1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Test Track with Skidpad

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by sonicviz, Oct 13, 2019.

1. sonicviz

sonicviz Gamer

I said Skid pad and/or test track. Ideally a skid pad is part of a well designed test track.

Just because one game doesn't have it doesn't mean it's not viable.
    It's a competitive area, and WRC 8 has raised the design benchmark by including an extensive system of training tracks (and also borrowing the F1 career game component too).
    Any smart designer would be looking at that.

2. sonicviz

sonicviz Gamer

lol. It's all racing. Trying to say otherwise is just ridiculous. Feel free to die on that hill though!

3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Again Rally does not compare to GT3. It makes more sense to have it in a Rally Game/Sim..

4. sonicviz

sonicviz Gamer

You fail to look at it from the perspective of someone who's not an expert driver and needs to learn car control from the ground up.

That most certainly applies to any style of racing, including GT3.

Making the game more beginner friendly to aid the learning curve isn't dumbing it down, it's making applicable to a potentially wider audience as they can climb a learning curve better - which is smart business.

Aren't you people all whinging about how there aren't enough people playing online?
    If you want to "git gud" there's better ways of doing it than just telling people to "git gud"

5. Coanda

Coanda Alien

see you I now have real testing to do.. enjoy your circle work at PR.. ;)

6. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Rally is a different ball game to GT racing.
    GT racing is in the main flat tarmac tracks, where you need to point your nose in the direction you are going, by braking and accelerating.
    Rally requires a completely different discipline, where its a mixture of tarmac, gravel, dirt, snow, ice, sand, etc tracks, with varying elevations of varying degrees which range from smooth to very rough and you may point the side of the car in the direction you are wanting to go by using flicks of the wheel, the handbrake, as well as the brake and accelerator.
    Where I agree both require practice (lots of it), there is possibly more to learn when it comes to rallying.

That's not to say a test track on ACC wouldn't be useful.
    Its just that practicing GT racing is relatively safe on any track as they are purposefully made with safety in mind, and if you go off track you end up in the gravel and you and your car are more than likely ok to carry on.
    Where rallying isn't so easy to practice on a course, because if you go off course you hit a tree, your car is totalled and you die, so the requirements for a test track are more important (IRL).
    Having said that, both are safe sat behind your PC.

m_box97 and sonicviz like this.
  7. sonicviz

sonicviz Gamer

I'm sure there are some real pro racers who look down on budding race enthusiasts like you much as you appear to condescendingly look down on noob simracers.
    Somehow I highly doubt you are going to win the Blancpain championship in RL, not matter how much you puff your chest out.

It's a game dude, and if it's provided with the right training tools people can learn and enjoy it faster. It's as simple as that.

8. sonicviz

sonicviz Gamer

I agree with you, but the point of a well-designed test track is you can iterate faster on specific training scenarios.
    That means you can fit more training into the same amount of time, and with good feedback and critical analysis you learn a lot faster.
    Then you can go and apply those results in practice, and eventually in a real race.

Too many games don't respect the players time and miss this critical design point. Kudo's to WRC 8 devs for going the extra mile/km in recognising that.

9. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

I cannot understand why one would require a skid pad etc ?
    I mean if you want to do lots of practice then do it on actual tracks.
    It is literally impossible to learn car behaviour JUST by going in circles or skid pad just as i said earlier every track is DIFFERENT and requires DIFFERENT setups.
    In short, just go in hotlap mode and drive the sh*t outta the track that is bothering you as simple as that.

Winston, MTv, tjr and 1 other person like this.
  10. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

Yep Paul Ricard was conceived as a test track, this is your opportunity to use it as one :)

m_box97 likes this.
  11. sonicviz

sonicviz Gamer

The point of a well-designed test track (which includes a skidpad but is not limited to that) is you can iterate faster on specific training scenarios.
    That means you can fit more training into the same amount of time, and with good feedback and critical analysis you learn a lot faster.

A skidpad specifically allows you to understand understeer and oversteer in a controlled environment much faster, and to train the ability to ride the edge of it.

Then you can go and apply those results in practice on a track, and eventually in a real race.

Training is about efficiency and breaking things down to focus on specific skills.
    Having environments set up to facilitate that is extremely helpful.

What I don't understand is why anyone would object to making something easier and faster to learn.

12. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

Ok, ok.
    What about Nordschleife. Isn't it the perfect skid pad?

13. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

Seriously. I think skid pad make sence in real life where we can learn some driving basics and tactics without desnecessary dangers and bad consequences.

14. sonicviz

sonicviz Gamer

You can't use it as ACC teleports you to the Pits if you go the wrong way, which makes it useless as a test track.
    But it does look like a great test track.
    It should be *reasonably* easy for ACC to create another version of it that's open to test with. A nice real time weather change slider would be a great bonus.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  15. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Who's you people? I certainly do not. There is enough online activity for me.

Sorry I don't understand. I don't speek silly gen alpha internet talk..

I don't look down on anyone. You don't know me. Everyone is welcome here. As previously mentioned I would prefer the resources to go into the upcoming content. You have an option to do what you want today. If that is not good enough for you and you feel you need more tools to learn how to drive then buy a game with a skid pad. Problem solved.

Winston and Dufloth like this.
  16. sonicviz

sonicviz Gamer

You are being disingenuous. You know full well the whole point is to have a test track for the cars in ACC.

I wish you well in your real life racing career. Lets us know when you're up there with the big boys n' girls.

17. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

I really do not understand why you would need a specific track to learn?
    GT3s are no drift cars so you don't need to drive in circles to understand oversteer and understeer, the grip limit is subtle and you will find it just by driving the tracks we have.
    What you really need to learn are (especially for GT cars imo) racing lines ,managing weight transfer and braking. Paul Richard is great, you have late apexes, double apexes, fast and slow corners and no gravel/grass to slow you down if you mess up so you don't lose any precious time. Regarding weather is quitting and changing weather that big of a deal that you need a feature to change it in the session?

Winston and Coanda like this.
  18. sonicviz

sonicviz Gamer

For the third time:

The point of a well-designed test track (which includes a skidpad but is not limited to that) is you can iterate faster on specific training scenarios.
    PC is great, but it's a full track. That's not what test tracks are about.

What's so hard to understand about that?

19. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

The point is that yes, for the 0,01 percent of people who might enjoy making their own "test program" on a specific test track, your request would enhance the game. For the other 99,99 percent, they manage just fine to learn on the actual tracks available, so the developer time can go somewhere more generally needed.

Paul Ricard is actually designed to offer a wide variety of corners, because it's an actual real life test circuit. The only thing missing from your request is the skidpad, and I dare say you would in actual fact spend less hours on the skidpad than the people creating it would.

20. Dufloth

Dufloth Racer

Stop whining and just test at the track.

It’s simpler, easier, faster. Absolutely no-brainer.

Rober and Coanda like this.