1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Ace Pumpkin, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2019.
  1. Yes

45.1%
  2. No

34.6%
  3. Not decided yet

20.3%
  1. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Not for headlights, which is where I thought it counts the most. Seeing that dynamic shadow casting headlights were limited to two light sources on the player car only and the endurance lights (that in some cars are supposed to illuminate the apexes) don't cast anything at all was somewhat disappointing to be honest.

Sadly that doesn't include fixing the running shadows on objects to the side of the track, probably the single most annoying visual issue that existed in AC1 as well. Plus there's now very noticeable shadow pop-in on trees.

Also I still find a lot of low-res textures around (in obvious places), which rather surprised me.

And mirrors are a performance-killer with seemingly little visual benefit over AC1.

Overall ACC looks obviously better, but if you're listing visual benefits that justify the performance hit I have to point out that it just doesn't apply everywhere in detail. I still think the switch was a good idea and I'm as always astounded what the small team at Kunos accomplishes, but to me it also appears that more time with the engine is needed to get the most out of it.

2. still a clear improvement over AC1..

damn, I should defend my "own" engine more :p

the_token, GRFOCO, martcerv and 12 others like this.
  3. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I can't tell you otherwise, you have to know it best. :) Just have to point out that it is there with this game as well and that it's noticeable, to me at least. I realise that it's probably not something that can be solved entirely, other games suffer from the same issue.

Whitestar likes this.
  4. ya it's just something that comes with the Cascade shadow mapping technique... racing games are probably the worst scenario possible with fast moving camera through close vertical "walls". The only real solution would be ray traced shadows.. hopefully sometime soon before we're too old to still enjoy videogames.

chksix, th3o, mr Switchblade and 6 others like this.
  5. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Ouch, only ray tracing can fix the shadow draw issue...?
    Then I have to wait a decade to afford it. :(
    Something to look forward to, I guess.
    :)

6. Zanza21

Zanza21 Racer

That said would it make a better point saying that AC1 VR is still considered better than ACC one's ?

To be clear, i play ACC in VR atm, and i like it...the cars looks simply wonderfull..if you dare to drive CLOSE enuff to them o_O ...but its all SA that comes in mah pockets :cool:.

But most of my AC's friends still plays AC due to how it looks crispier in VR...and when i say most i mean like almost all of them :confused:

And to be honest even AC VR wasnt tender on both the cpu and gpu, had to play it @45 fps + reproj on a 1080, but the MSAA works...

It would not be such a drama if it wasn't for point (1) :(
    The VR HUD for example, ACC one actually looks of a different generation compared to the one we have in AC...

And ac1 has the Green Hell....mi manca già

I'd bet LK voted NO to the poll...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Anyways, the poll is clear imo, the majority seems to be satisfied with the engine choice.
    Which can be interpreted as Kunos did the right thing.

I’m not totally shure of that, but will give in to the majority. I just hope I will benefit from it, maybe next year, after upgrading my PC.
    :rolleyes:

Anyways, god speed Kunos. You deserve it.

8. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

They probably don't bother as consoles can't properly support it yet. I don't own one, but I understand that GT Sport had very limited VR ability as the PS can't do the required heavy lifting? Happy to be proven wrong if anyone knows better.

jaxx_za likes this.
  9. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

OT
    Some background on that:
    https://www.gtplanet.net/next-gran-turismo-will-be-a-combination-of-past-present-and-future/

Whitestar, [ATF]Shanti and tjr like this.
  10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

11. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

Ehhh....I think i agree with you? Not entirely sure to be honest. The shadow popping and visual clarity are big issues for me. Running down nurburgring and seeing billboards all fuzzy until I get within 75-100m drives me nutts as does all the shadow popping on monza. There are definitely better visuals in a lot of ways, but i'm not sure i like the tradeoff at this point.

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  12. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Some racers in our league are in their 70s! So you've got a few more years in you yet.

