1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Any way to make the cockpits less claustrophobic?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by GCCRacer, Sep 5, 2019.

1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

Hi all,

Still pretty new to the game, I love most of it, but the main reason I'm not racing a lot more is that I haven't yet found a really satisfying cockpit view setup.

Compared to AC, the windscreens seem tiny and above everything is black. I've set a bit of negative pitch so I'm looking more down at the dashboard, but still...

It would for example help if the windscreen banner was translucent like the real thing. All that black on top is just... I dunno, somehow depressing?

Stepy likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions clickable cockpits Aug 30, 2019
    Console Lounge console, cockpits, and 3d printed addons Mar 3, 2019
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Oculus Rift cockpits get warped when looking around Jul 15, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Blurry Cockpits Feb 14, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Cockpits detalization Oct 22, 2014
    3D car models high res cockpits Jan 16, 2014

3. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

The 650S I think has quite a nice open cockpit.

romandevision, GCCRacer and LeDude83 like this.
  4. Turk

Turk Alien

What FOV are you using? It sounds like you have a very wide one. Find an FOV calculator and set it correctly and you shouldn't see any of that stuff.

DiRTMark, GCCRacer, tjr and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

If your FOV is already set correctly, it may help to set the seat a bit forward, so more of your monitor is windscreen.

DiRTMark, GCCRacer and LeDude83 like this.
  6. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

In my opinion the visuals are the problem of this game. I can't use the same view for all cars. For some cars the helmet cam is perfect (ex. Ferrari, bmw, lambo). For other cars I need the dash cam (ex. Aston). The problem is that for each car I have to switch between cams (and I would like not to have 4 external cams). Each cam has its pros and cons: i like the roll of helmet cam but for some cars the shake is too strong (ex. Audi). The dash cam is good but too stable. The first "inside visual" is similar to the "helmet" but without movement (to me the "look.w.wheel" does not work). So a "dash" with the roll, or a "helmet" with hyde-wheel .. It would be enough to have only one internal view with all the options: movements, pitch, roll, distance, hide/see steering wheel ... and so on. So every car would have its saved view without having to look for it every time. IMO

Tkeg likes this.
  7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

I want to see the left edge of the windscreen, and at least the middle mirror or monitor without turning my head. All the FOV calculators are just too narrow a view for what I can personally drive well with.

I already moved the seat forward and the view angle downward to try for a somewhat 50/50 split of cockpit/dash and windscreen, with as little roof/banner on top as possible.

Still, if at least we could edit the banners to make them translucent. It wouldn't actually help while driving, but it would make the cockpit appear "lighter".

8. Turk

Turk Alien

I can understand that, I don't have this issue because I'm using VR, but not using a correct FOV could have other effects that will affect your over all pace. Generally if people can get used to a correct FOV it improves their driving.

What I used to do is get the monitor right up to the back of the wheel so it's as close as possible.

DiRTMark, Coanda, LeiF and 2 others like this.
  9. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Yep, this is good advice. Get your monitor as close to your wheel as possible and persevere with a correct FOV. It took me some time to adjust to this (I used, like you, to adjust the FOV so that I could see what I wanted in the cockpit) but once you have, there is no going back.

Stains and LeiF like this.
  10. Nev Roberts

Nev Roberts Racer

It would be nice to be able to remove the safety net webbing [particularly for the McLaren] as it obstructs the side mirrors. With my triple 27'' monitors. I've tried all sorts of combinations of FOV, Height, distance and pitch but they still get in the way.

11. Coanda

Coanda Alien

As silly as this sounds there are some cars I don't drive in a race because the netting covers the LHS mirror.

12. LucaBenj

LucaBenj Racer

The problem is that the game offers too many options for piloting, in this case. I like the iracing policy, which puts all players on an equal footing, so as not to provide unnecessary benefits to someone not interested in the simulation: the exclusive driving from the cockpit. In reality, you drive from inside the car, with all that this entails in terms of visibility of the track. It's an oboe to me to be able to lift the seat to improve the point of view. It's as if in reality the driver travels those 20, 30 centimetres higher with a cushion under his seat, compromising the whole centre of gravity and the dynamics of the car.

Olivier Boissel and Pekka like this.
  13. Stains

Stains Simracer

I cant much of any mirrors or monitors from my FOV, I use the helicorsa style app in conjunction with look left/right/back to get my position in relation to the other cars.
    I loaded up each car one by one and set the seat position the same for each using the same part on track, some cars are not as nice to see from but they offer a different prospective and challenge. Saying that, I do find myself driving the same cars mostly (Merc and Lexus) but that's mostly because of their sound not the view ;)
    Im a single 40" 4k monitor player with 38 degree FOV.

14. Turk

Turk Alien

That's why I like the Bentley, it's visibility is incredible compared to other cars, the centre mirror is huge. I don't know how people race Lamborghini's you can't see **** that's happening from the front door back.

Coanda likes this.
  15. Coanda

Coanda Alien

The Bentley is nice. The only thing I don't like is the dual rear view mirrors. I would prefer to switch the lower electronic one off. Oh well you can;t win them all..

16. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Never trust in fov calculator... one of the best thing in simulation is a "personal" immersion ingame. I have single "24, my fov should be about 38... i drive at 50. If you found sensation you are looking for it's ok. For me for ex is very important roll mouvement, if i have i drive better.

17. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

I dunno. I race (or fly) on the PC to immerse myself in the experience of sitting in a car (or plane). Since I run a single 43" 4K screen I do need to narrow it down (compared to a triple setup that would give more pheripheral vision).

I found nothing wrong with the GT3 cockpits in AC at a similar FOV, compared to them most of the ACC cars to me feel like driving them trough a Knight's Visor slit (no, I'm not using helmet cam :p). Like I said I do believe it's mostly because of the pure black windshield banner on top, which I'd really like to see adapted as the actual cars have it.

18. Turk

Turk Alien

That's fine but when I was on a single screen I found that I could place the car more accurately with correct FOV, even with the smaller window.

It's actually not much better in VR, some GT cars have terrible visibility, it's a trend in modern race cars, tiny cockpits and poor visibility. It's something that real drivers would have to deal with too.

I'm not too much into making everything comfortable and "the way I like it", you don't get to do that in the real world, you just have to live with a drawbacks of modern race cars.

19. Tkeg

Tkeg Gamer

Why are the outside cameras even a thing in a simracing title? 99.9% of the drivers don't use them and it's a pain to cycle through them every time you want to go switch from cockpit to dashboard.
    To come back on OP's point, I also feel you cannot achieve the same view than in AC's GT3 no matter how many settings you change.

nrc689 likes this.
  20. Anthonyl

Anthonyl Racer

Open the window?

GCCRacer likes this.
  21. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Totally agree. It was a great thing the possibility to assign the type of cam you want on "cycle" toggle. And the others on keyboard...