1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Unreal

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by el_goe, Sep 13, 2018.

1. no it's not :D

The NAME "Unreal Engine" has been around for ages but the tech has nothing to do with whatever was in the first Unreal games.
    It's like saying "ACC is 19 years old because in 2001 Kunos started netKar". :p

Vel, Ernie, Fremen_78 and 7 others like this.
  2. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Matter of interpretation...
    The first Unreal engine showed up with The original Unreal FPS in 98.

So I’m sticking to it being born 21 years ago... :)

3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Of course not, it's 18 years old silly.. :p:D

4. McGraw

McGraw Racer

How old is Microsoft Windows?

Racert46 likes this.
  5. Coanda

Coanda Alien

It makes sense why Kunos partnered up with Epic. That said I am firm believer in, if want to get sh!t done properly best to do it yourself..

6. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Why stick with an engine that has its limitations for which you have to rely on 3rd parties when you have the knowledge and capabilities to design your own engine?
    I'm still running Windows 95 by that logic.

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  7. Rudski

Rudski Alien

The whole point here is nothing was refined. Original doom was not refined to the product we have now. Totally new technology, the group of people who built todays Doom based it on none of the technology that was used in original doom (possibly mouse use in an FPS, if you want to be a stickler?), except the marketing. As far as the current Doom team is concerned, original Doom never existed. The product you see today is based on totally new tech.
    Example of refinement would be something like this, the Ford engine used 40 years ago has been slowly refined to the product we have today, sure, if you directly compare something from the 1940's and todays engine they would look alien, but with perspective, that engine from the 1920's has been slowly refined, year by year to the product you see today.

edit: maybe my examples suck, I guess you could argue it both ways, in a way...

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  8. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Refined is probably not the best word, over a time line that long there’s nothing of the original left but it didn’t get there overnight.
    V1 starts, V2 built on it with lessons learned from v1 and some things cary over and get improved, V3 builds from V2, etc, etc.. By the time you get a fair few years and versions down the road there’s nothing from the original left in the latest, but it doesn’t make the original or any versions in between any less significant.

9. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

Longer than that then as Epic were working on Unreal (engine) for at least three years prior to the games release, i know, i was there ;)

Edit: "Sweeney began writing the engine in 1995 for the production of a game that would later become a first-person shooter known as Unreal."

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    SylverFyre, bgil66, GCCRacer and 3 others like this.
  10. Metzger

Metzger Racer

But you and all Kunos team likely learned a lot from netKar, which helped in creating AC, which lead to ACC and Kunos knows what will be the next gem :)
    In any case, you know best what to do in the future, so not sure how usable such threads are anyway :)

11. Turk

Turk Alien

I have the knowledge to make a cake, that doesn't mean I'll make a good cake or that it's even worth the effort when I can buy a cake I know is good in the shop for half the price it would cost me to just buy the ingredients.

Businesses are always outsourcing to other companies that have more expertise or experience in a particular field. It's daunting to face challenges you haven't really faced before, and then have to bet the farm on something your not sure on. Kunos have moved on a lot from the days of NetKar, they have new customers with different demands. They made the smartest move they could make at the time, it wasn't a complete win, but it wasn't a complete disaster either. They still made one hell of a sim.

Even with the shortfalls I don't think they made the wrong decision, it was probably the right move at the time and it may still be the right move, we're really in no position to say either way.

Perell0ne, aotto1977, warth0g and 4 others like this.
  12. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

We've seen with AC1 that Kunos can make a good cake.

I've read comments from Aris where he mentions they want to push simulation further. If you're stuck with an engine that, in some ways, limits your capabilities of doing so, why stick with it?

Like Marco mentioned in the interview, they don't only want to create a product, they want to create technology aswell. I think Kunos has proven already that they're capable of pushing the limits of race-simulation. Why should they limit themselves to the use of a 3rd party engine, meaning some aspects of what can be accomplished is out of their hands?

I personally don't mind UE, on my computer it runs fairly decent and it looks amazing, but mainly the driving experience is what makes ACC outstanding in my opinion.
    I just hope they take the liberty to basically start from scratch with a new, self-designed engine of which they have full control and doesn't limit their capabilities.

13. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

I think we would all like that, but how long would it take to get to this standard?
    Unreal has taken a LOT of years to get where it is now and its still not perfect (according to some), so don't expect Kunos to get to something better than Unreal within a year or 10.

On a side note, the original Unreal game scared the pants off me, that part when the lights went off one by on in corridor.

14. why stop there?

It started when Sweeney went for the first time to primary school to learn about summing 2 numbers.
    :p

SylverFyre, Tim Larsen, rycil and 8 others like this.
  15. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

The drawbacks for the moment in UE4 are as follows:

-Triple Screen support
    -Shadow popping in/out near car (something madness engine had as well)
    -Heavy performance requirements (mirrors take a lot of HP and still look terrible)
    -VR clarity (i blame the TAA for this, but perhaps there are other factors)
    -Distance clarity (TAA?)

Right now it's the only major sim title that doesn't support triples and that has a really poor VR experience either due to performance requirements or clarity (for me it's the clarity that bothers me). If those things aren't resolved shortly, I think Kunos should consider moving on. We can argue that triples and VR are niche but it's a requirement for the high end sim enthusiast crowd that goes beyond a basic single screen and G27 wheel.

Fear and Psit like this.
  16. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

Haha :D

17. Turk

Turk Alien

I would imagine its for the same reason any company makes any decision, money. I'd imagine tweaking off the shelf software is considerably cheaper than making something from scratch. It could be that it allowed them to focus mostly on physics and gaming mechanics. Maybe they will come out of ACC and feel like they can focus less on physics and game mechanics in the future because they've done the hard work in ACC, so can now focus on doing their own version of what UE did for them. But look at how long it took to make ACC even with UE reducing their work load, if they have to include programming the graphics engine too it's going to require more work hours.

It nearly always comes down to money in the end, that dictates what you can and can't do.

18. esox71

esox71 Alien

You don't need VR to see what a blurry mess some games are nowadays.
    I need absolute clarity on any screen, nevermind VR, that I gave up on due to it not being clear enough even on none blurry games, so UE must be unplayable for VR.

19. Turk

Turk Alien

It's not. I'm on a 1070 card and I can get it to run between 45 and 90FPS. It's not great looking but it's playable. The replays don't look good though, lots of ghosting and what seams like missed frames.

20. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I don't know if you saw the interview with Marco, but he said they aren't sure if they will continue using UE because they want to create not only products but also technology. If he thinks they can do it, money probably isn't the issue holding them back.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.