1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Spinning -- Interesting Problem Possibly Resolved

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Bob Peirce, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I find I spin a lot in AC. I've tried adjusting settings and doing all manor of things without success. The interesting thing is this starts as a slight rear slide that would be easily corrected in a real car. In AC, once it starts there does not seem to be any way to recover. Up to now I thought it was just me. I'm sure I still contribute but now I no longer think it is just me.

I was listening to a Ross Bentley podcast from Dallara's Indiana factory where they have a $1MM+ simulator. Ross was commenting that it was easy to catch slides in this simulator, that in fact it felt like a real car, while in other simulators he found them impossible catch. Hmm. That sounded familiar.

One of the people he was interviewing said that of all the physics calculations, the most difficult to handle was slides of this nature and that it required an incredible amount of computing power. They can do it because they have the equipment. AC isn't built with that kind of computing power in mind because it isn't meant to run on that kind of system. I think once it gets beyond its "comfort zone" all it can do is give-up.

I guess the key for me now is to try to push to the edge of the software giving up. If I can feel that in the sim I will probably be able to feel it in a car.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Car stuck rear tyres spinning Nov 24, 2021
    ACC Physics Car losing drive or spinning wheels, car seems to do burnout, no brake applied Apr 29, 2021
    ACC Gameplay AI cruise at 10km/h on start if start position is even [Actually: AI leader spinning on formation] Mar 22, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Car spinning during pit stop Dec 17, 2020
    ACC Gameplay AI sometimes retiring to pits after spinning out without colliding Nov 20, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals What is the fastest spinning consumer wheel May 16, 2020
    ACC Physics New Honda keeps spinning out Oct 26, 2019
    ACC Physics Impossible to not stall if spinning out Apr 7, 2019
    ACC Physics Cars Keep Spinning Out Feb 26, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Spinning tree shadows Jan 17, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI spinning player over aggressive special event Nov 16, 2018
    ACC Physics ACC 0.1.2 Car getting stuck briefly spinning wheels when spun at T1 (Storm weather) Sep 26, 2018
    Physics Bugs & Issues Spinning tires in grass.. Apr 2, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Porsche Panamera Turbo - spinning tyres shifting into 2nd gear Feb 6, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Logitech G29 Wheel Spinning out of control and Locking Dec 2, 2016

3. paul_wev likes this.
  4. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

That's a different issue. I'm just trying to figure why the sim, which is so accurate in so many other respects, seems to fail in this one area. Ross's podcast provided a possible answer. It may not be the only answer but it is an explanation I can relate to.

On the track, if the car starts to slide, you can correct. In the sim you can correct up to a point (proactive) but the maximum point is nearer than on track. This isn't a total loss. You can feel the car approaching the edge and if you steer clear of it you are okay, but once you pass it there is no coming back. The same thing can happen on track but it is later. There is a large period where the car is trying to get away from you but you can still catch it. That doesn't seem to happen in the sim.

I have never looked into it, so maybe I am completely wrong, but based on my experiences to date I think it would be difficult to drift a car in the sim. I'd like to hear that I am wrong.

paul_wev likes this.
  5. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

??? AC is one of the favorite sims for drifting. I am not a drifter but in AC I can catch slides. Any example?

stefanoCasillo and paul_wev like this.
  6. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

Cool. That suggests it really is me. I still think slides are harder to catch than on track but that doesn't mean I can't learn to do it. I need to keep working at it.

7. To be honest for me that said podcast was one of the least good podcasts Ross Bentley have released. Probably because it shines how little Ross knows about the sim industry. For me the episode sounded like an advertisement. Which it kinda was but I'd like to hear more about the fancy simulator than some grandpa-talk.

What goes to catching slides thingy, if Ross talks about sims he talks about iRacing. Not sims in general. If people have issues sensing oversteer and catching it in AC, blaming software wouldn't be the first thing I would look at.

stefanoCasillo and paul_wev like this.
  8. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

Yea, I'm sort of concluding that. I think part to the problem, as I've mentioned before, is trying to get the sim to act the same as the car and it doesn't for any number of valid reasons. I'm now trying to drive the sim I've got rather than the car I'd like to have. If that means it is less neutral, has less grip at the limit and gives up faster past the limit then I have to figure out how to deal with it. Mostly this means backing off a bit in areas where past experience tells me I could have troubles. My goal is to drive a ten lap session at close to my best without an incident.

Frankly, once it really goes I can't bring it back, but that seems to be me.

9. iVG

iVG Alien