1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The Best Cockpit View - Single Screen

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by R3jn, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Maciej Malinowski

Maciej Malinowski Hardcore Simmer

No, correct FOV is more realistic because it presents u things at real size, real size,
    I understand that it’s personal and most people feel weird not seeing their doors and all the other stuff that is beside them in front of them, it always was like that by default in every game and sim.
    We all know the illusion that we are looking at, but it’s just a trick that is unrealistic in it’s very core to give u the perception of your surroundings on very little surface that is monitor screen. Most people feels safe that way, knowing their surroundings at every moment, that’s understandable, no question about that, but the truth is u don’t need those surroundings anyway and them being in front of not in your peripheral vision make more of a distraction than help besides making distances unrealistic.
    Yes monotor is small to real life so to have even more immersion let’s add 2 more screens
    ( and really it comes to immersions and doesnt give u any data of your position->it’s to close and it will disappear even before your brain proceses it, sure cars beside u but still think about it, it’s there(side screen) to know the car is on your side, not to look at it there, and if u know distances(correct FOV) and your position on track u know how much room to give)
    So u can drive on triple screen with correct FOV just turn side ones off, before it looked correct now it’s a bit weird but still correct with no peripheral that can be obtained using mirrors and car radars.
    Let’s go further,
    Compare it to VR with FOV of sth like 100, why is it still real size image with FOV of 100 not small image of 180 deg of vision on 100deg screen, yes u can look around but it’s just a feature of VR u still look ahead at certain points and the phenomena of VR is that everything is there real size, not the peripheral vision, the real size of things that what I wrote at the beginning

2. Maciej Malinowski

Holy **** that’s long

3. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

4. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

We all understand (I hope) that on "correct" mathematical FOV it is more natural to drive(hot lap, no opponents, no sharp turns).
    But which FOV is better for race is debatable.
    You cannot claim it is more realistic to have your side windows and big part of your windshield darkened and use radar app for traffic(is this a flight sim?).

Which cheeseburger is more realistic?
    a) cooked patty of ground beef meat just like in typical cheeseburger
    b) burger from wrong bread, wrong cheese, wrong lettuce, and completely wrong meat

GCCRacer and After_Midnight like this.
  5. Maciej Malinowski

Of course is debatable like a lot of things, but personally I believe that all u need is information of that person being there like spotter saying right side, seeing car in the mirror going into a lane and hearing him beside u, seeing a dot on car radar( with my peripheral vision, I don’t look at it, it’s aside I just take notice of a dot being there) , with correct FOV I can easily tell what my line is gonna be, what his line is gonna be, where can he move, where can I move, what was and what is gonna be his speed and how will it change depending on the line he took, while still focusing ahead of where I need to go, he is like a real car around me I just can’t see him, so what I know where he is, it’s simple to imagine him being there( he is real size after all) just simply taking a glance on radar mirror or hearing spotter, whatever,
    u don’t really pay attention on what’s around anyway, visibility is very poor in a race can helmet and harness anyway and there is no time to look around too. It doesn’t mean that u don’t know what is going on, you absolutely do
    To be honest for me it’s far easier to be that 10cm next to him or even 5 if I want I can tell it’s the same 5cm that is rear 5cm,
    Again it comes down to looking where u should and many people don’t look ahead enough and knowing your surroundings based on their size and position relative to you

6. Maciej Malinowski

7. Maciej Malinowski

This one is goon as well.

8. Maciej Malinowski

9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Of course there's a correct FOV. You're trying to present alternative facts here that don't help the discussion.

You prefer to drive with a geometrically incorrect FOV for certain reasons and that's fine. No need to bring esoterics into a well-understood topic just because you feel somewhat stigmatised.

10. It also not useful for the discussion to call other opinions stupid, BS and lack of skill based.
    It also not useful for the discussion to repeat the own opinion in walls of text over and over again. It will not give it more value.
    It also not useful for the discussion to post a video evidence which prove in fact the opposite.

GCCRacer likes this.
  11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

And you prefer to drive with a visual impairment, compared to what you see in a real car. That's fine for me too.

Maybe we should leave it at that?

EDIT: Just saw the two videos above. That's the tonality I meant - both of them imply that people using anything else than narrow FOV are somehow "doing it wrong". Irony being that "doing it right" then relies on cues that aren't present in real life (radar).

I think the real take-home message here is that there's simple no way to use half a square metre of visual interface (like even my 43" 4K screen) to represent the reality of a modern car interior/cockpit that has multiple square meters of window area..

I'd actually love to experience ACC on Triple-4K-43" like I have, but my PC would melt.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    dajdosta likes this.
  12. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Anyone who wears glasses in real life copes just fine with an 'incorrect' field of view. Anyone who also wears contact lenses - such as myself - regularly switches between two noticeably different fields of view.

Granted these differences aren't huge (I estimate my glasses have ~10% wider FoV) but the point is that the brain adapts perfectly well, just as it does to a 'wrong' FoV when sim-racing.

13. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

Don't you want to recheck your glasses prescription? I don't think that should happen at all.

LeDude83 likes this.
  14. I think it's normal if you switch between glasses and contact lenses. It's not the first time I heard about this. Also my ex girlfriend was talking about it.

BrunUK likes this.
  15. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

It's an inevitably of how lenses work.

16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

I just checked - never noticed, but Brun is right. My glasses do actually change my FOV.

BrunUK likes this.
  17. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

I never noticed until now, but had to look for it.
    When putting on and off I didn’t notice it, but if I look above the lens, seeing part on them and another not, the difference is quite clear.

@BrunUK, not thank you for this:D.
    I already knew I was shortsighted but now I know I also see things distorted. Not needed, one thing was enough.:D

And, even worse, now I also know my ACC FOV is not even realistic at all.:p:D

GCCRacer, After_Midnight and BrunUK like this.
  18. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Ha ha, sorry guys! :oops:

19. viffviff99

viffviff99 Gamer

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I also drive single screen (27") with cockpit view, and Opentrack software (free) with a Delanclip (£40) https://delanengineering.com/shop/ . Not as good as VR, but it has transformed my single-screen experience and makes it able to run at near realistic FOV. I'd highly recommend Delanclip and Opentrack for anyone using a relatively small single screen.

Maciej Malinowski likes this.
  20. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

I just realized...

Small FOV has a telephoto-effect, right? Where distances are squeezed like in a 200mm lens. Or is that a ligic error on ly side?