, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals 1.8 has completely ruined playing with a gamepad Nov 25, 2021

3. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Simracer

This is pretty cool. So Lambo is still king, since forever...

And the BMW that everyone thought was OP got sent into the shadow realm.

4. Usually I only drive the Porsche, but I tried the Lexus and I have to say its so easy to drive and a lot faster, like wtf
    Edit: could you maybe colour the fastest (green) and slowest (red) laptimes of each track?

PiretSS2000 likes this.
  5. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Could you do a sum of all times? I think it would be nice to determine the best car over the course of a season, for example, and it should only take a minute on Excel.

Other than that, really great comparison.

AchillesXI likes this.
  6. david m

david m Racer

awesome nimp

7. nimp

nimp Racer

This would only make sense in percentages imo. Otherwise you give more weight to longer tracks. Edited the fastest and slowest times in for now.

8. Chriss

Chriss Racer

Louis Johnson and nimp like this.
  9. nimp

nimp Racer

If you want throw em in, sure. I made an extra thread because, if I understood it correctly, you wanted to check racepace with fuel and how it compares to real BoP in your thread. While I tried to extract maximum possible speed from the car as they are in sim without paying attention to real times or anything. So the methodology is quite different. Also it's quite the mess in there with vastly different skilllevels of the drivers with sometimes rather questionable results.

Chriss likes this.
  10. Chriss

Chriss Racer

@nimp totally get your point and it makes sense this way!

It's just that I've stopped believing that we can extract some "objective" data on car performance, because even with very fast drivers like you, it's so much down to driving style and preferences in the end. For you the Lambo wins in Spa, I've seen people doing 2.15 there in the Bentley 18 and 1.22 in Brands, so for them it can very well be that Bentley 18 is justifiably tier-1 or even "fastest" car. Others are fastest in the Lexus.

That's why I find it very insightful to take times from many different drivers and will happily integrate your times into the other thread, thanks for allowing that :)

11. nimp

nimp Racer

I agree with the driving style, especially for the harder or more unique cars like the Porsche. Keep in mind these are not personal records, I've taken the times strictly created by the method i described. My PB in the Boatley on Spa is also a 2:16.2. But as I said, I limited myself to more conservative lines to make the results with only 4-6 attemps per sector more consistent. So for example in "les combes" I didn't ride the curbs too hard in any car, since stuff like that increases the variance in laptimes significantly. But sticking to the same rules for every car keeps it as fair as possible in the end.

12. Echo_29

Echo_29 Hardcore Simmer

Awesome job!

13. Thanks for your methodology and sharing it is very nice work!

14. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Hardcore Simmer

Thanks a lot for this. I'd also love to see someone a bit more ordinary put their times in to see how not so great drivers fare. For example your slowest time at monza is still 2 tenths better than my PB!

15. What cars do you feel have the most to gain with a proper setup, and at what circuits? I've noticed several of the defaults on a few cars don't fit certain circuits well at all.

16. Nao

Nao Alien

oh, wow, TIL practice optimum grip =/= hotlap optimum grip... Seeing laptimes of some of the cars i was like "no way its done on aggressive setup". Turns i've been driving wrong mode since release haha (hotlap is like 1s faster than practice)...

welp thats one mystery solved... Anyways, great work nimp big thanks! :)

17. nimp

nimp Racer

Setups felt good to me tbh. It's just that some cars simply don't fit certain circuits, only so much a setup can fix.
    If I'd touch setups, it would be these things mainly:
    Behaviour over curbs in some cars. And issues on corner exit. Some cars push quite a bit, others have issues putting power down. Also high-speed stability in some of the rear/mid engine cars, but I already addressed that.

18. isma_c_r

isma_c_r Gamer

super great job bud. I'm a fan of lost and hopeless causes, so I went for the Reiter in career mode. Suffering like hell!!

19. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

Holy sh*t i've been waiting for someone to do this.Im not the fastest driver but even for me some cars feels faster and have way higher potential glad to see those cars on top IMO porsche will do better than lexus on some tracks but the work you did is absolutely fantastic and accurate for most people including me.
    Thanks

20. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Grip is the same in both modes so is either different air & track temps or you didn't lower to 10L fuel in practice. Hotlap automatically puts 10L in.

21. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Yes and no. I understand your point, but if all the races had the same duration, let's say 1 hour, then you wouldn't need to compensate for lap duration because races with longer laps would have less laps. Perhaps you could do both.