13. WallyM

WallyM Alien

UE lack of proper support for triple screens is making me sad. Cars often look like they're floating due to their shadows not being present. Shadows in general don't look much better than AC. Multiple light sources is marvellous. TAA ghosting looks bad. Moveable apps in AC was a beautiful feature that we've lost in ACC due to I presume engine limitations.

Jumping back and forth between AC and ACC, neither of them looks insanely better than the other to me, but AC performs hugely better.

So on balance, I'm not happy with the engine.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  14. Adastros

Adastros Racer

Oh you mean the king of sim games? :rolleyes::p

Ace Pumpkin and mr Switchblade like this.
  15. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

Wasn't the triple screen crises that rush ACC into the U4.22? And have broken some already made work?

Looks like devs are having some fun here, are you still in holidays? Back to work boys.:D

Edited: I think on the next Big update, Kunos will hit hard, as always.

16. Coanda

Coanda Alien

That is interesting matey. For me I don't get ghosting in the cockpit in ACC so it doesn't bother me as much as KK because like you said it's always there on the kart wheels wheres I mainly only see it in replays in ACC trailing off the diffuser. I do get it on the mirrors a little however only in the wet and this is not an AA issue, it is a screen space reflection issue. I agree with your statement on KTAA however it is ok for me to use for replays. For an interim solution I would like to use TAA whilst racing and KTAA for replays to handle the dry ghosting issue. I can swap these AA methods manually if I can be arsed. A UI option would be nice however no big deal as I am not that crazy into replays. I think the AA is ok, I think the shimmering & lighting on distant objects such as fencing & poles needs some attention though. Hopefully we see some improvements in that department down the line.

Regarding the UE4. I play other games/sims that use it. I still do not understand why ACC has 99% GPU load on menus. The others do not.

17. CKraegel

CKraegel Simracer

Well it‘s looking absolutely beautiful and I am able to run full field races in any condition in VR even with my old potato (I7 4770K, 780 Ti, 8 GB RAM) so nothing to complain about.

Love it!!

18. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

ACC to me is graphically such a leap over AC and what i love most is that you can see the handwriting of Kunos, their own specific flavor of graphical design. However, you notice of course very much that ACC ist still a bit rough around the edges compared to AC, which is no surprise when you consider that AC is polished af by now :).
    I am also so so so pleased that we finally have proper 3D trees everywhere(?), at least the ones very close to the track.
    Night racing also looks incredible, it's to me the best looking night visuals i have seen in a racing game, maybe only Driveclub can challenge here (that game in general is a real jewel and heavily underrated just because of the rocky release).
    Yes, it's heavy on performance. How much more improvements (percentagewise) do you think you can squeeze out of it @Lord Kunos ?

19. Timberwind

Timberwind Racer

I did an AI race first on AC and then on ACC. The Unreal Engine makes Competizione a truely generational leap in graphics. A jump like from a PS3 to PS4. There is way more detail, it is sharper and so on. The Lord himself already mentioned those features.
    And when AC was feeling choppy on race start ACC had no problems with the framerate. My FreeSync monitor and a cut off at 60fps by RTSS make for a good experience overall. When hotlapping the performance of the former title becomes much better, but that is not what a race sim should focus on. One significant visual issue is disappearing underbody shadows at a way too close distance. At settings mixed between high and epic it should not be happening like that.
    The Unreal Engine has an optimization problem at higher frame rates. I would rather prefer higher frame rates, like 70 to 90 at the cost of quality. However the visuals degrade very fast when lowering and make for a jarring experience as pop-ups get more aggressive and are very distracting when racing. With this the advantage of higher frames for gameplay kind of disappears and I enjoy the eye candy instead.
    Really the question is whether Kunos will be able to implement good triple screen, VR and TrackIR support in the near future on this engine? I use currently none of those options and feel free to send me those, but I would regard them as core features every simulation should offer.

Tim Meuris likes this.
  20. Psit

Psit Alien

No i am not satisfied. At all.