1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Ace Pumpkin, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2019.
  1. Yes

45.1%
  2. No

34.6%
  3. Not decided yet

20.3%
  1. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

as mentioned in the thread name,
    Do you think UE4 did a good job in our niche genre?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Are you satisfied with the purchase of ac? Nov 18, 2014
    Console Lounge How to share clips to Assetto Corsa club Mar 17, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Career - Bonus objectives not awarded. Feb 25, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Maserati MC20 GT2 Tracion Control Cut (TC2) reported via Shared Memory API Feb 6, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Servers are offline Jan 27, 2024
    Bug reports problem changing TC on mclaren 720 evo. Loss of power Jan 26, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.6 update and GT2 Pack DLC are OUT NOW! Jan 24, 2024
    Chit Chat Room we are in the design of a force feedback pedals. Jan 20, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds All AI cars on all tracks are driving 50 mph during race! Jan 14, 2024
    ACC Physics Differentiate AC and ACC Shared Memory With Different Naming. Jan 3, 2024
    ACC Gameplay Career Duration Setting? Nov 26, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Career Oct 22, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Fanatec Arena Settings Oct 10, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Clear Calibration software logitech - anyone have this? Oct 2, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting GPU consumption rise if you enter menu options while water trails are rendered Aug 13, 2023

3. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

I was open minded originally but it does seem to be too generalised and not ideal for sim racing.
    I hope I'll have to eat my words in the not to distant future.

PiretSS2000 and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  4. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Apart from it missing triple screen functionality or at least some kind of perspective correction that doesn't make the middle screen all blurry I quite like it. As long as you have good hardware it can look really pretty, although it suffers a lot more than others on lower details. Kunos are doing well with it, although I feel there would have been better choices.

jaxx_za and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  5. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

So to the once who are satisfied:

Do you cope with the Max fps the engine gives you?
    I get 120 to 140 in AC1 and rF2, compared to 60 max in ACC.
    And you can tell by the visual output lag, big time! That’s a game killer to me.
    Undrivable I say, unless you hide the wheel, or change to dashboard view...

6. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

FPS suffer when too many cars are on screen, so for me the first few corners of a race are usually ~50fps on v1.0.5, and after that rock solid 60FPS, which is all I need. As I have always hidden the wheel the visual lag isn't noticable, at least I seem to adjust to it quickly.

edcoronag, jaxx_za and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  7. [ATF]Shanti

[ATF]Shanti Simracer

Imo it's way too early to say yes or no or whatever else
    UE4 is relative young?
    When a game engine is so far ahead of capable hardware... Only can get better, not?
    What should be the alternative?
    I'm ok with UE4, in the same way as I'm ok with... the weather to take an example, cannot change it, so no need for complaining :)

Adastros likes this.
  8. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

what is the purpose of this thread? o_O

Sean, Whitestar, tabis and 7 others like this.
  9. geanmimi

geanmimi Gamer

this engine is very resource-intensive, high-end cards imperative. No triple screen management and may never be, no support for DX12.

CONTROLE FISCAL and Tim Meuris like this.
  10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

To see what is the outcome consumer wise with the decision to go UE4.

11. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I think the thread is going in the wrong direction, asking if UE4 "did a good job". I think it's rather the other way around, are the devs doing a good job with UE4. This is true for performance, visuals, feature implementations...

Give Kunos more time with the engine and it'll be fine. Outside of very specific technical limitations an engine itself like UE4 should not pose a significant issue, only the time the team can invest into implementing something with it. If there's limitations for your specific implementation you work around it, some devs can and have the resources, some don't.

12. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

I'd like to add that KartKraft IMO also does very well on UE4. The engine is also still evolving, so with two UE4 simracing titles around who knows what may be added in the coming year(s) that fits our niche well.

Freddie Seng, Demo, jaxx_za and 6 others like this.
  13. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Good point, dear Sir.

14. MonzterPixel

MonzterPixel Gamer

I think it is more good that it has shown that in UE4 if it can be simulated and ACC is a sample of the same, although with many flaws by UE4 that does not have a lot of tools to improve performance and rendering, we expect that everything goes well and is All the important problems of performance and rendering, especially the configuration of the 3 screens, if this is achieved, are, on the front, the best car simulation game with better graphics, because no game has the physical characteristics ACC has.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  15. tpw

tpw Gamer

I’ve read any number of posts from supercomputer owners on this and other forums which basically equate to “next gen visuals require next gen hardware”. I think the reality is “next gen visuals require next gen hardware if they’re implemented in UE4”. Kunos have done an astonishing job bending UE4 to their will, but at this stage the title is supremely demanding of hardware that runs other sim titles perfectly.

16. chakko

chakko Alien

IMO, yes. There were things that the inhouse Kunos engine couldn't do, there are things that the Unreal Engine couldn't do. All in all, i think it was a good idea to make the transition, though. After all, we have dynamic day and night transitions now, the calculation of lights doesn#t seem to be a problem, and, Kunos can focus on the sim aspects, and don't have to worry about developing the engine so much anymore.

jaxx_za and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  17. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

GTR3 will also eventually release with UE4.

I think ACC (and Unreal) can only improve from here.

18. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Ah haha, lol
    EST pls

19. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Just a temp breakup:

The majority seems to be pleased with UE4...

20. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Estimate on GTR3 release date you mean? No idea lol

21. chakko

chakko Alien

GTR Never. :p

TBH, it doesn't look very good for that sim... such a long time in development, and not even a video, or some definite screenshots.