1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Input lag

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by unknwn, Aug 11, 2019.

1. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Apparently UE has console command called "r.OneFrameThreadLag" which reminds of Nvidia "Maximum pre-rendered frames" setting. You can see full list of UE4 commands with descriptions in command library (click here).

r.OneFrameThreadLag:
    ACC appears to have this value ON by default (allow 1 frame lag).

ACC game performance comparison with "r.OneFrameThreadLag" value on/off below.
    ON (or no value set at all):
    200 FPS - no AI
    75 FPS - 29 AI
    OFF:
    164 FPS - no AI
    56 FPS - 29 AI

Tested on AMD 2700x CPU, HIGH graphics preset (to increase CPU load) but with 720p remove GPU bottleneck.

Performance results are the same regardless whether Maximum pre-rendered frames is set to 1 in Nvidia CP which probably indicates that NV cannot override this UE value.

Looking at performance levels it looks like the value actually works, however the important question is whether there is a noticeable input lag reduction as the performance price is quite high (especially with AI where CPU load is much higher).

It would be interesting that more people could test this UE setting especially if someone has a high FPS camera to compare a input lag.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    dek, Shooter80, LeDude83 and 4 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay Input Lag with with 4k 60Hz TV Dec 8, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Input lag with Fanatec DD1 on X-Box Series X Mar 21, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions G920 input lag Feb 20, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions T300RS Input Lag (solved in mind) Jul 29, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions X1X input lag Jul 5, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Logitech G920 Input Lag Fix Jun 26, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Т500rs input lag( Jun 24, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Input (graphic) Lag Jun 4, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Input lag in quick race but not practice / hotlap Oct 6, 2018
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Input lag at high fps, no vsync. Sep 13, 2018
    ACC Gameplay Input lag Sep 13, 2018
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec GT3RS v2 input lag Apr 25, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues CSW V2, fanatec f1 rim INPUT LAG/DELAY gear and lights Mar 23, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Microsoft sidewinder input lag Mar 1, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Project : minimizing input lag Part2 (AMD 470). Jan 6, 2017

3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Interesting. I have always set the RHI.MaximumFrameLatency=1 in the engine.ini. What is strange is r.OneFrameThreadLag is not showing in the log file with all the other rendering UE4 commands. Good find :)

Shooter80 and After_Midnight like this.
  4. Coanda

Coanda Alien

It is FPS taxing. With it off in SP I was 10-25 FPS lower. What I did notice though even though I had less FPS, my milliseconds per frame went up by 2-3. I thought this would be the other way around...

5. unknwn

unknwn Alien

If you have less FPS then your frame time will be higher. Frame time shows how long it takes to render a frame, however it doesn't take into account whether the frame rendering was delayed or not.
    Ideally to see whether this setting has influence on the input latency you should test it with same FPS (FPS limit).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Coanda likes this.
  6. So set it to 0 will decrease the input lag and eat more FPS and vice versa?

7. unknwn

unknwn Alien

In theory yes, however I have no evidence that it actually reduces the input lag.:)

After_Midnight likes this.
  8. At my system I need all FPS I can get :D

9. Shooter80

Shooter80 Racer

I like it. I put that r.OneFrameThreadLag=0 (and RHI.MaximumFrameLatency=1) in my Engine.ini* and my Max CPU/Thread usage in a low populated server went from around 50% to 65%.

I can't say for sure that there is any less input lag, but I'm still above the 90fps I need for VR, so I'll just choose to believe there is one frame less lag, and leave it that way.

Nice find, thanks for sharing.

10. dek

dek Racer

Nice find mate. Will try out today evening and report.

11. f_deutsch

f_deutsch Hardcore Simmer

Coanda likes this.
  12. Orcajavi

Orcajavi Racer

Interesting, where do I find the file to modify? What command should I enter exactly? Thank you

13. Coanda

Coanda Alien

like so...

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

[SystemSettings]
    r.OneFrameThreadLag=1

Doopy and Orcajavi like this.
  14. Shooter80

Shooter80 Racer

Ok, I take that back...

It was fine when there was only a few cars in a server, but handily 15mins before my league race last night I joined a server with 26 cars in it for a quick warm up and the performance was terrible. Max CPU/Thread usage was never above about 70% but the performance was pretty much undrivable (down at 45FPS+ASW, I think sometimes even below that). I jumped out, removed the setting(s*) from the Engine.ini and then did a whole race with 26 cars without a single problem or ever noticeably dropping below 90fps.

*Perhaps it was conflicting with some other settings that I'd added at the same time, so I'll need to test more to be certain, but I'll avoid this one for now.

Don't add this (or anything to your Engine.ini) unless you are sure you will remember to try removing it again if you have problems down the line.

15. D1visor

D1visor Alien

I have that folder but inside engine ini there's no system settings, just this:

[Core.System]
    Paths=../../../Engine/Content
    Paths=%GAMEDIR%Content
    Paths=../../../AC2/Plugins/FMODStudio/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Steam/SteamVR/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Oculus/OculusVR/Content
    Paths=../../../AC2/Plugins/ACShaders/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/2D/Paper2D/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Developer/AnimationSharing/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Editor/CryptoKeys/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Enterprise/DatasmithContent/Content
    Paths=../../../Engine/Plugins/Media/MediaCompositing/Content

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
    AudioDevice=Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

16. Coanda

Coanda Alien

just add it to the bottom..

17. D1visor

D1visor Alien

I'd just like to let everyone know that it appears it's the first person animation that's laggy. If you switch to a camera where you can see the driver and the wheel and move the mouse the response is super crisp.

18. Amine Zaer

Amine Zaer Rookie

Enable Full Screen and your input lag will disappear +/-

19. D1visor

D1visor Alien

Yeah, usually that's how it works, but not in acc ;). That said, I haven't tried it in recent updates and I also got a wheel.

20. pmgfrederico

pmgfrederico Gamer

Despite having an observed impact on FPS this Low latency UE4 topic seems to be tagged as XBox and PS4. All the examples revolve around 30 and 60fps which are values common to those platforms. It also seems that this console variable (CVar in UE lingo) in particular would be used in conjunction with a set of other variables to fulfil its purpose. But I would say that this would render the system a bit more unstable stuttering wise.

NVIDIA has recently introduced an Ultra Low Latency option for VSync users if that helps.

21. D1visor

D1visor Alien

I'd just like to add that as of recent, the mouse steering is seemingly improved and quite good to use. However, you need (at least I do) high framerate as the sensitivity and responsiveness (input lag or lack of it) seems to be linked to fps.