1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CPU Usage Warning

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Eric D, Mar 8, 2019.

1. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I couldn't find "that one setting" which would reduce CPU load up to the point where you don't have this "high CPU load microstutter", anymore. At least not without making the image much worse than what your GPU can do. Does that make any sense?
    Example: even when I reduced everything to "mid" and my Vega 64 would push 120 FPs, there could still be scenarios where the CPU bottlenecked to a lower FPS value and this is when you get the microstutter.

After_Midnight and mister dog like this.
  2. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Are you sure it’s CPU and not GPU/driver issue? Your CPU has more power then mine and I have no issues in VR which is a fair bit more demanding. My only stutter is when people join the server I’m in, this is a known issue. Hard to imagine a scenario where a Vega 64 is waiting on that CPU, would think more the other way around

LeDude83 likes this.
  3. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Hehe...I upgraded to the 8700 just a couple of days ago. I was referring to the situation with the "old" 7600K. With the 8700, this issue is gone. You are right that the CPU (8700) is now "waiting" for the GPU, all the time. This causes a much, much smoother image.

And the stutter on join/texture memory load/texture memory release is another issue - a known one as you say.

Serge M and After_Midnight like this.
  4. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

I have upgraded from an I5 7600K to I7 7700K this morning, only had a chance for a quick test but straight away I've gone from a max 15 AI to bing able to run a full grid at a smooth and solid 60FPS.

I'm surprised that the full grid is not really stressing my GTX 1060 that much at 1440 and mediumish graphic settings so the CPU was a major bottleneck before.....I have RTX 2070 waiting to go in (just waiting for an 8 pin power cable to arrive) so hoping I'll be able to push it to 4K

PS as a complete technophobe I'm amazed I managed to do this without breaking my PC, so if anyone is sitting on the fence about upgrading their CPU, if they have the cash I'd recommend it.

5. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

I have an i5 8600k o/c to 43x6 and I can comfortably run a full grid too.

mike reynolds likes this.
  6. Jakkison

Jakkison Gamer

I hope you will be luckier than me because with i5 9600k and msi rtx 2070 gaming I cant play 4K even on medium settings. Just 2K

7. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

That is pretty surprising. I run triples 5860x1080 with a 1070 and I am running medium to high with reasonable performance.
    There’s a separate thread for discussing graphics settings.

I recently discovered selecting a rendering resolution at 90% and then enabling temporal upsampling helps with quality

Shadows are pretty heavy: anything more than Mid seems to tax the system more than I imagined.

8. mike reynolds

Installed the 2070 now, I can get 4K @ 60fps with AA epic, shadows and PP med and a few compromises elsewhere... will run a full grid in daylight with no probs and just a couple of blips during the start at night....yet to try the night/rain combo

9. dek

dek Racer

I would wait until V 1.0 before buying some Hardware. EA is not showing full potential. If you buy to soon you buy twice or didnt have to...

mister dog likes this.
  10. mike reynolds

I've been telling myself that for 6 months but just couldn't hang on any longer!

dek likes this.
  11. Jakkison

Jakkison Gamer

will try...

that's impressive. Can you post your settings pls?

12. mike reynolds

Here you go.....TBH I could turn down AA to (high which seems fine on 4K) and up some of the other lower impact settings

Settings1.PNG Setings 2.PNG

13. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

Why do you have temporal upsampling enabled? I guess it won’t do anything in your case but just wondering if that’s the previously hidden default.
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/ScreenPercentage

Would be interesting to know about viewing distance set to high or epic.
    Also effects high is better in the wet than mid since you get reflections from puddles.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  14. mike reynolds

I've not changed it for the new GPU, but with the old one I seemed to get odd flashes with it disabled...don't really know what it does TBH....

from what I've seen most settings (AA aside) the biggest graphical gain (and performance hit) seems to come from moving from Low to Mid

15. Jakkison

Jakkison Gamer

Thanks for the pic, Mike. Will try asap and let you know :)

16. fnegroni

fnegroni Racer

Yeah, the Temporal Upsampling seems to fix the occasional flashing. Keep it enabled! :thumbsup:

On the other hand, the reason why the biggest hit is moving any setting from Low to Mid is rather simple: my understanding is that the Unreal Engine prefers to group several graphical items together, so the pipeline is optimised for a certain minimum FPS without being hit too hard when the quality is raised: see https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/how-to-improve-frame-rate-through-video-settings

In particular, in the game, Low effectively means Disabled for most effects and post processing (even shadows to some extent)
    See this:
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/engine/performance/scalability/scalabilityreference

For example I wish I could have the option to choose whether to have ambient occlusion OR depth of field, instead of both!

17. marius00

marius00 Rookie

I noticed it started appearing when I turned on post processing to high. I run ACC in 4K at 60fps and it runs fine but obviously my pc is telling me "I am working real hard bro".

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  18. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Try post processing on Epic, for whatever reason I get a lot more performance on Epic then High. I run VR so monitoring with Oculus debug tool

19. dave967

dave967 Racer

Ive raced in servers that have 25 plus players and never get the message. Then I've raced in servers that have 10 racers and it shows. I experience no ill effects when its on. So I just focus intensely on the race rather then the message. It may have something to do with the quality of the server your on as the other stats in that same window show quality of service and ping and latency..

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  20. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

After_Midnight likes this.