1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Unreal

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by el_goe, Sep 13, 2018.

1. cooknn

cooknn Alien

Back in the days of Grand Prix Legends we used to race with a female - and she was fast - Alison Hine (Eagle Woman). She definitely added a great dynamic to the entire experience. Back on topic, I think it's amazing how far racing simulations have come since those days. Specifically with the release of ACC on UE4. This title has features we only dreamed of back then. The other day I was running around Spa on a partly sunny afternoon and all of a sudden the sky started to get darker, then it started to rain. It was glorious :eek:

rycil, tjr and Coanda like this.
  2. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Not seeing any.
    No rain coming down, nothing on the windscreen.

3. DuckeyTapey

DuckeyTapey Hardcore Simmer

Does it only happen during storm? Does it only happen in VR? Are you using custom settings in engine.ini?

Thug likes this.
  4. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

I only play in vr so not sure about 2d.
    Only tried Storm too.
    You might have a point about custom settings though. I did download an engine.ini so will have a look at that.

5. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Can we please have a look?

6. lottalava

lottalava Racer

I really liked Kunos work with Unreal Engine, it need some improvements about VR, but overall the game is amazing!

LeDude83 and anthonylroy like this.
  7. Arturas M

Arturas M Rookie

Let's see where they can get with the unreal engine. Basically the graphics have the potential to be really good, that is probably if you are using a small 4k monitor and have a PC from the future which isn't available to the consumer market right now.

Other than that, don't' know about triples, but in VR the graphics are very poor, everything is jagged. If you do temporal AA, then you have to increase sharpness, which looks then somewhat acceptable, but you can't say that the graphics are good. Needless to say, the graphics are better in AC1 and much better in Project Cars 2 cause of the anti aliasing and less resource hungry

There is also a bit of input lag for me, but I will see if I can reduce the number of prebuffered frames in NVidia CP and whether that solves the problem

8. chakko

chakko Alien

Which sim is that exactly?

Pictures or it didn't happen. If you mean iRacing, as far as i know, there is no way to view how many players are actually driving, just how many are logged into the members website.

LeDude83 likes this.
  9. Rioku

Rioku Racer

In the thread i see only 2 options:

- Continue with UE
    - Drop and devolop a new one

But theres a third one, like Escape from Tarkov developers did, and that option is work together with UE devolopers to improve actual engine for what ACC needs.

10. Psit

Psit Alien

Tarkov is not using UE4, but i get what u are saying.
    I think they have tried to talk to them, not sure what happened.

11. lottalava

lottalava Racer

I think the best to do is work together with UE4 developer to improve the engine with VR.

12. esox71

esox71 Alien

VR doesn't look like that, only in videos, really bugs me, why don't they show the real quality.

LeDude83 likes this.
  13. nox67

nox67 Rookie

it is true that I am also quite disappointed with the rendering in VR

For me I expected to have something as clean if not better than the previous assetto corsa :-(

14. lottalava

lottalava Racer

The guy in the video, explain we need the correct assets and tools to make the textures look that good.

15. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Not a excuse from our part, but just some facts.
    Unreal has both forward and deferred engine. The deferred gfx engine that we use, permits us to have more dynamic light effects and many of our shaders are made to work on that. Unfortunately on a deferred engine the MSAA antialias method which gives more clarity, is simply not possible.

Many of the "demos" that you see, use the forward engine with precalculated/prerendered light maps, prerendered ambient occlusion and so on. They also permit the use of MSAA which again gives great clarity and also, we're talking in the above example about a house and not a full blown circuit.

On top of that, add that in a racing sim everything moves with acceleration and at speeds anywhere between 0 to 290kmh... It's "easy" to try to eliminate the temporal antialias ghosting when you have 2 speeds... walking and running. It's a bit different where you are always in acceleration in all 3 axis.

So, many of the examples you see, are practically a different engine. Yes unreal, but a completely different rendering engine that permits different results. We wanted full dynamic 24 hours and rain and everything. We got it and also some disadvantages with it. Still trying hard though

16. Serge M

Serge M Alien

@Aristotelis
    Is it fair to assume that a high enough resolution VR headset would make AA redundant at which point the type of rendering for clarity won’t matter any more or is there something else that would cause issues here?

17. Aristotelis

Although I'm not a graphics expert, I would assume yes. But consider this. Amazing programming geniouses work hard to make advanced antialias methods. It's safe to assume that any modern antialias is much better in performance than any "virtual resolution and real time scaling down"... but then again, as I said, what do I know :oops:

Rioku and Serge M like this.
  18. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I know that VR and triple users have more issues than 2D screen users. On a 2D screen, ACC looks very good. It doesn't even take a crazy expensive GPU for that - the 2060 does the job very well, according to the GPU benchmark thread. The price tag is quite friendly and it will even allow for some increase in screen resolution.

There are games out there - even by bigger studios - that can't reach ACC. The current F1 is pretty blurry AFAIK and I just installed COD WW2. This franchise is huge but still the visuals are blurry.

Even when I fire up AC, I see the advanteages of ACC right away. Many critics bring a good portion of nostalgia to the debate that wouldn't really pass a reality check.

Also, I recently took a very close look at WOT's aliasing and I was surprised to see it not being too good, at all. But in a game where things move pretty slowly, you just don't notice.

Keep it up. ACC is in a much better shape than the vocal minority makes it sound like.

Freddie Seng, warth0g and MNFRMTMRRW like this.
  19. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify though, I was referring to real resolution that will inevitably come with later VR headsets in the future and not supersampling

20. Aristotelis

Ah... then I know even less, sorry :)