1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

New to sim racing will this PC build be sufficient?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Fishfirefly, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I would also be open to some good second hand parts. In the US your lucky because there will be plenty of options for you. Like i said earlier you will find some PC enthusiast getting rid of his 1080 ti and/or 7 series i7 so that he can get the latest and greatest. That is worth looking at as it will blow your current quotation away.

2. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

The quote came back to around $1500 which also included this. I told him I wanted to start with asseto corsa, from what I’ve been reading it’s easier to start sim racing with AC but he did recommend jumping into I racing.

Software
    iRacing Full Install
    iRacing 3rd Party Apps
    Voice Command Software (Be VR Ready)
    Fanatec Driver Install VR Headset Install
    Advanced CPU Tuning and Overclocking (Extra Fee with Most Vendors)
    CPU Overclocking Free
    Ram Overclocking Free
    GPU Overclocking Free
    Warranty
    3 Year Warranty/Free Technical Support Via

3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

You do understand iRacing is a paid subscription right? A fairly pricey one at that..

4. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

Yes I do which is another reason why I want to start in AC. One main reason I was thinking of having him build the Pc is he offers technical support. I don’t know how hard it is to set

5. Coanda

Coanda Alien

My ISP offers technical support. Does not mean it's any good. I am not saying he is in this camp. Just do you homework mate before you dive in..

6. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Honestly you have two weeks or so till Black Friday? Do a bit of research on PC hardware and set up some watch lists in newegg and maybe amazon

My list now would be:
    9600kf $206
    Asus Prime Z390-A $178
    G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 kit $90
    NZXT H510 case $70
    Corsair CX650 PSU $72
    Crucial P1 1TB NVMe SSD $100
    NZXT Kraken X62 AIO 280mm water cooler $142
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super $500
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit $99

$1457

Some notes on the above

If 3600Mhz ram is same price or cheaper by another manufacturer then go for that

I like the case and water cooler combo as they are suited to each other and give positive pressure in the case (more air coming in then out) this stops dust build up as intakes are filtered and the other gaps air is being pushed out of instead of sucked in to.

2070 Super is what I would personally consider as the minimum for a decent Rift S experience, the higher the better though, 2080 Super would be my ideal choice at this time

The X62 is fairly expensive on that list but a good cooler, don’t have time to shop around but can probably find it cheaper

Don’t pay anyone else to supply software.

Don’t buy iRacing from anywhere but iRacing direct

Don’t buy windows pro, it’s for business use so you can join The PC to a business domain network which home can’t do

And again, Black Friday deals will be your friend for both hardware and software, wouldn’t be too surprised if you can get the spec above down around $1200 or so during the big sales

All prices above are from newegg as of now

Coanda likes this.
  7. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Nice case. Got my eye on a 710i.. ;)

8. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Yeah, very nice cases, have seen and built a few, always reviewed highly as well.

Was a close call between the H700i and Fractal S2 when I built my PC but went for the Fractal in case I ever decided to build a monster of a water cooling kit with EKWB stuff and needed the little bit extra room for a huge water reservoir. Plus I have now shoved 3X140mm Noctua case fans on the front of mine

9. Coanda

Coanda Alien

@Serge M - Sweet, love the fractal too.. Looks like my current Lian Li minus the glass.. Still tossing up whether to go open or closed loop on my next build. Parts are hard to get here and they come at a premium...

Running some Noctuas now. great fans..

Got any pics of your loop?

10. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

This is awesome and I think I’m going to do as you suggested and wait for Black Friday or cyber Monday. I could swing those parts for that pc build now but I’ll wait and try and save some. I’m guessing I wouldn’t have any issues using this Pc for editing photos in Lightroom?

11. Coanda

Coanda Alien

No issues.

12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Yeah, no issues at all.
    Just keep tabs on that and similar hardware for then. Samsung Evo SSD’s are good and Intel 660P is also decent and can have huge discounts sometimes. Maybe do a little reading on motherboards as there are cheaper options, that ASUS board is good though.

Cases are a personal preference thing but important to get the airflow right. More air in then out and good filters on the intakes

Maybe do some googling on:
    Best case
    Best PSU
    Best motherboard

A little info goes a long way.
    Toms hardware has good best of lists, site is a bit average after their upgrade though

13. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

The water cooler on this build is a must have?

14. Coanda

Coanda Alien

It is a closed loop cooler for your CPU. It's fine and will suit that setup. Easy to mount and nothing to worry about.

15. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Not at all, I personally use a Noctua NH-D15s on my current set up and it’s quiet and very cool. $76

But if not mounting a radiator with fans on the front you would need to add 2x140mm case fans. I use Noctua NF-A14 PWM chroma fans as they are the best by a fair bit $25 each

16. Serge M

Serge M Alien

The loop is a maybe later thing. I priced a full EKWB setup and it was over $1k, maybe if I’m bored and have money to waste some day, that day is not now or in the near future...

Coanda likes this.
  17. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I currently have a noctua CPU cooler with twin 120 mm fans. They are great. The only thing you have to be mindful of is RAM. They do not leave much hight and space however it depends on your MB as well..

18. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Exactly why I went with the slightly less common NH-D15S it has better RAM clearance and is also offset vertically to give better clearance for GPU’s

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16835608072

19. Fishfirefly

Fishfirefly Rookie

So here’s a parts list I picked out very close to your recommendation that saved me a bit of money and I think I might pull the trigger and try and build on my own. Let me know what you guys think!

i5 9600kf
    Be Quiet Dark Rock Slim Air Cooler
    Asus TUF Z370 Motherboard
    Geil Evo potenza 3200MHz 16gb ddr4
    Samsung 960 Evo 250gb Nvme ssd
    1tb western digital hard drive
    Evga RTX 2070 super black
    Cooler Master Master Box Pro5 RGB case
    Evga 750W power supply
    Windows 10 Home

Serge M likes this.
  20. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Looks good, do you really save much going with a small SSD plus HDD vs just a 1TB SSD?

Edit: that slim cooler may limit your overclock a bit, if going air I would go either the Noctua stuff or dark rock pro

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019