1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Nvidia Freestyle Filters comparison screenshot and settings

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Max Doubt, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

I've been playing with this over last few days and will probably adjust again when I next have a fresh look at it:confused:.
    Here are some settings I've settled on that improve the graphics a lot on my screen.

No filters -
    Assetto Corsa Competizione Screenshot 2019.08.28 - 20.15.45.53.png

Filters on - Assetto Corsa Competizione Screenshot 2019.08.28 - 20.15.31.42.png

Filter order and settings used -
    Desktop Screenshot 2019.08.28 - 20.23.10.67.png Desktop Screenshot 2019.08.28 - 20.23.32.16.png
    In game Image Customization settings used -
    Desktop Screenshot 2019.08.28 - 20.25.04.94.png

Coanda and LeDude83 like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions NVIDIA Freestyle Post Processing coming to ACC Apr 13, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game will not launch - stuck 'Initializing UI' when Nvidia surround is enabled. Jun 20, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Nvidia driver 531.68 issues. Apr 28, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality [ACC] [VR] [OpenXR] [OpenComposite] High-clarity settings for HP Reverb G2 on Nvidia RTX3080 Nov 12, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality nVidia 522.25: 5-10% performance boost on 3080 Oct 13, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Possible Nvidia dual drive causes fatal crash Oct 6, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4 Fatal Error Crash [nvwgf2umx.dll - nvidia drivers] Aug 25, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality NVIDIA 512.XX vs 516.XX Aug 11, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Windows11 + nvidia surround in game resolution issue Jun 17, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer [resolved - nvidia driver] Track-specific game freeze in both Single Player and Multiplayer Apr 13, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality NVIDIA performance overlay Mar 28, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting help needed acc will not start after game/ NVidia driver update Mar 24, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting return to menus and monitor blank - not optimum mode [Nvidia driver "feature"] Nov 27, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions New Nvidia Driver add DLSS to ACC Nov 16, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting F11 toggling full screen and framerate issue on nVidia Oct 29, 2021

3. esox71

esox71 Alien

Looks to me you've just made the blacks gray, or is there something I'm missing?

4. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Dunno, the file uploads or viewing device may not show these accurately.
    It takes about 5 minutes to test out if you have geforce experience. Enable experimental features then press alt + F3 in game and add the filters in order.
    Replays are a good way to tweak as they continue in real time.

5. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

If the artists/devs do a great job for default mode and there are enough ingame settings to play around with, then i feel like one does not need any filters whatsoever. I really prefer the looks of the game as is. I buy into the artists philosophy and what they want to achieve.
    I always compare with a visit to a 5star restaurant, the chef has a certain vision for the dishes, brings them out and then the guest starts pouring salt and pepper all over it.

Pulley likes this.
  6. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Nothing wrong with a bit of seasoning to taste, as long as you've tried the chef's dish.

alex bonner, kickers2k1 and LeDude83 like this.
  7. esox71

esox71 Alien

the thing is, screenshots always look super sharp but when I play it, it's blurry.

8. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Thanks for sharing. Max what are you pc specs and what was the performance hit with the filter on?

f_deutsch likes this.
  9. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

6700k(4,6GHz) w 1080ti.

I've run tests on the same 2.5 mins of a replay from the default external replay view, then my helmet cam view, with these filters on vs off.

FPS VALUES : Current : Min. : Max. : Avg. :
    FILTERS OFF HELMET CAM: FiltersOffInCar.JPG

FILTERS ON HELMET CAM: FilterOnInCar.JPG

FILTERS OFF EXTERNAL: filters off.JPG

FILTERS ON EXTERNAL: filters on.JPG

Coanda likes this.
  10. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Quite a hit in FPS. But that means that the filters actually do something. I'll make sure to try them. I wonder how they're supposed to help with blur, though - the blur occurs due to the temporal aspect of TAA. The blur in ACC is actually just ghosting. But if the old ghost pixels are very close to the current "true" pixels, it is perceived as blur. Don't really see how any sharpening filter could get rid of that.

But yeah...I shall try it for myself.

I think I like the contrast settings you chose. It looks better than the original pic you posted.

11. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Yeah it looks much clearer and 'real' - the settings available really let you fine tune the detail to achieve the best balance of sharpness vs jaggies for your screen and resolution. You can all but eliminate the blur, but in motion this shows too much aliasing.
    I use a 1080p screen, I think this was limiting to the amount of sharpening, clarity and film grain I could introduce. I'd like to hear from someone on 2K or 4K after testing.
    I would suggest anyone with at least 15% headroom on their frame rates give this a go.

12. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

I don't think it's that simple. I use TAA on a 1440p screen and it's pin sharp. The blurring seems to have something to do with screen resolution (or using triples) rather than using TAA. It would be interesting to see if it also had something to do with screen refresh rate.

13. esox71

esox71 Alien

make sure we don't get the trails behind cars and image blur confused.

14. Jacobs

Jacobs Racer

TAA is blurry mainly while entire camera is moving (looks like very weak motion blur) and KTAA is much better with that. Though it's much less noticeable on higher than 1080p resolution.

15. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

I am using TAA on epic on a 27" 1440 p monitor with 100 sharpness ingame settings (advanced sharpener off) and its perfectly fine. Motion Blur of course off.
    It's not as sharp as original Assetto Corsa with 4x MSAA or PCars 2 with Antialiasing on Ultra, i agree on that. Could ACC be sharper? Definitely.

esox71 likes this.
  16. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Pretty sure it's the same mechanism causing both of these symptoms.

17. esox71

esox71 Alien

yeah?

18. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

19. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Few more shots after fine tuning, trees at hungary in afternoon -

No filters
    Desktop Screenshot 2019.08.31 - 18.15.03.99.png

Filters On
    Desktop Screenshot 2019.08.31 - 18.14.53.01.png

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    LeDude83 likes this.
  20. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Filter looks good for a still shot. Curious max, what don't you like about the ACC advanced filter?

21. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Clarity and depth perception mainly for racing, it feels like cheating on battlefield.
    I can't believe how much better the trackside objects look, I hadn't noticed the roller coaster at nurburgring before :). I did a sunset race at spa going into night and it looked so good I was smiling. It seemed easier to judge in the headlights when dark too.