1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is my butt to big? Educate me on why my rear keeps stepping out.

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by R1-Limited, Jul 1, 2019.

1. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

So here is the deal, I am no guru when it comes to suspension on cars, I am a motorcycle guy, so I setup my kids suspenders while my kid sets up my cars suspenders, Odd right.

Anyway my issue is the same with every car I am working on. I am settling in with the Aston but I will run whatever. The problem is I get to a point where I get the front to stick and then start working on the rear. I cannot get the rear to sop stepping out. I can control to a point but its the same results, I get to apoint f no returns on trying to stabilize the rear to follow the front.

Appreciate the input.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Friends Leaderboard - fonts too big and buttons overlap names Feb 18, 2014
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Button "onClick" not working: solved Mar 20, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Update the button layout options for controllers. Mar 3, 2024
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Button Assignments Dec 23, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Invisible steering wheel/driver and greyed out button Jul 23, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Can't set button for mid race save replay... May 7, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Button box Mar 5, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game won't start after pushing "play" button from steam Jan 28, 2023
    ACC User Interface Mapping buttons on the PC keyboard (key number "2") Dec 28, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds The game thinks my PXN V9's pedals are buttons not an axis, is there a fix? Nov 21, 2022
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec wheel buttons sending mouse clicks to game Oct 18, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions wheel buttons locked to look left and right, and no option to save car setups. Sep 30, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC 1.8: Manual gears using square and x buttons? Sep 29, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals G920 buttons always on Sep 9, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Stream Deck as a Button Box - Ideas Aug 29, 2022

3. A-Jin

A-Jin Racer

Generally if cars feels unstable or oversteery then i suggest using safe setup.If you still having trouble then decrease the rear anti-roll bar or increase the front anti-roll bar and if still the problem exsist then you can try lowering wheel rate on rear 1 click at a time or increase the front wheel rate 1 click at a time.
    I don't touch any of the damper settings since i don't know much about them and besides they don't need any tweaks at all.
    Another thing you can try is increase traction control level but at a cost of speed.
    I can give you more suggestions but can you describe more about your problem ?
    Like what circuit are you talking about,especially what corners are giving you trouble.
    IMO aston has turn in understeer and even a little power on understeer at some specific speeds but it can oversteer quite easily so best choice will be upgrade your leg to be more precise :) otherwise you will make car stable with setup but not competative at all.

romandevision likes this.
  4. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

Any track any car, but you mentioned the Aston, I like it because for some reason its easier to keep sideways when it does go that direction. for the record
    1. I always start with Safe
    2. I build my setups based on 5 laps (test) them add or subtract last settings. if that setting is just wrong I delete and move back on setup. I use as example Aston-Setup-X where X is the number 1 - 9. When I find the happy medium all others get deleted.
    3. As noted I get the under-steer iron out fairly quickly
    Although some cars are less forgiving in the rear a few are but the problem remains. I have tried
    1. Tire pressure
    2. Toe and camber
    3. bump in various forms
    4. anti roll
    5. Raise lower front and rear
    6. Damping
    All this done not at the same time, but in slow deliberate increments. That said, I know and understand what changes in back will effect front, so I make very small increments once I reach a satisfactory point. Meaning dropping 5 seconds is a good satisfactory point.
    yes throttle control is a big thing, timing your entry apex and exit is a very big thing, but all that with a greasy rear dont amount to a hill of beans

Thanks for the input.

5. A-Jin

A-Jin Racer

looks like you have tried everything,i got one thing on my mind is that what type of surface/road condition are you using ?
    Green and fast will cause cars to slide alot more than optimum setting.
    Still you obviously know that these cars are RWD fairly lightweight and have good power so having overseteer is only natural.
    I've personally set good laptimes on default aggressive setup and many other people have done even better than me at default aggressive setup.
    I'm not saying that you are the problem but if that is the nature of the cars and in-game physics you just have to deal with it.

R1-Limited likes this.
  6. Mach77

Mach77 Racer

since you mentioned the Aston, if you oversteer on corner exit, the Aston produces more than 700Nm of torque. so, it easily loses traction. especially without a diffuser like the Huracan, the Lexus or the 488. what I suggest to reduce significantly the oversteer is to reduce the rear springs. yes, it does induce more understeer, but at least, you get a bit more traction. also, at the rear, put a somewhat high value of Toe in. like 0.25. that helps a bit more with traction. if that still doesn't help, reduce the rear ARB/stiffen the front ARB. changing the rear ride height doesn't change much with the Aston, so, don't bother much with that. while having the rear springs fairly soft, soften also the rear dampers. especially the compression/bump one. you can also put more negative camber at the back or less negative camber at the front. sometimes, it's better off to sacrifice a bit of corner entry to nail the exit. at least, that's what I do with the Aston

romandevision and R1-Limited like this.
  7. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

Edit : Mach77 addressed rake already, so disregard my post ;)

8. A-Jin

A-Jin Racer

OH btw i do think from my observations from real world car footage that in ACC even on optimum grip level the cars slides tiny bit more and are more more stable at braking and easily have shorter braking distance compared to IRL cars.

9. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

If you find the Aston oversteery with an ACC default setup, then fiddling with setup won't do anything because the problem is elsewhere, either with your FFB or video settings.

