1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - RayTracing confirmed?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Deatroy, Aug 17, 2018.

1. As someone who works with graphics devs try holding them back from trying out RTX/DXR once those cards are out there. :) Infact any dev manager worth their salt would be buying at least one RTX card and giving their devs some "play time" with it. Once we have cards, drivers and optimised code then we'll see whether this generation of cards perform adequately or not. Whatever way you look at it's a hugely important leap in graphics tech.

Nvidia were / are in a pretty interesting position. They had a small window to get it into devs hands, which reduces the chances of leaks - but then without optimised code can't put their best foot forward. Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't position.

Given the tiny window the initial tech demos have I would take initial numbers with large grains of salt (on the RT front). As the techniques will be new to people [just look through some of the siggraph presentations here to get a flavour of it https://on-demand-gtc.gputechconf.c...ssionYear=2018&sessionFormat=&submit=&select=] I wouldn't rule out significant performance gains once dev companies really get some time working with it.

liakjim likes this.
  2. _HUN_Alex

_HUN_Alex Rookie

Just a simple question, but since raytracing is a insane and heavy calculation, would it be possible to just use it for example in photo mode?
    Let's be real, only a few of us will be lucky enough to have and RTX series card......
    What I mean is that for example you hit replay or go into photo mode, you set the angles etc and then you can trigger the ray trace, see the final result and then take the photo. Since the game is already paused or you see a "static scene" it doens't matter if it takes like 30 seconds(*) to calculate it with not so high-end cards IMO. But as I said it's just an idea of mine
    *Just wrote a random number, an uneducated guess :)

mms likes this.
  3. Areston

Areston Racer

I want to buy a 2070 but i need to know if RT technology is already in the game.

4. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

It isn't, and there's been no confirmation that it will be.

There's also the fact that the performance of demos with RTX enabled raised eyebrows even on 2080Tis. How a 2070 might cope is anyone's guess.

5. C3PO

C3PO Hardcore Simmer

I reckon it won't be until nVidia 3080 GTX that we'll start to see decent performance figures with ray tracing in games generally. 4080 GTX and it'll rock. Could well be wrong of course!

6. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

"It isn't, and there's been no confirmation that it will be."

https://www.facebook.com/Assetto.Corsa/posts/2662875423738759?__tn__=-R

Why a TBA release counts as "no confirmation that will ever be added" is beyond me, but hey.

KRoman47 likes this.
  7. Turk

Turk Alien

I don't think those demos represented any kind of finished product though, just showing off the tech. So things could be a lot better in the real world once they've had more experience with the tech.

It's too early to consider buying an RTX card for any other reason than to be the first to own one as far as I can tell. There doesn't seem to be a huge advantage over a 1080 in non-rtx games and by the time RTX games are on the market the price of the cards will probably have gone down a little bit and any first run problems will have been ironed out.

It's rarely a good idea to buy the first batch of any tech, if there are any unforeseen manufacturing issues (and there often are) your going to have to deal it RMA or live with it.

If your buying for ACC I'd say wait until RTX is turned on and has had some testing, it may be a complete flop, or generally unsupported for a few years.

8. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Example from EA games on DirectX Raytracing using SEED's 'Halcyon' research engine.

9. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

Imho, ratracing indeed is the next very big thing in graphics rendering, absolutely no doubt about this.
    Nvidia completely made the launch of the first gen RTX cards about the raytracing capabilities, as these cards are the first to have hardware support for this feature.
    However, the RTX20xx series simply seems not powerful enough to do raytracing in realtime, specially as gaming is also moving towards ultrawide monitors and 4K resolution.
    We'll have to wait for the RTX30xx and RTX 40xx I guess. Should not be more then a year though...
    Also, regarding the upcoming RTX20xx cards, Stefano was kind of reserved about ACC and raytracing in a honest comment about it

10. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

Well after the first Benchmarks yesterday i am shocked about Turing.
    Pure Performance Gain is small. Sure the architecture is smart and fully new.
    RTX will come handy some time and DLSS is nice.
    But only 20% in FHD up 35% in 4K is nothing great, but pricing is ****ed up fully.
    In Reality these % are less. The 1080ti FE vs 2080ti FE isnt a good comparison.
    The old one sucks really hard and a Custom 1080ti like Aorus, EVGA push easily 15% or more vs the FE.
    You wont see these 15% Push on a 2080ti Custom, because the FE is already really great!
    12nm doesnt allow little bit higher clocks.

