1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How to get UE4's dynamic resolution running?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by LeDude83, May 2, 2019.

1. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Hi guys,

I wanted to play around with UE4's dynamic resolution that will automatically change the screen resolution in order to keep the FPS up:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/DynamicResolution

Quote from that page:

"Supported Platforms
    Currently, the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 (excluding PSVR), Nintendo Switch, and Oculus VR support Dynamic Resolution. Additional platform support is planned for future Engine versions."

Is that a mistake or is PC/2D Screen really not supported?

I used this in the engine.ini but it didn't work:

[ConsoleVariables]
    r.DynamicRes.OperationMode=2
    r.DynamicRes.MinScreenPercentage=50
    r.DynamicRes.MaxScreenPercentage=100
    r.DynamicRes.FrameTimeBudget=10

I also tried "SystemSettings" instead of "ConsoleVariables" - didn't work.

Edit: found this entry in the changelog of UE 4.21:

Optimizations
    • New: Added support for Dynamic Resolution for D3D11 for Intel hardware using MetricsDiscovery API.
    Source: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Builds/4_21

@Lord Kunos

Stains, GoBo, mikendrix and 2 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    General modding discussion Shadow (not supposed) dynamic rendering Feb 2, 2023
    ACC Physics Did ACC get robbed of FFB dynamic range & understeer feel in 1.8.12 update? Mar 30, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Not so Dynamic track Nov 25, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Dynamic resolution scaling Jul 16, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Always thunderstorms With dynamic weather settings May 8, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Dynamic Damping May 3, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Online Servers with mandatory pitstops and dynamic weather? Apr 28, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Poll: Does your league use Dynamic Weather? Apr 25, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO VS DT 990 Pro? Mar 10, 2020
    ACC Gameplay [1.1.1]Championship not using dynamic weather and track? Oct 28, 2019
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Exporting AC PhsyX Data to Vehicle Dynamics programs? Oct 15, 2019
    ACC Physics [V1.0.7] Dynamic Tyre Pressures (Wet) Sep 1, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Dynamic weather and AI strategies? Jun 17, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Dynamic mirrors and fix for HUB in VR ? Jun 17, 2019
    ACC User Interface 1.0.2 - struggle with dynamic weather AND random track conditions Jun 7, 2019

3. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

I am curious too.
    On my triple monitor setup, at 5860x1080, I know that using a primary screen resolution of 80% and enabling Temporal Upsampling + setting TAA to Epic, I get really good frame rates (in the range 80-110 FPS depending on other settings) with visually very similar quality to 100% resolution, but with an extra 10-30 fps depending on the shadow and post processing level.
    Dynamic resolution could be a solution to keep a more consistent framerate and would be a great addition to the settings in the game.

P.S.
    I'd like to see other settings too being available separately:
    - Ambient Occlusion
    - Depth of Field
    - Shadow resolution

P.P.S
    After reading this article, I can see why they group Ambient Occlusion with Depth of Field:
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/how-to-improve-frame-rate-through-video-settings

I just wish I could set the ambient occlusion radius to be a little smaller: even with Post Processing at Mid, it makes the scene and asphalt really dark... too dark IMHO.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    GoBo and kuccu like this.
  4. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I can confirm that the resolution scaling change from 100 to 80 or 120 is not huge in terms of visual quality, but significant in terms of FPS.

I have this thread open about adaptive GFX settings, where I said that I wouldn't wanna touch resolution:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...rom-adaptive-gfx-settings.56128/#post-1038408

But I have changed my mind. Going down to 85 allows me to play with 29 AI and pretty high settings at night in a Storm while maintaining ~43 FPS (I need minimum 42 because of FreeSync range). The thing that seems to affect FPS the most is the water spray from cars close ahead. When this happens, I don't notice the resolution decrease because all you see is a wipers moving and tons of waterspray.

So for these very rare scenarios (it happens only during the start as the field speeds up), a reduced resolution is a great idea IMO.