R1-Limited likes this.
  10. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Hardcore Simmer

I was getting big oversteer issues with the AMG and i found the biggest difference i could make to reduce it and also reduce my lap times was to change my driving style. By using coast through many corners I had better entry speed and could save the throttle until the car was much straighter.

I took a second and a half off my race pace at monza by coasting more and just don't lose the rear half as much.

11. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

You make a good point, a I an running fantec CSL Elite base (Blah Wheel) with V3 Pedals. I have adjusted the base and setup in game with some tweaks that beat default settings of 1080 defaults. However throttle control has been bothersome and IMO non constant where as with @Plastic_Manc tend to coast more after apex before feathering up. I find as well at times to pump the throttle meaning push down and up much like I would if I was motorcycle dirt tracking to enter and set up for apex and exit. I have and am looking into the throttle setup on my rig, maybe I need to invest in the damping kit

To wit, my entry and apex are about as spot on for me as they can be not withstanding my exit is effecting it so I am throttle conscious (See remark on throttle feel as well) It is my Exit, I am seeing the 90% of oversteer

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  12. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

Look this and see if it helps with your problem:

R1-Limited likes this.
  13. ijac

ijac Gamer

When I have oversteer problems on exit, I start by softening the rear anti-roll bar. And maybe soften the rear springs a little. This shifts weight to the rear when getting on the throttle, giving more grip on exit. If it's a high speed corner I might also add some downforce with the rear wing.

romandevision and R1-Limited like this.
  14. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

This was helpful, as the descriptions is what is going on in most cases. Appreciate it. Reminds me when I was hunting down a front chatter issue on my R1. My suspenders guy as I explained it to him, advised the rear is to stiff and causing a pogo effect. Few clicks on spring damping compression and boom, bike flattened as it should while entering apex under trail braking.

15. Default

Default Racer

If you can't even run consistent laps on a regular setup then the last thing you want to do is changing setup. Focus more on driving.

MTv and ignission like this.
  16. tommyfresh

tommyfresh Rookie

Are you experiencing a loose rear under braking? You might want to play around with brake balance so that the car has a better weight distribution under braking. Try to be easy on the steering inputs, especially at higher speeds and stay away from kerbs on full throttle corners.

If you're losing the rear on exit then try upping TC or being more gentle on the throttle.

I'd also check your wheel/pedal inputs to make sure they are calibrated correctly, the rear shouldn't be fighting with you that much unless you are really pushing with a low downforce setup.

17. alex bonner

alex bonner Racer

There are several things that maybe causing the oversteer.

Corner entry
    Diff
    Brake balance
    Slow bump and slow rebound (weight transfer)

Corner exit
    Slow bump and slow rebound (weight transfer)
    Diff
    Tyre pressure
    Throttle map (unlikely)
    Traction Control (Try 1st)
    Roll bars (last resort)

I should be able to tell you what the issue is just by watching you do a few laps. Add me on Steam and I'll take a look.

18. iVG

iVG Alien

Well these are 500+ horsepower cars and a step out on exit is normal if you use low TC setting. My suggestion is to bump up the TC or, ideally, use the throttle more progressively. Other than that it very much depends on the car but as a general rule of thumb before any sort of setup talk, front engine cars struggle more with power oversteer on exits (I assume its power oversteer since you are talking about exits). Mid/rear engine cars have better traction due to more favourable weight distribution pushing the rear wheels down to the ground more. Slow corners is purely mechanical grip issue so no need for wings setup change. I understand if you want to run TC as low as possible but these cars have quite loose differential on purpose - they are designed to be driven WITH driver aids like TC. So before any sort of setup change and all that confusing talk - try simply going up on the TC, one click at a time until it feels right without being too restrictive. Second - try being more progressive with the throttle. Not necessarily stepping on it later, but more progressively. Footwork is the thing that separates average and good drivers most of the time assuming your lines through corners are correct. You don't have to bash it to be fast.

Here's a little clip that I've always been fascinated with. It's quite old and more true for older cars but it applies for any motor vehicle. Also coming from one of the best. Have a look and tell me what you think:

Nahkamarakatti, dene11, MTv and 5 others like this.
  19. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

You really lack in reading comprehension? No sure where you picked up and ran with the dribble you spat out, but I suggest you go back and read a little slower, maybe then like lap times, your comprehension level will rise up

20. Default

Default Racer

"Appreciate the input"
    Clearly you don't with such a rude reply, let's go through this.

"The problem is I get to a point where I get the front to stick and then start working on the rear"
    This statement suggests you worked on setup from the get-go. "I get the front to stick" means you setup the front first. "and then start working on the rear" means you setup the rear after that.

"I get to apoint f no returns on trying to stabilize the rear to follow the front."
    This statement further suggests you're heavily working on setup.
    That's why I replied with what I did regarding setup.

My point is further backed up by your earlier statement:
    "Anyway my issue is the same with every car I am working on. I am settling in with the Aston but I will run whatever"
    When it's the same problem with every car it's clearly not the car that's the problem, the problem is with the driver, which is you. That's why I replied with "Focus more on driving."

Clearly my reading comprehension is fine and I understood everything you said. Not sure where you picked up and ran with my "lack of reading comprehension", but I suggest you go back and slowly work on your driving, maybe then like lap times, your driving level will rise up.

ignission, chksix and MTv like this.
  21. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

Seriously, and you end with
    Pfft