1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is ACC a 1 time project for Blancpain

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by PuppiesZ, Jun 26, 2019.

1. mister dog

mister dog Alien

Viewers means sponsorship ;)

2. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

Same here, had heard of it but never watched, now subscribed on YouTube and often find myself watching the races there

Tim Meuris and mister dog like this.
  3. henkjansmits

henkjansmits Simracer

I don't know. I look on the rear wing of my Audi in ACC it says "Total". I think Total is interested in brand recognition for general consumer not just a few gentlemen and their friends.

4. Son

Son Hardcore Simmer

Idk, you view it on YouTube, you get interested, buy merch and tickets etc. Tell your friends about it, they watch and buy stuff. It goes on and on.

mister dog likes this.
  5. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

The majority of funding for private teams typically comes from gentleman drivers paying for their seat, which may or may not include pulling in well paying sponsorships. But sponsorship money alone doesn't pay the whole deal in a series like this.

6. Turk

Turk Alien

I haven't paid much attention lately but from what I can remember a lot of the sponsors are pretty high end stuff. While total may be a company that sells a lot of stuff to a lot of people and blanpain is a broad sword, I'd say when they sponsor blancpain they're promoting specific products to specific people, mainly people who need to buy expensive oils for their expensive cars and the target audience is more the people at the circuit rather than the people watching on TV.

I got the impression from some documentary that some of the sponsors are doing personal favours for the gentlemen racers. If a company wants to ingratiate themselves to a powerful CEO sponsoring he's hobby is a good way of going about it. I wouldn't really see the value in having your logo on a car that might get briefly seen on a youtube stream. But if it get's you in the good books of someone who can help your company it's worth it.

henkjansmits likes this.
  7. chakko

chakko Alien

TBH, i had to smile a bit about the "x millions" above. :D

It's a sim. Not a AAA game.

8. baboon

baboon Alien

Blancpain...Blancpain...Blancpain...Blancpain...Blancpain...Blancpain...Blancpain...

send some watches to Kunos.

mister dog and chksix like this.
  9. I hope that in the future they give you the funding for new Blancpain projects such as Asia, America or intercontinental challenge. Through Kunos and ACC i am now a big fan of Blancpain races, I never watched any motorsport race properly until this year. I watched the entire of Paul Ricard and I'm probably buying tickets to go see Silverstone and Brands next year.

Hope you guys keep up the great work, I'm really enjoying ACC.

10. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

So you think the guys at the Total HQ will notice a difference in revenue because their logo appears on a simulator for which the maximum player count in the last 24 hours was 777 people? I struggle to believe that.

11. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

I apologise in advance if I misunderstood your message, still not very clear to me, but I'll reply anyway.
    I never said it's "millions". But paying for licensing is a good amount for a dev like KUNOS. For us, it's a lot of money and in the past we had to turn down projects because the licensing money was too much to deal with. I'm pretty sure this is the same for other devs too.

But the cost of a license is only half the story. The brands we are dealing with are high end brands, luxury brands, global 500 and so on. It means they have a dedicated lawyer office that does that. It means they have extremely long contracts that describe how their brand is going to be used, recreated and visualised. What the royalties will be (if any), how the payments will occur, what problems the software can cause and how their image might be impacted from that...
    We only have Marco dealing with all this hell, and let me tell you, he is doing a hell of a job, completely transparent and not known. When everybody else takes the congrats for sound, visuals, physics etc, he is still there trying to make licensors happy when they act up if a screenshot shows a car infront of a another...

Speaking of which, every video trailer you see, every screenshot you see, every social media or old media material, every presentation, has to go through approval. Yes we'd love to show you always what we're working on, or preview shots of work in progress etc. But we can't. A car for example has to go through the approval process. "Why is this carbon texture like this and not like that? Why is this sponsor sticker a cm more to the left? why my car is not ahead in this racing screenshot?" etc etc etc. It's not an exaggeration, on the contrary, I'm not even telling you half of what is happening. And of course we have a timeline to respect but in the mean time the approval team from the licensor might be busy with other stuff and simply ignore us... So next time you complain about how a modder can release everything he wants (in the timeline he wants) and we can't and we do not "communicate", think about all of that for a moment.

All in all, what I'm saying is that long are the days when a passionate sim dev could do whatever he wanted with the content he could create. Now they are rules, contracts, money, penalties, legals, even shareholders that all need to be respected. We live in a much more complicated era. The userbase rightfully demands everything to be as realistic as possible. Cars, sponsors, tracks, series, names, brands... end every single thing of the above list has to be dealt with, paid, approved, paid again, corrected, agreed and then finally arrive to your hands. There's tons of behinds the scene work

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  12. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

Thanks for the insight Aris. I know about the problems of software development and how unforseen things can occur, but I never thought about the legal stuff. That really sounds like a PITA.

emha76 likes this.
  13. mister dog

mister dog Alien

That Tom Cruise smile probably comes in handy when dealing with difficult negotiations. :D

14. semtex79

semtex79 Gamer

Thanks for this insight!
    I worked 6yrs as a Dev Eng. for one of the Premium OEMs represented in your Sim (a german one ;)). I can perfectly picture the pain, you are talking about.
    Back then I was involved in a recourse. That was really an unimaginably aggressive Negotiation between the OEM and the Supplier. Money involved: xx.000.000€.
    I don't imagine numbers are as high here, but I can imagine what kind of pain it must be to deal with OEM legal departments. That's not fun at all!

You should add this to the very top of the Forum to make some quak-quak kids aware, that the real world is a lot harder than they can even imagine.

Happy racing - keep up the great work!!!!!!

15. Turk

Turk Alien

Poor Marco. That's the kind of stuff that makes you want to just burn everything you own, throw your clothes away and go live naked in the woods for the rest of your life. Far from all the legalities of modern life.

PuppiesZ likes this.
  16. chakko

chakko Alien

My response was to the original post:

Sorry for the confusion.

17. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

ah no worries, my bad I've lost the context.
    Well I guess it is still a good read though

18. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

Holy balls...didn't realize how much nitpicking is going on as to the "what car is in front" example. On second thought it makes sense because when it comes to money people and especially big companies do all sorts of things, like going back to kindergarden with their behaviour without being ashamed of it whatsoever. I mean can you believe it?:

Lamborghini: My car has to be in front in this picture
    Audi: no, mine
    Lamborghini: no, mine
    Audi: no, mine
    Honda: no, mine Kappa
    BMW: wtf?!
    Bentley: Tea time everyone! .....and btw, my car has to be in front, of course or I'll Bexit out of your project.

omg :D

My respect for your work just increased, thanks for sharing this, Aris. :) And shoutout to Marco, the kindergarden teacher ;)

19. semtex79

semtex79 Gamer

You just insulted every kindergarden. Big company behaviour is below that.. :D

PuppiesZ, Turk and LeDude83 like this.
  20. chakko

chakko Alien

Well... motorsport is one big marketing platform. Why would simracing be different? Especially when you hand out licenses to use your property. Of course you want to have control then.