1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CARS The Ferrari 488 GT3

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Aristotelis, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Thanks for those videos.
    Yeah, the first example doesn't tell anything. He even lifts before taking Blanchimont, which should be flat out when driving on a dry track.

Second example is better.

2. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Yes, the 2nd example you added after my post is much better. But I'm wondering - is this driver a fast one? Or is this a fast lap? 2:23 doesn't seem very fast to me. He exits Eau Rouge with only a bit more than 200 kph.

3. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

The aggressive setup are pretty fast setups. The fact that many aliens use them for WR is telling. Still, in ACC a fully oversteery setup, doesn't pay, it doesn't result in fast laptimes always. You need a proper setup, thats why we see aliens reporting they are starting with aggressive, modifying many things and at some point they lose speed so they have to go back. The cars have a very narrow operation window so the aggressive setup are close to the edge of that window (usually)

Practically everybody in race trim. On their qualifying hotlap some might try, but usually there is always a tiny liftoff just before. It's safer and usually even faster. Going in flat out, scrubs too much speed trying to keep the car in line. Keep in mind, when I say lift off, I'm not actually saying completely lift your foot, or even brake. A tiny modulation is more than enough to bleed speed and go in safer. That's what everybody does and usually is not visible or audible in the videos (if you see a flat out video on the YT). Actually when one manages to go flat out at eau rouge, he usually post it at YT as something exceptional... so this should give you an indication that it is "an exception to the rule"

Not sure if you've followed a bit of the ACC creation and the physics devblogs, so sorry in advance if I'm repetitive but in case you haven't allow me to go back explaining a couple of things about it. ACC is a big step forward in simulation, especially in aerodynamics. ACC permits us to simulate much much better the pitch and ride height sensitivity of the real cars. In real life and ACC, the aero platform is king. It is the most important thing to keep stable, both in terms of setup but also in terms of driving. It takes new and different driving techniques to maximize the stability of the aero platform and have the car produce the maximum downforce possible while maintaining the ideal aero balance front/rear.
    When you bottom out, the whole air flow under the car stops/starves, practically eliminating any downforce created by diffusers. In the 488 in particular, the very advanced aerodynamics of the front splitter, always permit some air to go through and generate downforce at the front, even if it bottoms out. But if you bottom the rear end, then you end up with way too much downforce at the front, that spins the car. You can counteract that with more rear wing, but obviously you have other compromises then.

It's not a coincidence that gentlemen drivers get seriously instructed on how to take some turns properly, no matter what their experience. For example, the fast right hander after the long straight at Paul Ricard. "Raise your foot BEFORE the turn and TURN IN ON THE GAS ALWAYS!", same for Eau Rouge, same for Blanchimont etc. It's not an advice to go faster. It's an advice to stay alive. I kid you not, I was infront of such a scene with the team telemetrist and engineer explaining this to a new AM driver and he smiled. The team principal stood up and said "if you keep smiling, our work is done here. We are not going to let you drive and crash if you don't take this advice seriously, it's your life at stake." He went insta-cold. True story bro (seriously)

The whole GT2 series proposal seems absurd. Cars with less downforce than GT3s but way more power, 700+bhp instead of 500bhp. Why? In the words of Stéphane Ratel when he did the presentation (we were there), "Gentleman drivers have big issues to understand where to brake and how to do certain turns with the high downforce GT3s. We want to offer them a new category that is even more thrilling, but easier to drive. The 700 power cars will be great and the electronics will take care of handling the power as they do now, but the cars will be far more easy to understand when cornering and the braking will not be as scarily close to the corners."
    So downforce... is a tricky thing to understand and drive.

4. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Thanks Aris, great post, much appreciated!
    Indeed, I didn't have the opportunity to follow the ACC process closely, so thanks for repeating it for me. :)

(well, I bought it right away at the start of EA, but time … :()

5. Aristotelis

No worries m8, I'm here for that. Just wasn't sure if I was going to tell you things you already knew.
    FYI if you find time for a read, the physics support subforum has sticky threads for all the new features of ACC, here: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?forums/acc-physics.73/

6. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Yeah, I'm trying to catch up on all topics.
    Although I still have to admit, my love in actually driving cars in sims still belongs to AC and its wonderful historic racers. ACC is great, but it does not deliver awesome stuff like the old 911 RSR or the 917.
    On Sunday, I took the 917/30 out for a blast around Highlands Long and that is a thrill … no GT3 in ACC can match that (for me).
    There are so many cars in AC that have such a nice response to the throttle input (like th 917/30, but also a lot more). It just doesn't compare.
    However, as a physicist, I am highly interested in the concepts of modern racing cars (also the F1 hybrids), so I'm trying to read anything I can manage to.
    Actually tbh, I would be even more interested in the models and the implementation* behind it rather than just the effects we're seeing on the (virtual) race track, but I understand if it's not stuff you can disclose. :)
    (*basically the stuff where others would say "booooooooring" :D)

ignission and dek like this.
  7. Aristotelis

Ah well... there is no doubt that vintage racing has some cars that are simply... no words to describe them. Also, their window of operation is ample and permits the driver to do plenty of fighting against or with them :D So it's so much spectacular and rewarding. So yeah I perfectly understand what you're saying.

Unfortunately, I cannot talk about mathematical models openly for various reasons, most importantly because they are intellectual property of KUNOS and mainly Stefano. As long as everybody else keeps silent about theirs, we obviously won't talk about ours. But if you ever manage to meet us in one of our SRO events, we can talk off the record about implementations all day (and night) long :D

8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Yeah sure, I understand. :)

Not sure about SRO, not really my thing, but maybe SimRacing Expo at some point. ;)

9. A-Jin

A-Jin Racer

What do you mean by applying power early ? I always though that less time costing means more speed i.e get on power as soon as possible.
    I generally do that with all cars so is there something else i'm missing here?
    Do you mean that ferrari can get on power early compared to other mid engine cars (which seems to have slight power on understeer)?

10. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Ok, after your advice, I gave the 488 with the aggressive setup another try around Spa and I got it figured out.
    You don't have to do the lifting pronounced (as the guy in the video does), just releasing the throttle a touch does the trick.
    More lifting makes the corner easier, if you stay on the throttle almost flatout, the line through the corner is key.
    I did once get too close to the curb on the right (a line which I commonly took with the 458 GT2 in AC) and that really didn't go well.

Did a short 30min race against AI and managed to drop my times by a second to 2:20.4. Funnily in that race, this happened:
    20190704220046_1-1.jpg
    I don't think that ever happened to me, driving the exact lap time in two consecutive laps. :)
    Thanks to the slight adjustments, I feel finally confident pushing the car, so consistency is much better now and lap times are getting better with the default aggressive setup still.
    Did a short practice session afterwards and now I'm at 2:20.0. So only 2.5s to my target lap time now.

Need to work on my tyre management though, I'm killing the rears way to quickly.

sissydriver and Aristotelis like this.
  11. chakko

chakko Alien

I feel like it is exactly as it is explained in the OP: The Ferrari needs a bit of work to get it fast around the track. It's not as "straight forward" as the Audi, for example. The limit is a bit more "blurry". Seems like a similarly fast car though, after some laps, i could do roughly the same times as with the Audi, maybe half a second slower, but, that surely is rather down to more practice.

Viggdred and Aristotelis like this.
  12. Aristotelis

Exactly what you said, just a different way of saying it.

13. A-Jin

A-Jin Racer

Just the way i like them endless front end grip and managing rear with throttle.
    Thanks for clarification.

14. is it because of the new Evo versions with super aero?

15. A-Jin

A-Jin Racer

ferrari has already got evo upgrade in 2018 its probably due to slightly favorable BoP.

16. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Yep, the Ferrari in-game already has a EVO update (it's not mandatory in the series to have the cars up to date but I think they all ran with it for 2018) and I haven't heard of another one for 2019.

17. sorry guys. I meant that extra performance due bop has been given because other manufacturers perfected their cars

18. A-Jin

A-Jin Racer

yep exactly that.

19. Borbor

Borbor Racer

you sure about that?

on Cat C tracks, the 488 2019 BOP got an extra 15 kg in vehicle minimum weight vs the 2018 cat C bop.

20. f1200racer

f1200racer Racer

I'm not fast yet by any means (and probably won't be LOL) but for what ever reason the 488 is the car I can get in and drive about 1 second faster @ Zolder than the other cars straight out of the box. I think it suits my driving style

Now I don't really have a ton of time in ACC yet (maybe 10-15 hours or so) and I haven't driven all the cars/tracks either. Silly work/home commitments :p. I have a feeling this will be one of those sims where I'll never get fast because I don't have the time to put in to it but I really enjoy when I do have the time

Viggdred likes this.