1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Biggest settings impact on GPU?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by 81sc, Aug 4, 2019.

1. 81sc

81sc Rookie

Just wondering if I should be concerned that my 1080ti is running near 100% and in the mid 70's (celsius) for temps? Just did a 12-visible opponent race at Spa (no weather).

What settings have the biggest impact on GPU? I'm running shadows on low and foliage on medium, the rest is a mix of high/med. Am I missing a setting that is making the card work so much? I feel like any race with weather might make the GPU freeze up the game. I was getting lock-ups back a few weeks ago when I had all the settings except for shadows maxed out. I decreased some settings and it's running fine now, I'm just thinking maybe I should decrease it some more so the GPU is not taxed as much?

Screens of my settings: https://imgur.com/a/CDlxE6Y

Thanks

Philm likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions the biggest crash noobs !!! May 3, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Biggest Sim Racing Tips (sim driver analysis) Oct 8, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Biggest wishes... Jan 26, 2017
    Chit Chat Room The biggest sim race of all time Jan 1, 2017
    Tracks modding [suggestion|request]ehra-lessien, biggest testtrack ... in the world! Sep 11, 2015
    ACC Troubleshooting Camera Settings / Some settings not working Binding Apr 15, 2024
    ACC User Interface View settings doesn't get saved anymore [A/V intervention] Mar 9, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Track grip settings Mar 4, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Where do you find the the driver assist settings? Jan 31, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions View settings locked Jan 27, 2024
    ACC User Interface What is Minimum Message Priority in HUD settings?? Oct 26, 2023
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec DD2 problem, game keeps loosing settings Oct 25, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Fanatec Arena Settings Oct 10, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Does anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DDoes anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023

3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

If you are running uncapped or without v-sync it is perfectly normal for your GPU to run near 100%. It's all good. It means your GPU is working at its optimal to give you the highest FPS possible. You would rather this than it being throttled and only working at 60% of it's capacity. Your temperatures are fine and well within the safety zone. I have the same GPU and I live in a hot climate and mine regularly runs between 75-85 deg.

The hard taxing GPU settings would be:-

Resolution
    Resolution Scale
    Shadows
    Mirror Distance
    Mirror Quality
    Mirror Resolution
    Volumetric Fog
    Opponent Visibility

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    jaxx_za likes this.
  4. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

They're designed to tun at 100%. Nothing to worry about.

Edit: Just read the bit about the lockups. I don't see any reason why 100% GPU use would cause that sort of instability, have you kept an eye on the rest of your system?

5. Hi friend,

You have asked a few questions so I will give you my thoughts on the ones I have an opinion on (and have experienced myself)

From your settings there are two I would reduce that affect FPS

Mirror Resolution = low
    Volumetric Fog = disabled.

You could increase the Shadows to mid with minimal FPS impact.

This will still make the GPU to max out at 100% just with a higher FPS until you reduce graphics to a point where the CPU starts to max out. Then the CPU will be your limit on FPS.

70 Deg C is great for this card when maxed out at its highest clock Mhz so no concerns there. You could use MSI afterburner to change the Fan curve to be more aggressive to reduce the temp if you want but not required in your case.

On my rig for each game I always aim for a more consistent FPS rather than max to smooth everything out.

For ACC what I did was do a quick race and have full AI cars, heavy rain at Nurburgring at 9pm.
    At the hairpin at the bottom of the start/finish straight gives me my lowest FPS for this game. My CPU was the bottleneck until I reduced the Ai to 20 cars (this might be different after the 1.0.7 beta patch) then I adjusted the graphics so GPU was 100% and CPU was 95%. (I have found that higher GPU usage is better then CPU for smoother gameplay). Whatever the FPS was at that point is the lowest FPS for this game. I then set an appropriate frame rate limit in the settings that I was happy with just above this minimum and for 99.9% of all situations I get smooth frame rate and reduced temps.

Hope this helps.

6. 81sc

81sc Rookie

Ok, cool, thanks, guys. That makes me feel better.

BrunUK- I was using afterburner just to monitor my GPU temp, but after the lockups started, I added a few more parameters to keep an eye on. My CPU is around 40-50%, so I don't think that is a problem. Maybe it was an issue with the previous driver I had, and once I updated it, that fixed it. Not sure.