Sadly, but i will go for a cheap 2 years old 1080ti for around 450-500€.

mms likes this.
  11. ZioYuri78

ZioYuri78 Hardcore Simmer

Reviews by Gamer Nexus:

RTX 2080 FE

RTX 2080 Ti FE

RTX 2080 FE -> buy a 1080Ti
    RTX 2080 Ti FE -> buy it if you are rich and pray that the developers start to well implement RTX technology

mms likes this.
  12. ivann_11

ivann_11 Racer

How would new Radeon cards compare to Nvidia in ACC?

13. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Everything up to Vega, poor. Underperforming their direct competitors by about 20 to 30 %.

As for the new RX 5700 models, there are no benchmarks in this forum, so far. I'm looking forward to them - maybe the new Radeon chip architecture somehow helps to improve UE4 performance?!? We'll see.

14. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Out of interest, I've looked around the web for benchmarks, but none of the initial reviews targeted ACC, possibly also due to ACC lacking a dedicated benchmark mode.
    From the reviews it seemed that at least in some cases the cards performed significantly better in games were Vega didn't perform that well, but to be sure we'll have to see actual benchmarks with ACC.

In the meantime, let's hope that Kunos find some way to improve the performance with Radeon cards. ;)

15. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

That would be awesome, because I really like Radeon GPUs and also the "new" drivers. Although WattMan (like I told you in the other thread) seemed buggy the lat time I tried it, Radeon settings is a very good UI with reasonable settings, all pretty straightforward. It is currently much better than the NVIDIA CP. Furthermore, the FreeSync situation remains a very strong point for Radeon. Although NVIDIA now supports FS, it doesn't work as well as with Radeon. I'm not pulling this out of my arse - I actually bought an RTX 2070 in spring and tested it vs. my Vega 64. The RTX wasn't as smooth as the Vega, not even close to it. So I returned it.

Now in the existing benchmarks, did you find any UE4 titles? That might give an indication on ACC performance.

I have no hopes that Kunos will find a way to improve ACC performance for Radeon GPUs. It was pointed out many times before and the answers from Kunos were pretty much all negative.

16. ivann_11

ivann_11 Racer

In Fortnite, Gears of War 4, Hellblade senuas Sacrifice, PUBG
    5700 XT is beating 2060 S.
    But, there is so few ACC benchmark videos overall. This is rare screen that I found:

Screenshot (10).png

17. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

There is a list of reviews over here (german):
    http://www.3dcenter.org/news/launch...00-serie-navi-erste-testberichte-gehen-online

I didn't go through every review, so there might be more, but from a first glance I found at least this:
    Darksiders 3 - RX 5700:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700/12.html
    Darksiders 3 - RX 5700 XT:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/12.html

Surely there is more. AMD themselves showed benchmarks of PUBG where it performed much better than the Vega.
    But unfortunately most sites run exactly the same benchmarks, there isn't too much variation there.

It's interesting though that in Project Cars 2, it seems to outrun even the VII:
    https://pclab.pl/art81248-12.html

My hope kind of is that the Vulkan backend might perform better on Vega (I haven't seen numbers on that, so it's really just hoping) and once the Vulkan support in UE4 matures we get that in ACC.

Deatroy likes this.
  18. romandevision

romandevision Simracer

Even if you buy it, the rays will not give you pleasure, when they appear (if they appear) - you will not have a stable 60 fps. Therefore, I do not see the point. I have RTX2070.

go.neil and esox71 like this.
  19. Anyone who is obesessed with RTX at the moment doesn't seem to realize, that Nvidia managed to get a game from 1997 to work so-so with RTX. How would anyone expect to have this properly implemented and performing well in a brand new game? It'll take years, until games fully support it, and the hardware is capable of delivering a decent performance. The current RTX and RTX-Super GPUs are a marketing stunt, imo.