1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

New to sim racing will this PC build be sufficient?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Fishfirefly, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

Hello everyone! I recently went and drove a racing simulator at richmotech here in Miami and I want one! First things first I need a pc and I am looking into having one built. I’m going to list the following specs and would love to hear if this will be sufficient? I plan on buy a next level dd wheel stand and using this in my living room on the couch or maybe using it with a desk chair. If I really get into this which I think it’s a no brainer for me because I have just recently gotten into the Karting hobby as well. Here are the specs let me know what you think and thank you!

CPU - Intel Core i5 9400F 2.9GHz - 4.1GHz Boost 6 Cores / 6 Threads
    Mobo - CyberPowerPC B360-10 mATX LGA 1151
    Memory - Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4
    Storage SSD - Western Digital Green 120GB
    Storage HDD - Western Digital Blue 1TB 7,200RPM
    Video Card - Nvidia Geforce EVGA GTX 1060 6GB FTW+ ACX 3.0
    Case - Rexgear 2 mATX Cube Tower
    Power Supply - EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze
    Operating System - Windows 10 Home FULL OEM
    Fans - (1) 140mm, (1) 140mm Corsair RED, (1) 200mm RED
    EXTRA - 2x RGB LED Strip w/ Remote-Control

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] Nordschleife Trophy | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Apr 7, 2024
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT3 - USA Sprints | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Nov 7, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT4 - World Sprints | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Oct 8, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT3 - Euro Sprints #2 | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Sep 6, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT4 - Euro Sprints #2 | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Aug 9, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Virtual TechArt GTstreet R now available for racing simulation Assetto Corsa Jun 29, 2023
    Online Leagues / Championships room [SimRacing-GP.net] Pagani Zonda R - Sprint Series | Thursdays Jun 4, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room FDSR - Final Drive Sim Racing May 26, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT4 - Europe Sprint Series | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Feb 28, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT3 - Europe Sprint Series | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Jan 28, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT4 - Sprint Series | Fridays [SimRacing-GP.net] Oct 8, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Formula Hybrid 2022 sim racing league starting soon! Sep 1, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Formula Hybrid 2022 sim racing league starting soon! Sep 1, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room [SimRacing-GP.net] IER Corvette DP - Sprint Series | Fridays Aug 3, 2022
    ACC Tools SimRacing Management System Jul 16, 2022

3. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

4. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

Thank you I appreciate the info. I have a friend of a friend building this for me and this is what he recommended after he did some research, I don’t think he’s built a pc specific to sim racing.

5. Ecnelis

Ecnelis Alien

You should be fine with that spec... generally. What kind of display and resolution are you going to use (single screen, triple, VR)? And what do you mean by "sufficient"? Are those fans for the case only? Where's the CPU's fan/radiator?

ACC in Early Access was running pretty well even on my old PC with i5-2500, 970 GTX @ 1920x1080px and 8 GB RAM with low/med graphic settings and up to 15-20 AI cars. Now, after 1.1 update, we can place 48 AI cars at Spa-Francorchamps grid - and it devours the CPU power (my i5-9600K is struggling). And now you can place up to 80 cars at the grid in multiplayer!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  6. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

I’ve been thinking of going vr just because I can save on space and not have to buy a monitor

7. Coanda

Coanda Alien

welcome to ACC.. :)

Are you maxed on your budget?

Whilst mATX is cute, it really can box you into a corner for future builds or upgrades. ACC is pretty thirsty for CPU & GPU power particulalry if you run with high opponent numbers. I would up those hardware pieces particularly as you plan to run VR. 120 GB SSD wont do much. A game or two and your done.. 120GB SSD is good for OS installs. Many people like myself are selling good quality 1080 ti as they want to upgrade to a 2080 ti. I would look for one of those if you can..

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  8. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

Earlier today I spoke to Jeff with FEG.I felt very comfortable speaking to him and he’s going to help me get setup on a pc that I can run VR with and also is helping me out with getting me a wheel and pedals in my budget so I can get started asap. The specs I had were put together by a friend of a friend who is a pc gamer but doesn’t sim race. He was willing to help me out but I might go with Jeff from FEG even if I have to pay a bit more but I’m sure his assistance will be well worth it.

9. romandevision

romandevision Simracer

ACC is now more optimized than before, but what you have written is not enough.

My system:
    Ryzen 2600x
    RTX 2070

This is not enough - in the rain starts stuttering (high and maximum settings, 1440p, glass low, tree low).

10. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

Your proposed system would probably run successfully at 1080p but would probably struggle at high settings with anything above that (particularly 4k). I would forget VR with those specs as ACC is very demanding. As Coanda said, I'd avoid mATX as its just not very flexible and cooling is generally more of an issue. Get the biggest case you can fit in your space - much easier to work in and upgrade.

11. Serge M

Serge M Alien

There really isn’t such a thing as “sufficient” in sim racing, that kind of applies to all the sims. The general rule is go for the fastest single core performance CPU you can get, 16GB of mid/fast ram and the most powerful GPU your budget allows. Even a 2080Ti won’t max the settings so it’s more a case of less sacrifices the higher spec you go.

sissydriver likes this.
  12. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

Ok since my specs won’t be enough for VR can someone recommend a full build? As far as a budget I would love to stay in the $7-800 range but it doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen. If I have to wait a little longer and save some more pennies I have no problem with that.

13. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Start saving boy.. A GPU is more than that..

14. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

Yes I understand my initial budget isn’t going to work and I’m ok with that I just gotta figure out how to hide what I’m spending to the boss (wife). Here’s the build FEG sent me a quote for. Says I will have no problem using an oculus rift s and it will run at max FPS 80 fps.

I5 9600KF @4.7-5.2, Liquid Cooled Nvidia GTX 1660 Super OC
    16GB DDR4 Ram
    Z390 Motherboard
    120gb SSD Drive
    1TB Hard Drive
    Liquid Radiator/Dual Chamber Pump Premium Case
    Premium Power Supply
    Windows 10 Pro

15. Serge M

Serge M Alien

With Black Friday right around the corner I would wait for that and be prepared to jump on good deals.

Look for 9600kf, 16GB RAM at 3200Mhz or higher. Ideally NVME SSD as big as you can (these generally get quiet cheap on Black Friday), don’t worry about the HDD, just go big SSD (500GB+)

Where abouts are you and what currency are you buying in?

16. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

I am in the US

17. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Statements regarding FPS are very subjective as ACC settings will play a big part here. Just be careful with these types of quotations. They can be rather broad whereby they don't list the the model of each hardware part. I would want to know exactly what the motherboard is and what is the RAM speed and timings etc.. I would keep the 1 TB mechanical drive for movies/photos and invest in a sizable SSD for gaming. Depending on your games library should determine what you need. I would also question the need for a open loop liquid cooling solution. Do you really need it or is for the "it looks cool" factor.. With open loops you need some knowledge. I mean do you or the builder know anything about galvanic corrosion? Things I would be asking about is what metal is the radiator and fittings made out of? Are you running flexible or rigid tubing? What coolant do you plan to use? What is your warranty and does it cover galvanic corrosion on the water block?

Personally if it was me I would save a few more dollars (as you said this was an option), consider dropping the liquid cooling and use that money to put some more grunt under the hood. ACC will appreciate it and you have to be mindful of the future.

good luck

18. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

Now things are getting confusing lol but I appreciate the help. I was kind of worried as well when he didn’t list each model to the parts. I am also worried about the 120gb ssd and if I need the liquid cooling.

19. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I updated my statement above.

I understand that feeling of confusion. If your feeling that way best to take a breath and not rush into it as it can end up costing your more in the long run. Personally I have always just sourced each individual part myself and put my PC together. If you don't know how to you can buy the parts and get someone to put it together.. Unless it is a really good deal a lot of these low-mid pc deals are about getting the cheapest parts & brands combos to make the most profit. As you probably already know pc hardware is a competitive market so there is not a lot of wiggle room. Currently I am looking at rebuilding my pc. This will take months of careful planning so that I can get a good 7 years out of it.

20. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Just ask him for an itemized list in detail on all parts. If you get a vague or hesitant response just move on.. I would also be worried he using cheap Chinese aluminum radiators. I also be worried about the GPU. Does this GPU already come with a water block or is he putting a aftermarket kit on. If it is a kit you can kiss your manufacturers warranty goodbye.

Things he does not list is what is the size of the radiator? How many fans will you run in total and what size? What is the pump and reservoir? What case? What size PSU?

Curious, how much was hes quotation?

21. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

And get documentation for each individual component for warranty offered by the component manufacture, including an invoice that clearly itemizes each component.

I even asked for the boxes that each component came in when I picked up the PC.

Coanda likes this.