7. 81sc

81sc Rookie

Thanks, cheeky. I'll do your quick race and see what I get. On Spa with 12 AI on a clear day I am averaging around 90FPS with the settings where they currently are, which I'm obviously happy with. I'll mess around with them some more.

I only recently started monitoring more stuff with msi afterburner, and ACC is clearly my most demanding game, so I just wasn't sure if what I was seeing was outside the norm.

8. Nvidia have released a couple of bad drivers recently.

Word of friendly advice on monitoring your system. Try to avoid the rabbit hole of chasing FPS or lower temps. I have lost too many hours by trying to gain 2 FPS or 1 Deg C. Find a happy balance, Accept the limits of your system and enjoy your games. :)

Eric Rowland, Perell0ne and 81sc like this.
  9. deadmeat2k

deadmeat2k Racer

What is the (max) refresh rate of your screen? If it is a 60 Hz monitor then every fps above 60 generated by your graphics card is wasted, since the screen cannot show them. Worst case the game can feel like stuttering if the fps is varying a lot and out of sync with a screen with fixed refresh rate. Most likely that is not an issue though.

EDIT: I forgot to add my point: if this is in deed the case, then you can crank up some more image settings as long as you can stay around 60 Hz (assuming that is your max monitor refresh rate). That will be better use of your GPU.

10. 81sc

81sc Rookie

144. I'm not getting any stuttering, I just wasn't sure if I needed to decrease some settings in case what I was seeing for temps wasn't ideal/normal/etc.

11. deadmeat2k

deadmeat2k Racer

OK, but yeah 70 degrees is really excellent for such powerful graphics card and just let it run 100 %. Actually if it runs less than that - even just small spikes down, then your system could bottlenecked by something else, usually the CPU, so flat 100 % is perfect (just like in racing ;)).

Derrellbiffle likes this.
  12. 81sc

81sc Rookie

Roger that! ;)

13. dek

dek Racer

Just to mention. FPS is not all. Frame time is also a big factor for smooth, low latency gaming as I have discovered.

trasgu likes this.
  14. deadmeat2k

deadmeat2k Racer

Agreed, frame pacing (as I believe you actually consider) is even more important than high fps. From my personal (undocumented) experience there a no big frame pacing issues with ACC though.

15. Stains

Stains Simracer

I just max it out at 4k except shadows and reduce resolution scale, also run my 1080ti undervolted at 1911MHz@0.900mV and get 64c max but capped at 60fps.

Levelup1 likes this.
  16. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I think foliage hasn't been mentioned, yet. I tested it, thoroughly at some point and with each step you see a clear FPS difference. But almost no visual difference. I even posted 2 comparison screenshots in the forum somewhere but nobody replied.

Hence I run it at low. I think low vs. epic is some 10 % FPS difference.

Tim Meuris and trasgu like this.
  17. Coanda

Coanda Alien

It's 10 FPS difference for me. Only really noticeable in the distance in areas like this.

LOW
    acc_fol_low.jpg
    EPIC
    acc_fol_epic.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Tim Meuris, baboon and LeDude83 like this.
  18. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

@Coanda you're a legend! I never knew what I had to look for in terms of differences! So thanks.

Your FPS results show a relative difference of 8 %. I wasn't far off with those 10 %.

Coanda likes this.
  19. ziozeus

ziozeus Racer

With medium settings 3D grass appear s inside armco barrier but it's hardly visible, big step back from AC :(
    With high settings, 3D grass (a lot of and of a kind that showcase that a visible one were possible also for inside the circuit AC_like) (ah.. really can't understand the design choice) appears out armco, so only visible in some replay cameras we can say. Epic adds other low level vegetation outside armco I think.
    So setting to go is medium.
    Overall barely visible, really an arguable design choice, 3D grass was so beautiful in AC and helped with speed perception and real world idea. Maybe was overdone but here is without doubt 2x underdone

LeDude83 and baboon like this.
  20. Coanda

Coanda Alien

@ziozeus - It seems to me by the log file the following UE4 commands are set to their max. I'd say they are using fairly standard grass however I could be completely wrong and no disrespect to the graphics artist.

foliage.DensityScale=1.0
    grass.DensityScale=1.0

acc_grass.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    LeDude83 likes this.
  21. Luciano Micale

Luciano Micale Simracer

guys crazy findings...shadows is best on high...yes high, not low or med, try it, on high setting gives more fps...is crazy but believe me and try it. Not epic,not med and not low...GO FOR HIGH!!!