I researched a bit in the meantime: it really wasn't supported until 4.21. From the changelog entry of 4.21 (post 1 above) I hope that it's implemented now.
    ACC is on 4.20 and Stefano said they're planning to upgrade to 4.22. So I hope it will work then.

For Oculus Rift, it should already work.

fnegroni likes this.
  5. esox71

esox71 Alien

Isn't 80 default?

6. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

For the Sharpness yes. Resolution? Don’t think so.

dek, LeDude83 and esox71 like this.
  7. esox71

esox71 Alien

Ahhh ok :)

8. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

@pankykapus @Lord Kunos - please give me just a quick reply on this - do you know if this UE4 feature should be working in the current ACC version? Thank you.

Stains and Fremen_78 like this.
  9. dek

dek Racer

Mine is 100 by default...:confused:

10. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

The devs don't seem to reply to any of my tags, anymore :mad: Must've annoyed them too much :( And I'm wondering how only few seem to be interedted in this feature.

Anyways, I tried entering this

in the engine.ini again and it didn't work. So I read this again

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Rendering/DynamicResolution/index.html

and it seems that the line r.DynamicRes.OperationMode=2 maybe doesn't belong in the console variables, but in a per-platform configuration profile:

So this might have to be added somewhere else?!? @Coanda since you play around with .ini files, a bit: any ideas?

It would be a great addition to ACC...maybe even the best possible performance optimization. I can run high SP of 130 %, in 95 % of all game situations with the FPS not even dropping lower than ~50. This makes a huge difference to jaggies and blur. Only in very, very rare 5 % situations (storm on starting grid at midnight in Misano) the FPS drop really low...like 30 FPS low. this feature would be super effective for those situations.

I really hope Kunos has this on their frequency. From this entry in the ÙE 4.21 release notes, I think it should be working for DX11 applications:

Stains likes this.
  11. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Dude, calm down …

12. Coanda

Coanda Alien

:D:cool:

LeDude83 likes this.
  13. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Let me get back to you pal ;) F1's and baby to sort out...

LeDude83 likes this.
  14. Stains

Stains Simracer

Did you find out anything new that isnt in this thread ?
    Indeed this would be a great feature but i cant find any more info :(

LeDude83 likes this.
  15. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

Very interesting thread. A pity that the devs don’t answer.
    I found out too that reducing resolution scale to 70 in VR is the key for great FPS-gain.
    An automatic dynamic resolution scale would be the best solution of course...

Micii1, LeDude83 and Stains like this.
  16. Luciano Micale

Luciano Micale Simracer

Very good idea le dude. hope they listen to you. Has anyone seen the new sharpening options to nvidia control panel?!? It seems a good deal for not so much cost.
    Going low on res scale in vr it seems difficult to read the numbers inside the car and the brake markers on the side of the road, any tip?!?

17. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Hope so, too.

The sharpening option in the NVIDIA CP works great for me in Call of Duty WW2 on my notebook. WW2's "cinematic" AA is very blurry, much like ACC's TAA. Activating NVIDIA almost entirely elimintates the blurriness. I'm really not exaggerating here - it's a game changer at no significant FPS cost. It also doesn't seem to re-introduce jaggies like many other sharpening methods do. It really seems much advanced.
    Once I get back to ACC the next time, I will try it here, as well.

18. cooknn

cooknn Alien

I use a FreeSync monitor. Never knew there was need for minimum 42. Periodically I get serious stutter which has baffled me. Until now. I suppose it could have been because I dropped below 42.

19. Stains

Stains Simracer

I tried nVidia sharpening and upscale in ACC and couldn't really see it working! Do you think it's because I run at 4k but have the resolution scale at 85% so the upscale doesn't upscale to 4k because it thinks it's already there and if i lower the actual resolution it may have an effect then?

20. Stains

Stains Simracer

It looks like dynamic resolution scale works well in the console versions ! I hope this means it will be available to us now if anyone knows how to get it running on PC ??
    At 1:23 he mentions it as he does throughout the video on how well it works .