1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

API 0verhead

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by 0079, Mar 15, 2019.

1. 0079

0079 Rookie

Is ACC going to support Direct x 12 on full release. I believe at the moment the Application programming interface is Dx11 I ask because i noticethat some people appear to be having "bottleneck" issues with their CPU's.
    As i understand it (and im no expert) Directx 11 was originally designed for single thread CPUs, where as Dx 12 and Vulcan are designed to utilize multi thread cpus.
    Could Dx12 provide much faster draw calls per frame upto a 10x faster than Dx 11 greatly lowering the API overhead.
    Would like if possible to hear from the devs on the pros and cons of Dx12 (Dx12 with UNreal engine and windows 10 compatabilty) and how difficult it would be to implement it along with any future API developements they may be aware of.

Micii1 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay Maserati MC20 GT2 Tracion Control Cut (TC2) reported via Shared Memory API Feb 6, 2024
    General modding discussion AC2 dedicated server API for competition systems Apr 16, 2023
    ACC Physics AMG front splitter not fully modeled (no scraping on road surface) Apr 11, 2023
    ACC User Interface Audi R8 LMS Evo and Evo II name not capitalised Mar 27, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Server API info about collisions Feb 15, 2022
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes LF ACC accserver.exe server side broadcasting api/sdk Oct 18, 2021
    ACC General Discussions ACC Broadcast API Documentation May 24, 2021
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Driver Rating dropping rapidly Aug 3, 2020
    ACC Physics Please make turn indicator-data available in API May 23, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer [1.0.6] MP switch back to pit after race to rapid Jul 14, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Chmapionship / No sound / Crash Jun 11, 2019
    ACC Physics Complete shared memory / UDP API Aug 4, 2018
    ACC Gameplay New chapionship is not saved Jun 1, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer There's no server API yet right? May 14, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer is there an api? Jan 21, 2019

3. Micii1

Micii1 Racer

If i remember corectly they said in the racedepartemente interview that they said vulkan and dx12 suport is in you can watch it on youtube it is in 2 parts

4. Stains

Stains Simracer

Did anyone else see Vulcan in Steam as ACC updated today ? I thought it popped up under ACC in the download section !

5. Coanda

Coanda Alien

DX12 and less CPU overhead would be very much welcomed. :)

6. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Same happened to AC recently. Don't read anything into it - I believe this is never gonna happen with ACC.

7. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

Directx 12 has been here for enought time as for being taken under consideration while Kunos started the development, if they didn't use it they must have their reasons. Let's see if some dev can give us a hint about it, on paper it seems from outside that dx12 should be a bless in ACC.

Micii1 likes this.
  8. Stains

Stains Simracer

I know people will say "it's not a Sim" but and "ACC uses CPU for Ai" even though it's GPU limited for me but I just got F1 2019 and it runs at 4k max settings and looks as good or better than ACC. Why can CM make a game look that good graphics wise and use less GPU than ACC?

9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I guess:

- Because they re-use the same code every year (while surely optimizing it, further) and have a lot of experience with it.
    - Because they have huge revenues by selling their full-price DLCs to a large userbase every year which they can spend on development time for optimization.
    - Because they have a larger GFX team than Kunos.

Turk, romandevision and Stains like this.
  10. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

And because probably the codemasters studio has 100 or 200 developers, while Kunos have maybe 30 guys

Turk, romandevision, Micii1 and 4 others like this.
  11. Micii1

Micii1 Racer

But still would like to see dx12 and vulkan in the game.. Go Kunos go

some_evil_dude likes this.
  12. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

I can answer that in full sincerity.
    Why Codemaster is not able to make so advanced physics as AC1 and ACC? Why their weather simulation is not physics based on a film of water? Why their aerodynamics are not as advanced?

Every dev team has priorities. Our priority is make a great sim first and hopefully a good game too. Codemasters, I don't know their priorities, but for sure they are much better than us on making a good game. Hands down. Number of devs, budget involved, years of improving the same title etc, are all justifications that you may or may not put into your equation. But the truth is right up there and that is all. We try and will try even harder.

For the dx12/vulkan support. Other devs can tell you much more about it, but it's not automatic, don't believe the hype. Actually we had worse performances when we tried it, so it's not like you flick a button and voila everything is better. If it was, obviously it would have been released by now.

13. romandevision

romandevision Simracer

Oh, I am ready to believe in anything, but not in the graphics Codemasters F1. Maybe I have a problem in the perception of textures, but I can not look at this game ... it is terribly lit and the color scheme is absolutely terrible. My head starts to hurt after one hour of play and my eyes start to water. Perhaps this graphics is suitable for a shooter, but not for the F1 simulator (it does not matter that this is not a simulator, it is better and the only F1 game).

I am sure that Kunos could make bright graphics that at first glance would look better (like a bright candy wrapper), but I am grateful to them that they tried to make everything realistic. This begin to understand only as time passes.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  14. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

This topic was there a few times already. iirc the thing regarding Vulkan was that the version of the Unreal engine they used didn't prodive the support for Vulkan they needed, so it wasn't clear if they can do it for the release version.
    But it was also clear that it is an interesting topic and that they are looking into it.

Apart from that during the evaluation phase, Stefano experimented with Vulkan (and possibly also DX12) himself to see what it would take to write an engine for that.
    He stated so in some thread in the old AC forum (that was before ACC was officially a thing). He also stated that it made things much more complicated to implement compared to DX11, because you have to do many things that previously were done for you by the driver.

15. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

This is also what I remember, roughly. AFAIK, there's no recent statement on this. IMO it's safe to suggest that it's way, way down the priority list. Current ACC version performs decently and runs stable on most systems. It would be nuts to risk this status now as they fix stuff and add features at a rapid pace.

16. I disagree with half of what you say. I was unfortunate to buy into other these other games in consoles that promised these physics. It's been years, but I still curse the day that a tool like Microsoft lies to everyone for profit. Codemasters indeed aren't after physics and they don't advertise like a sim. As for Kunos, with that level of honesty, you guys are gonna dominate! I was convinced after iRacing and Raceroom, that guys like you no longer existed in the sim department so I wish you well on a prosperous journey. Kudos